NFL Network: Griese in

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that Brian Griese will start for the Bears in Week 4 at the Lions.

With another disappointing outing from Rex Grossman and the Bears struggling, a change at quarterback seemed likely. Griese is not a sure fire bet to succeed for fantasy owners long term, though he should have a solid day against the Lions defense in Week 4.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Terrible decision, Rex should have been given one more game. In even worse news, Tommie Harris is expected to be out a month with a knee sprain.

If the Bears want to make the playoffs this season, this move was unavoidable. Maintaining Grossman as the starter, given his play, even with all the other mitigating circumstances (poor O-line Play, disasterous receivers, etc.) only made sense if you wanted to basically say "wait til next year" on Rex. And since Rex is a FA at the end of the season, that seems really stupid to me.

Rex had more than enough chances to even begin to show shreds of improvement. He has not done so. End of story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
If the Bears want to make the playoffs this season, this move was unavoidable. Maintaining Grossman as the starter, given his play, even with all the other mitigating circumstances (poor O-line Play, disasterous receivers, etc.) only made sense if you wanted to basically say "wait til next year" on Rex. And since Rex is a FA at the end of the season, that seems really stupid to me.

Rex had more than enough chances to even begin to show shreds of improvement. He has not done so. End of story.

Excellent post

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)

The big issue is that Griese just isn't good. I put a lot of blame on Turner for not going deep enough this year, especially to Hester. It seemed like the Bears excelled last year when they could get the deep pass going, and it never worked out well when they would try to run it twice and then convert on a pass on 3rd and 6. Now that Rex is done in Chicago, and Griese isn't special, I really hope we're not anticipating Orton being the starter in 2008.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
The big issue is that Griese just isn't good. I put a lot of blame on Turner for not going deep enough this year, especially to Hester. It seemed like the Bears excelled last year when they could get the deep pass going, and it never worked out well when they would try to run it twice and then convert on a pass on 3rd and 6. Now that Rex is done in Chicago, and Griese isn't special, I really hope we're not anticipating Orton being the starter in 2008.

Mcnabb is the leading candidate as of right now, even though he's under contract for next year.

Otherwise it's a stopgap (like Greise) with Brohm or Woodson penciled in for '09

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)

If Griese is, as you say, not good, then it will make no difference at all which QB out of the 2 the Bears go with, the Bears will not be looking at making the playoffs this year. Not with the injuries on the D side of the ball pililng up the way they are and the entire offense performing so poorly.

I'd say Orton can be on the list next year, and probably should get a look this year at some point unless Griese suddenly rules. He certainly shouldn't be handed the job next year. But neither should Griese. The Bears should make every effort to go after a veteran QB somewhere, and they should certainly have the cap space to do so. And if not, then the Bears must take a QB in the first round, at which point, you throw it open in training camp and let whichever QB plays the best earn the starting job in game 1.

Griese isn't great, but he will do better than Grossman. He is also experienced and has been a successful QB for a few stretches during his career. The Bears don't need an elite QB anyway - they can be a playoff team, as long as they have a halfway decent QB who they don't have to write laughably predicatble playbooks around.

This had to happen.

Hey Mr. Pessimism. How many career starts of Greise's have you seen? Oh less then 10? Wait, less than 3!?!? Wow, at least you know what you are talking about.

As I've touted countless times before, Griese is an improvement over Grossman, as you can plainly see with his 84.5 passer rating compared to Grossman's 69.3 rating. Griese also has a career TD/INT of +24 (on some rather bad teams, fyi), while Rex is a whopping -4.

To say Griese is not an upgrade is to spout uneducated post after post after post.

I think the playcalling was an attempt to cater to Grossman, so that he could develop. With Griese in there, I'd bet the playbook changes.

This move was obvious and the correct one, but unless Griese can make the WR's better, the OL younger, and the defense healthier.............this team is still going nowhere. Griese is a modest improvement over Rex though at least, so that's a plus.

Oh, and don't expect the playcalling to change. Anybody who saw late 90's/early 2000's Illini football knows Ron Turner is a fool at calling a game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Hey Mr. Pessimism. How many career starts of Greise's have you seen? Oh less then 10? Wait, less than 3!?!? Wow, at least you know what you are talking about.

As I've touted countless times before, Griese is an improvement over Grossman, as you can plainly see with his 84.5 passer rating compared to Grossman's 69.3 rating. Griese also has a career TD/INT of +24 (on some rather bad teams, fyi), while Rex is a whopping -4.

To say Griese is not an upgrade is to spout uneducated post after post after post.

Considering my brother is a diehard Michigan fan, and Griese was his favorite player to ever play football, I've seen a good majority of his starts in the NFL. He just isn't the same player after his knee injury, and if we think he's going to be able to avoid the rush better than Grossman, we're in a lot of trouble. Like I said earlier, Turner did a pathetic job of letting Grossman go downfield in order to get a big play/penalty.

I'll root for the Bears to win no matter who their QB is. However, if Griese struggles, will it be the fans rooting for Orton to come in, or will they want Rex back? As 101 points out above, there are so many other issues with this team right now. Rex has been brutal so far, but guys like Moose, Tait, etc. have been equally worse.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
I'll root for the Bears to win no matter who their QB is. However, if Griese struggles, will it be the fans rooting for Orton to come in, or will they want Rex back? As 101 points out above, there are so many other issues with this team right now. Rex has been brutal so far, but guys like Moose, Tait, etc. have been equally worse.

I hope the goal is to give Griese a couple starts, let him hold over, in an effort to get Rex back on track and move him back into the starters job. This team has to try to do everything in its power to get Rex to succeed because anything else would be a severe blow to both the current and long term future of the franchise.

I'm hoping this means the club is going to overhaul the QB situation entirely. Let Griese run the team the rest of the year, let Grossman and Orton go at the end of the year. Draft QB's as much as possible, look at trades, and look for those backup QB's out there that have starting potential but that are blocked. Bring them all in next summer in camp, and let the best man win.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
I'm hoping this means the club is going to overhaul the QB situation entirely. Let Griese run the team the rest of the year, let Grossman and Orton go at the end of the year. Draft QB's as much as possible, look at trades, and look for those backup QB's out there that have starting potential but that are blocked. Bring them all in next summer in camp, and let the best man win.

Why would you let Orton go esp. since he's not a FA? I clearly think you're right on letting Grossman walk, and either drafting or trading for one before the start of next season, but I can't see how it makes sense to give up on a 3rd rounder who's been sitting on the bench for the better part of 2 seasons now without at least giving him a shot to be a backup again next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
I hope the goal is to give Griese a couple starts, let him hold over, in an effort to get Rex back on track and move him back into the starters job. This team has to try to do everything in its power to get Rex to succeed because anything else would be a severe blow to both the current and long term future of the franchise.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Remember, the back-up quarterback is always the most popular person in town. Hopefully the Bears respond well before this is a lost season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
Considering my brother is a diehard Michigan fan, and Griese was his favorite player to ever play football, I've seen a good majority of his starts in the NFL. He just isn't the same player after his knee injury, and if we think he's going to be able to avoid the rush better than Grossman, we're in a lot of trouble. Like I said earlier, Turner did a pathetic job of letting Grossman go downfield in order to get a big play/penalty.

You mean the knee injury that ended his 2005 season, after which he has yet to be a starting quarterback of an NFL franchise? I'm sorry, but do you have a personal spot next to Lovie for practices?

Give me a break, and give Griese a shot. His two years in Tampa were quite productive before the injury (97.5 rating in 2004 and 5-1 record in 2005 before injury)...