NFL Network: Griese in

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
It was amazing how much criticism he received when there's been so many other players playing just as bad. I repeat, Bernard Berrian has played the worst out of anyone on this team (in terms of dropping critical passes and bad route running). Cedric Benson was far more responsible for the game-changing turnovers in the games Rex played in as well (which I know you'll agree with). The back-up QB is always the most popular player in town, and now the Bears are in a situation where they basically have to stick with Griese.

Why are the Bears in a position where they have to stick with Griese?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
You and I always get along well.....but were you of the opinion that you wanted to see Griese? I can't recall what position you were taking after the Cowboys game.

I do not think Griese is a starting caliber QB, nor do I think he is the solution for the Bears. BUT, I had no problem with the decision to switch because it was worth a shot to spark the team. It seemed like it had gotten to the point where a move just had to be made, even if just for the short-term. Maybe with a couple of weeks off Rex can clear his head, and come back sharp.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
I do not think Griese is a starting caliber QB, nor do I think he is the solution for the Bears. BUT, I had no problem with the decision to switch because it was worth a shot to spark the team. It seemed like it had gotten to the point where a move just had to be made, even if just for the short-term. Maybe with a couple of weeks off Rex can clear his head, and come back sharp.

I just can't see Lovie making another change anytime soon, as they'll continue to say that Griese is rusty. The worst thing is hearing calls for Orton now. People must forget that he used to overthrow more people than Chuck Knoblauch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
It was amazing how much criticism he received when there's been so many other players playing just as bad. I repeat, Bernard Berrian has played the worst out of anyone on this team (in terms of dropping critical passes and bad route running). Cedric Benson was far more responsible for the game-changing turnovers in the games Rex played in as well (which I know you'll agree with). The back-up QB is always the most popular player in town, and now the Bears are in a situation where they basically have to stick with Griese.

Don't look at me. Even if Rex is a horrible horrible QB I have so much respect for Rex the man. Sure he had his new years eve fiasco where he didn't prepare. However, bottom line he's never made excuses, always worked hard, and even at his worse would take time to answer the media despite how they always s*** on him and s*** on him and s*** on him.

I'm disgusted at it all and its why I've gone out of my way to defend the guy (plus I believe in him as a QB, much less now than ever before, but I still would not be shocked to see him turn into a good to solid QB). Its still not as bad as Jets fans (biggest POS's out there) for cheering when Pennington got hurt.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
I'd give Greise a little more rope... He was still an improvement over Grossman... Sadly...

How exactly was he an improvement? Im not saying he wont be down the road but Griese pretty much lost the game today. We made the switch to eliminate turnovers and play with less mistakes. If he cant do that hes useless. His arm is so weak its amazing that hes in the NFL. He cant go downfield and since theres no running game hes gonna get eaten alive by shallow zones all year.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
Why are the Bears in a position where they have to stick with Griese?

Because Lovie went out and said that he is going to give Brian an ample chance. Once he did that it would come off poorly, imo, for him to make a quick pull as it could lead to people in the lockeroom start questioning things.

Maybe I'm overlooking things, but bottom line, after Lovie did what he did (and I'm not saying he didn't have reason) we are gonna have to see Brian unless he plays as awful against the Pack (and at that point the backs will already be against the wall).

What I think will happen:

I think if Brian plays poorly in that game (GB), at 1-4 (If we are really really lucky, they somehow win in spite of Brian and be 2-3), you'll quickly turn things back to Rex and see if he can fire things up. If he can't and he plays poorly, he will quickly get benched with Orton coming in for the rest of the season as the Bears begin to evaluate whether he could be the guy (and if he isn't they'll look at McNabb).

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
So if this season continues down this route, would anyone be apposed to a draft of Jake Long and John David Booty in the first couple of rounds.

If they take anything but an olineman in the first round I'll throw up. In fact, I think they should take at least 3 lineman in the first day (one tackle and two guards...the tackle being the first rounder).

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
How exactly was he an improvement? Im not saying he wont be down the road but Griese pretty much lost the game today. We made the switch to eliminate turnovers and play with less mistakes. If he cant do that hes useless. His arm is so weak its amazing that hes in the NFL. He cant go downfield and since theres no running game hes gonna get eaten alive by shallow zones all year.

I have no doubt that a couple of my friends have stronger arms than Griese (I'm not being sarcastic either). Hell I think I could potentially throw the ball with similar velocity (even now that my arm is toast thanks to rotator cuff issues).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Because Lovie went out and said that he is going to give Brian an ample chance. Once he did that it would come off poorly, imo, for him to make a quick pull as it could lead to people in the lockeroom start questioning things.

That I can understand. I was thinking he was saying because Rex would not be able to handle it as many people have said in the past.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
That I can understand. I was thinking he was saying because Rex would not be able to handle it as many people have said in the past.

