NFL Network: Griese in

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
I'm done with Griese. Put Rex in - evaluate him and either sign him or let him go during the offseason. We're not making the playoffs this year anyway.

Rex has already been evaluated. As much as it crushes me we have to see some Orton this year and then we'll realize that none of the 3 QB's are the answer.

However, Griese's still the best of the lot. Where's that vomit smiley at?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Rex has already been evaluated. As much as it crushes me we have to see some Orton this year and then we'll realize that none of the 3 QB's are the answer.

However, Griese's still the best of the lot. Where's that vomit smiley at?

I wouldn't mind seeing Orton play now that we're essentially done, see if he's actually progressed any in the last two years. If we still have any intentions of trying to win though I agree, it's gotta be Griese. He's the only one that has looked competent in a while, and even he's average at best.

Id rather have Rex.

I think the benching, etc, could do a lot for his career and perhaps make him a better qb in the long run. He wouldnt be the first QB who needed to get knocked off the horse before they actually turned out decent.

Also maybe a sense of urgency that he wont ever start at QB could do wonders for him turning it around.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Id rather have Rex.

I think the benching, etc, could do a lot for his career and perhaps make him a better qb in the long run. He wouldnt be the first QB who needed to get knocked off the horse before they actually turned out decent.

Also maybe a sense of urgency that he wont ever start at QB could do wonders for him turning it around.

I personally doubt that. I really think he needs to get out of Chicago if he has any hope of succeeding, he can't seem to handle the criticism he's received from basically every media outlet since about the middle of last year.

Maybe he can, maybe he cant, but at least he would be stepping in not feeling the pressure of having to QB a Super Bowl contender.

I just think we wasted a first rounder on him, we should at least give him another 1-2 starts. Id like to see him start the game after the bye week, and then if he continues to suck give the rest of the season to Orton.

That way we gave him every opportunity and there wont be any second guessing down the line.

badger badger badger.

go watch the colts. you obviously know nothing about the NFL and the Bears if you want to see more Rex. We saw 27 games of Rex, with a career passer rating under 70 and he was getting worse.

he's not a starting QB in the NFL, and the rexperiement is over. deal with it.

So no QB in 27 games has started bad, and then turned it around?

Really Steve, really?

If this season is lost, you might as well give Rex 1 or 2 more starts, because what does it hurt?

If he sucks, he sucks, thats the end.

But what do we have to gain by not giving him another shot?

Thats all I ask.

Just for fun, here are some HOF QB's stats in their first few years:

Young:

84 USFL- 80.6

85 USFL- 63.1

86- Tampa Bay-56.9

87- Tampa Bay- 65.5

Aikman:

1989 Dallas Cowboys 55.7

1990 Dallas Cowboys 66.6

I guess those teams should have just thrown them under the bus as well.

Oh wait Tampa did, what did they get for Young again?

Now granted, the Boys and Bucs were considerably worse teams, but the fact remains, Turner is one of the worst OC's in the history of football. I only can wonder how Rex would do in a real system that understands offense.

Edited by Soxbadger

Well, it's only 27 starts because he constantly got hurt before last season. He's been in the league 5 years though in the same system and still shows basically no ability to read a defense or find secondary options.

I mean come on, his BEST start at the beginning of this year was 20-34 for 160 yards with a TD and 2 INT's. I really don't think he's suddenly going to go out and show anything different, not when the line still sucks and the receivers often drop balls on the rare occasions that he actually does put it in the right place. There's really no point in playing him, nothing good will come of it, and if by some miracle he did perform well they might be tempted to re-sign him and start this s*** all over again.

I wouldnt say to resign Rex unless he played well in every single game the rest of the season. But I would give him that chance to play well, because Id rather resign Rex at a cheap price, than draft a QB in the first round and 5 years from now have this situation replay itself.

The Bears cant draft offense, and im really afraid of what they are going to do with a high pick.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I wouldnt say to resign Rex unless he played well in every single game the rest of the season. But I would give him that chance to play well, because Id rather resign Rex at a cheap price, than draft a QB in the first round and 5 years from now have this situation replay itself.

The Bears cant draft offense, and im really afraid of what they are going to do with a high pick.

Really? I'd rather take a chance that maybe a newer, younger player would come in and develop than re-sign a guy that you know isn't very good and apparently already decided isn't the answer. Granted I wouldn't spend my first rounder on one as there are other needs and none of them totally thrill me, but you don't really have anything to lose with drafting one, they can't be a whole lot worse than Rex has been of late.

Yeah, they've drafted pretty poorly on offense, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Well Zoom, what pick would you say that they should take a QB?

