NFL Network: Griese in

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Press Conference as we speak on 670 AM

Lovie just announced that

#1 Griese

#2 Rex

#3 Orton

I don't think we've seen the last of Rex.

ya gotta imagine that sent kyle off on another bender.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Didn't you just say, two pages ago, that Grossman never starts again for the Bears?

Perhaps, I do know that I said that when I was certain the Bears would do the smart thing and downgrade him to #3.

EDIT: i had the disclaimer "unless Griese gets injured" on there, which actually takes most of the finality of the statement out of there.

anyway, does everyone here realize that Brian Griese has the 17th best career QB rating of all time? just a little number that doesnt mean much but it means something.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
Perhaps, I do know that I said that when I was certain the Bears would do the smart thing and downgrade him to #3.

EDIT: i had the disclaimer "unless Griese gets injured" on there, which actually takes most of the finality of the statement out of there.

anyway, does everyone here realize that Brian Griese has the 17th best career QB rating of all time? just a little number that doesnt mean much but it means something.

HoF credentials.

That rating was before he played for Ron Turner, and behind this offensive line, and before he threw towards #87

If Griese is such a great QB, why was he cut by the last two teams he's played for? Why did he take a two time superbowl championship team and drill them into the ground? I think NFL professionals know a whole lot more about his abilities than the fan base, who hasn't seen him play when it matters in a long time.

This entire QB situation is a joke. None of the quarterbacks on the current roster are worth a damn. I'd argue Rex is the only one out of the three that I'd keep as a backup because even though he makes stupid decisions he can actually throw the ball downfield. What frustrates me so much is that I saw a "new" Rex in the Chargers game. He was throwing balls away, he was making good reads, he was checking down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers, etc. And then he comes home and plays like ass - partly because his o-line is slow and aging, his running game blows, and his receivers literally can't catch his passes.

And how have people totally forgotten the 05 season with Orton? 2 yard pass, 1 yard run, incomplete, punt. 3 yard run, incomplete, incomplete, punt, etc etc etc. Expect the same this weekend against Detroit. Nothing I have seen from Griese in the preseason makes me believe he'll be anything more than a glorified (more seasoned) Orton.

I was fine with the Bears organization sticking with Grossman this year. They had to do it from a business perspective (same with the Thomas Jones/Benson situation). But Angelo better wake-up. He's had a dynasty of a defense for about 3 years now and he's only got one, maybe two seasons left before major players leave or get too old and stop being effective. He needs to throw tons of cash to a big time QB that's an established winner - Cough*McNabb*Cough. It doesn't matter that you overpay for him - the superbowl revenue would outweigh the costs. Relying on drafting a QB will put us in the same position as three years ago. It's a gamble that highly-touted QB's work out - see Leinart, Matt and Leftwich, Bryan - so why waste another 2 or 3 years making the exact same mistake you made with Grossman? That makes no sense.

No one has mentioned this, and perhaps it is the one thing that could make us slightly optimistic, but probably not up to Steve's level. Maybe, just maybe, the team will play better for him. Stranger things have happened. But he's not the second coming of Montana, hell he's not even the punky QB.

Let's see how he does after a couple more starts. After all he does have that splashy career rating. BTW, and since Brett Favre is in the news, his QG rating is only a couple notches about Griase's. 85.5 v. 86.05 and 17th place versus 15th place.

He does deserve a couple more starts, and of course it is impossible to say with certainty that Rex would have done worse or better. But as most people predicted, it wasn't much of a difference. And doesn't history tell us it rarely is that big of a difference?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 25, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
Hey Mr. Pessimism. How many career starts of Greise's have you seen? Oh less then 10? Wait, less than 3!?!? Wow, at least you know what you are talking about.

As I've touted countless times before, Griese is an improvement over Grossman, as you can plainly see with his 84.5 passer rating compared to Grossman's 69.3 rating. Griese also has a career TD/INT of +24 (on some rather bad teams, fyi), while Rex is a whopping -4.

To say Griese is not an upgrade is to spout uneducated post after post after post.

2 INT in the red zone, another taken back for 6. Be careful what you wish for, evidently your scouting report on Griese is a bit stale. Rex threw 5 TDs with 0 INT vs. Detroit last season. Griese is the savior. I guess it could be worse. It was only a few seasons ago I was sitting in Soldier Field listening to "we want Krenzel" chants.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Let's see how he does after a couple more starts. After all he does have that splashy career rating. BTW, and since Brett Favre is in the news, his QG rating is only a couple notches about Griase's. 85.5 v. 86.05 and 17th place versus 15th place.