Oh by the way, I was just in a pissed off mood in the NFL thread. You are right, that two drive span to finish the first half was halfway decent (until Griese threw another pick). The only problem was just before the TD drive I started a Bring Back Rexy chant at the bar. By the time the game was over, not only were my 4 best buds (we spend every Sunday at the Bar) agreeing with me about how horrid Griese was, but all the Bears fans at the bar (a good collection of them) were agreeing with me that Rex is better (I was stunned too cause they were the type that s*** on Rex like nothing other).

Not that it means anything of course. The only thing that matters is what Lovie and the rest of the staff thinks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
If they take anything but an olineman in the first round I'll throw up. In fact, I think they should take at least 3 lineman in the first day (one tackle and two guards...the tackle being the first rounder).

Well I figure a perfect draft would be Jake Long and than Booty in the 1st couple of rounds. We get Long put him as LT, move Tait to RT and release Miller/Brown. Let Metcalf or however you spell it take over. Garza/Metcalf/Long are all good for awhile and Tait and especially Kreutz still have a few good years left and some mediocre ones.

And than I just think Booty can be a very good pro, just under-appreciated even though he is on the number 2 team in college and all. Tough to follow Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.

Like most with logic warned, this made a minimal difference. The move did have to be made due to Rex's performance, but Griese was just as bad, if not worse than Grossman. The only difference is Griese threw it 51 times so his numbers look cooler, and he has a much weaker arm. This team just plain sucks and has too many guys hurt, end of story. Hell, maybe we should try Orton, at least he won't turn it over 3 times and have a pick 6 every game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)

I'd agree but it will depend on their draft position, if they somehow have a top eight or ten pick, I'd like to see a trade down and bolster the line, but if they can't move down, I'd go for a skill position.

Neither one can be considered a good QB, but at least the offense actually DID something yesterday. They were able to take the ball down the field several times, and a non-offensive lineman actually caught a touchdown pass. That was with the line, runningbacks, and receivers still having some problems as well. He may have a rag-arm, but he can also find and hit short to intermediate receivers with some kind of consistency.

Obviously the picks are a major problem that will hopefully be ironed out in the next few weeks (not sure how likely that is, though it was his first meaningful game in years), but IMO there was a moderate improvement, which is about the best we could hope for in our current situation. We definitely need to do something to fix the whole QB/line situation this off-season though, we're not going anywhere with any of these guys at QB.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
Neither one can be considered a good QB, but at least the offense actually DID something yesterday. They were able to take the ball down the field several times, and a non-offensive lineman actually caught a touchdown pass. That was with the line, runningbacks, and receivers still having some problems as well. He may have a rag-arm, but he can also find and hit short to intermediate receivers with some kind of consistency.

Obviously the picks are a major problem that will hopefully be ironed out in the next few weeks (not sure how likely that is, though it was his first meaningful game in years), but IMO there was a moderate improvement, which is about the best we could hope for in our current situation. We definitely need to do something to fix the whole QB/line situation this off-season though, we're not going anywhere with any of these guys at QB.

It was nice to see the offense actually move down the field a few times yesterday, but Griese is making the mistakes he was brought in to correct. If he has just one less INT, the Bears probably this game.

This entire offense needs to be rebuilt. The QB situation is pitiful and we all know it. Every week, Benson looks less and less impressive. The WR's are dropping balls left and right and just look mediocore at best. The o-line is a joke. The only position that seems ok is TE -- Turner's just too dumb to utlize Olsen and Clark down the middle.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)

Even the TD to Clark was a horrid pass. At least with Rex you are trying to develop a younger guy, Griese has been like this his whole career. 3-4 good passes and a pick.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Even the TD to Clark was a horrid pass. At least with Rex you are trying to develop a younger guy, Griese has been like this his whole career. 3-4 good passes and a pick.

Rex has already had 5 years in the league though and is likely gone after this year, there's not a whole lot of point in playing him. As long as we have some mis-guided plans of winning this year, I think you have to ride Griese. They only way they'll have any success in the passing game at all with the state of their O-line is with a short/intermediate passing game, and that's just not Rex's game.

time will tell with griese and i do agree that a guy needs more than one game before you draw any conclusions.

that said, when we went to griese i thought we were trading a young, immobile, interception-prone quarterback for an old, immobile, interception-prone quarterback. nothing i saw sunday dissuaded me from that belief.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)

I bet you are still willing to call Rex a rookie because, well, he was really a rookie last year after 4 years it was his first season and this is really only a few games later and he's still adjusting and blah blah.

rex sucks, deal with it. griese is a better QB, not a God, but a better QB, and he gives us the best chance to win.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
I bet you are still willing to call Rex a rookie because, well, he was really a rookie last year after 4 years it was his first season and this is really only a few games later and he's still adjusting and blah blah.

rex sucks, deal with it. griese is a better QB, not a God, but a better QB, and he gives us the best chance to win.

actually no. How could he be a rookie after all these games?