NFL Network: Griese in

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
Hey Mr. Pessimism. How many career starts of Greise's have you seen? Oh less then 10? Wait, less than 3!?!? Wow, at least you know what you are talking about.

As I've touted countless times before, Griese is an improvement over Grossman, as you can plainly see with his 84.5 passer rating compared to Grossman's 69.3 rating. Griese also has a career TD/INT of +24 (on some rather bad teams, fyi), while Rex is a whopping -4.

To say Griese is not an upgrade is to spout uneducated post after post after post.

Career ratings are less meaningful without looking at the trend. 97-79-62 isn't very encouraging. I say go for it, but to predict he's noticibly better next week is a stretch.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
Why would you let Orton go esp. since he's not a FA? I clearly think you're right on letting Grossman walk, and either drafting or trading for one before the start of next season, but I can't see how it makes sense to give up on a 3rd rounder who's been sitting on the bench for the better part of 2 seasons now without at least giving him a shot to be a backup again next year.

:notworthy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
Why would you let Orton go esp. since he's not a FA? I clearly think you're right on letting Grossman walk, and either drafting or trading for one before the start of next season, but I can't see how it makes sense to give up on a 3rd rounder who's been sitting on the bench for the better part of 2 seasons now without at least giving him a shot to be a backup again next year.

I guess I don't believe Orton is worth it, but, if he has another year under contract, then that's fine, keep him as a backup.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Career ratings are less meaningful without looking at the trend. 97-79-62 isn't very encouraging. I say go for it, but to predict he's noticibly better next week is a stretch.

You're seriously going to count the 32 sporadic attempts he had with the 2nd team last year?

Howsabout we do complete seasons? 76-103-79-86-98

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
You're seriously going to count the 32 sporadic attempts he had with the 2nd team last year?

Fair enough. He hasn't played regularly in a couple years, and he's going to be so much better than Rex. I hope you are correct.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)

I'm not too familiar with the Denver offenses that Griese led in Denver, but I can't imagine the talent around Griese being anywhere NEAR as good as it was in Denver. He's got no wide receivers, his backs can't pickup blitzes, the line is getting old and has been very hit-or-miss (mostly miss). The only thing Griese has on offense is a decent group of TEs (IMO -- I'm pretty fond of the Olsen/Clark combo).

Also, the reason Grossman sucked can be placed squarely on my shoulders. I bought his jersey immediately after he was drafted so Rex was doomed to fail. Sorry bud...

For the record, here's the jerseys I've bought:

Marcus Robinson

Anthony Thomas

Rex Grossman

Tuomo Ruutu (he's pegged for a big year but I'm sure he'll score 15 and get hurt)

Joe Borchard

From now on I don't think I'll buy any current-player jerseys.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm not too familiar with the Denver offenses that Griese led in Denver, but I can't imagine the talent around Griese being anywhere NEAR as good as it was in Denver. He's got no wide receivers, his backs can't pickup blitzes, the line is getting old and has been very hit-or-miss (mostly miss). The only thing Griese has on offense is a decent group of TEs (IMO -- I'm pretty fond of the Olsen/Clark combo).

All the more reason to have an experienced QB like Griese in there.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)

Also, the reason Grossman sucked can be placed squarely on my shoulders. I bought his jersey immediately after he was drafted so Rex was doomed to fail. Sorry bud...

Benson has actually done a very good job picking up the blitz this year. Peterson, on the other hand, has been atrocious picking up the blitz and its assinine that he has continued to play.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
Benson has actually done a very good job picking up the blitz this year.

Not in the games I've been watching, he hasn't. Then again, I also thought Rex did a poor job of identifying blitzes before the snap. Let's see if things change under Griese. At the very least, I want to see more 'QB pointing' to players who might be blitzing. Even if that does nothing, it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable in my chair.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
For the record, here's the jerseys I've bought:

Marcus Robinson

Anthony Thomas

Rex Grossman

Tuomo Ruutu (he's pegged for a big year but I'm sure he'll score 15 and get hurt)

Joe Borchard

From now on I don't think I'll buy any current-player jerseys.

Ouch, that's a tough run, I think i can match you though...

Curtis Enis

Anthony Thomas

Mike Brown (I never get to enjoy this, though I guess it's still current)

Steve Sullivan

Ron Artest (BULLS)

Tyson Chandler

Brian Anderson

I have an Urlacher jersey too, thank God, and a Sox jersey with my last name on it because I'll always be with the Sox, lol.

I do plan on getting a Garret Wolfe Bears jersey, but that's because I went to NIU while he played there, so it'll stay cool forever to me. Other than that, I think I'm done, I've (as you can see) obviously been burned a few times.

As for Griese, he did quite well in 2004 with a less than superb supporting cast around him in Tampa, so we'll see what he does this weekend.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Ouch, that's a tough run, I think i can match you though...

Curtis Enis

Anthony Thomas

Mike Brown (I never get to enjoy this, though I guess it's still current)

Steve Sullivan

Ron Artest (BULLS)

Tyson Chandler

Brian Anderson

I neglected to mention my Steve Sullivan (white) jersey and I also bought a Russian Anton Babchuk (former Hawks first rounder traded for Dan Richmond) jersey. I'm not too embarrassed about the Sullivan jersey -- I love tiny guys who manage to dominate their sport -- but the rest are looking crappy. My only hope at this point is Ruutu.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
I neglected to mention my Steve Sullivan (white) jersey and I also bought a Russian Anton Babchuk (former Hawks first rounder traded for Dan Richmond) jersey. I'm not too embarrassed about the Sullivan jersey -- I love tiny guys who manage to dominate their sport -- but the rest are looking crappy. My only hope at this point is Ruutu.

Yeah, understood... it just sucked that the hawks of course got rid of him the MOMENT he would have needed cash. I remember Babchuk well, it was just two seasons ago.

Of course, my next purchase will probably be a Toews jersey, hahaha.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Yeah, understood... it just sucked that the hawks of course got rid of him the MOMENT he would have needed cash. I remember Babchuk well, it was just two seasons ago.

Of course, my next purchase will probably be a Toews jersey, hahaha.

Can't you buy a LaPointe jersey instead???

I do hope this isn't a one and your done move. He's got to be "the" guy for at least the month of October. It's going to take at least a week or two for his game legs to get under him. We can't judge him on his next 32 attempts.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
I do hope this isn't a one and your done move. He's got to be "the" guy for at least the month of October. It's going to take at least a week or two for his game legs to get under him. We can't judge him on his next 32 attempts.

I can't think of a team I'd rather he start off against than the Detroit Lions.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
I am certain that comes into play.

In my fantasy league, I'm playing against an incredibly woeful team this week, so I picked up Brian Griese for a spot start.

It's a joke that might pay off for like 10 points... haha.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
In my fantasy league, I'm playing against an incredibly woeful team this week, so I picked up Brian Griese for a spot start.

It's a joke that might pay off for like 10 points... haha.

I'm thinking about doing the same, since my QB is Drew "I f***ing suck as bad as Grossman" Brees.

And I have Larry Johnson. Can you say the two biggest fantasy busts this year?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
I'm thinking about doing the same, since my QB is Drew "I f***ing suck as bad as Grossman" Brees.

And I have Larry Johnson. Can you say the two biggest fantasy busts this year?

I'm thinking anyone who drafted in the top 3 is having a real b**** of a time this year... with LT, Jackson, and LJ all sucking.