Screw that...it should be Orton or Grossman. Griese is a backup, pure and simple.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
He does deserve a couple more starts, and of course it is impossible to say with certainty that Rex would have done worse or better. But as most people predicted, it wasn't much of a difference. And doesn't history tell us it rarely is that big of a difference?

I can flat out say that Grossman is a more accurate passer with the ability to throw all kinds more routes. Griese made horrible decisions (the thing that is supposed to make him better than Rex).

Griese is terrible....TERRIBLE. Also, this game isn't all his fault, but than again neither were hte other games where Grossman got all the s*** for (and those games were against teams better than the Lions, imo).

After sitting by watching all the constant critism Grossman took (some of it deserved, much of it undeserved) its time for me to hope that everyone watched today's game and saw that the issue with the offense is much bigger than Rex Grossman.

The main issues are the playcalling (Ron Turner, could you be any more imaginative), the lack of playing to a player strenghts (ie, no deep passes through the first 3 weeks when Rex played as well as the improper use of Cedric Benson by consistently putting in other backs which prevents a power back from gaining a rhtyhm), and of course the offensive line (which is HORRID).

I don't know what to say about Turner. I still think he's superior to any of the coordinators we have had since his first go round at the OC (but I also think Shoop was second to that as Shea and Crowton were horrid and I had no problem with the idea of Shoops system of being a run run run type team). Still, he's failed to use his weapons on numerous situations. All season he went away from Rex and failed to ever stick with the run (something they need to do if Benson is our RB). He has also consistently put Peterson in on passing downs despite being a suspect blocker (compared to Benson or anyone else in the NFL).

Worse than that I want to know where Greg Olsen was today? The only place Griese was able to find anything was down the middle of the field (or his little 2 yard passes to Benson or the WR's) yet I saw Olsen nowhere to be seen (he has speed, good hands and the ability to spread the field).

They have also failed to get our best "tools" WR on offense (next to Berrian who has had the drops) Mark Bradley onto the field. Bradley has always had success with the Bears when healthy yet until today I hadn't seen him step foot onto the turf.

Offensive Line:

Than there is the line. Its old, old and old. Obviously age has gotten to them and they either have to make up for it with experience or the Bears are going to have to deal with this all season (as they don't have suitable replacements on roster) and will obviously need to focus on this area heavily in the draft (to get some young blood into the oline ranks).

QB:

Brian Griese is WORSE than Rex Grossman. You can call me a Rex backer, but bottom line, Rex has the ability to spread the field (both horizontally and vertically) and find a way to help the oline (if he can get passing they will respect the rush more and the oline won't have to deal with so many guys in the box to start every play).

I know Griese doesn't have the strength to throw an out and he can't throw a deep ball. He did have just enough to throw balls to receivers crossing over the middle of the field but even than there were instances where his lack of arm strenght allowed defenders to close and make hits that can prevent the Wr's from catching the ball.

Griese also showed that he too can make mistakes. He threw 3 horrid picks, two in the red zone. I also realize it was one game and he has rust, but my problem wasn't even in the results, it was in what I saw from his arm (he doesn't have the ability to throw a lot of "NFL" passes anymore). He also threw a lot of crosses flat out behind players.

Bottom line, Rex is a more accurate QB with a far stronger arm. Rex can also make good reads but he is not known to overcome being flustered and when things do get going bad they seem to stay going bad (But that is at least semi understandable when you are talking about a younger QB).

Hell, I've seen Rex try to step up and I've seen him even at his worse lead the team on good drives (remember the Vikings game last year where he hit Davis for the game winning score).

The team needs to go with Rex (and see if he can do it these next few weeks) or turn the reigns over to Orton and see if he can be the QB going into next year or if the team needs to go after a guy like McNabb and draft a QB.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:19 AM)
Oh good God.

It was amazing how much criticism he received when there's been so many other players playing just as bad. I repeat, Bernard Berrian has played the worst out of anyone on this team (in terms of dropping critical passes and bad route running). Cedric Benson was far more responsible for the game-changing turnovers in the games Rex played in as well (which I know you'll agree with). The back-up QB is always the most popular player in town, and now the Bears are in a situation where they basically have to stick with Griese.