The only way I would advocate Rex is if he put up a 80-90 rating in every single game from here on out. I do not think you could expect a rookie to come in here and put up those type of numbers. Anyways if Rex did awesome I would sign him to a 3 year deal, still draft a young QB in round 4 or later and have him back up. Most young players are not ready as rookies anyways, so next year the Bears are going to need another QB anyways. If Rex can show he is serviceable you can probably get him for a decent deal that would not handcuff you and allow the Bears to draft the QB of the future.

I just dont see how the Bears can develop anyone with the current OC. They just are so bad at game planning, development, etc that any QB you bring in will be damaged by the time they are done with their first season. The Bears offense needs to completely be rebuilt, and the OC is the guy who needs to go.

How many more horrible game plans do we need to see before we call it?

How many Benson being motioned into the slot do we have to see before we know this guy is clueless?

And Im sorry but 3 ints by Griese in the end zone is inexcusable, those plays to Bradley were horrible. I dont know why you are throwing jump balls to your 4th wr, but I guess thats a recipe for success?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)

The only way I would advocate Rex is if he put up a 80-90 rating in every single game from here on out. I do not think you could expect a rookie to come in here and put up those type of numbers.

You can't expect Grossman to do that either. This is a whole lot of what if that has no plausibility.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)

The only way I would advocate Rex is if he put up a 80-90 rating in every single game from here on out. I do not think you could expect a rookie to come in here and put up those type of numbers. Anyways if Rex did awesome I would sign him to a 3 year deal, still draft a young QB in round 4 or later and have him back up. Most young players are not ready as rookies anyways, so next year the Bears are going to need another QB anyways. If Rex can show he is serviceable you can probably get him for a decent deal that would not handcuff you and allow the Bears to draft the QB of the future.

I just dont see how the Bears can develop anyone with the current OC. They just are so bad at game planning, development, etc that any QB you bring in will be damaged by the time they are done with their first season. The Bears offense needs to completely be rebuilt, and the OC is the guy who needs to go.

How many more horrible game plans do we need to see before we call it?

How many Benson being motioned into the slot do we have to see before we know this guy is clueless?

And Im sorry but 3 ints by Griese in the end zone is inexcusable, those plays to Bradley were horrible. I dont know why you are throwing jump balls to your 4th wr, but I guess thats a recipe for success?

Depends on who's there, but definitely 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest, unless I could get ridiculous value on Brohm, which is doubtful where they'd likely be picking.

And Rex is going to somehow put up those numbers? If the coaching staff even remotely thought that was possible he wouldn't be on the bench. He didn't do that in 2006 when he was playing well, how the heck is he going to do it now? And how does having 3 quarterbacks under contract not take up space for a rookie? I would imangine that if they took one they'd have Griese fill in until they think they are ready, not start him from day one. With the defense that they have they're not going to do that.

I don't argue that Turner is good, and he's probably gone anyways (at least I hope so, that'd be pretty pitiful if he were back). Even with him though Griese had some success throwing the ball the last several games, and he's not all that talented.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
Well, it's only 27 starts because he constantly got hurt before last season. He's been in the league 5 years though in the same system and still shows basically no ability to read a defense or find secondary options.

I mean come on, his BEST start at the beginning of this year was 20-34 for 160 yards with a TD and 2 INT's. I really don't think he's suddenly going to go out and show anything different, not when the line still sucks and the receivers often drop balls on the rare occasions that he actually does put it in the right place. There's really no point in playing him, nothing good will come of it, and if by some miracle he did perform well they might be tempted to re-sign him and start this s*** all over again.

for the record, this is grossman's third year in this particular system. first year he had shoop, the second shea, and then turner.

i don't harbor any illusions that grossman is the short-term or long-term or any kind of answer. he isn't. that said, despite the performance against the eagles (which was great, no doubt) griese has been as bad or worse than grossman was. when we made the move i said i felt we were trading a young, immobile, mistake-prone quarterback for an old, immobile, mistake-prone quarterback. i haven't seen much that would change that opinion.

besides, as many people said a few weeks ago, the offensive problems go way past the quarterback position. i'd imagine that either griese or grossman would perform better if they had a line that could block, a running back that could run, or receivers that could catch. we have none of that.

Steve,

Thats why its called, giving him another chance. If he doesnt do well, hes gone, no questions asked.

I really just dont see what it will harm. If he sucks, he sucks, 1 more loss, 1 more half of Rex wont end this season. Griese isnt going to get any worse sitting 1 more game, and at this point who really cares.

When your starting QB throws 3 picks in the end zone, something needs to change. Id rather give Orton a look over Griese as well. You know with Griese what you are getting, you have 2 unknowns, we might as well see if Orton or Rex has anything for next season.

Zoom,

If you keep Rex, draft a rookie, then youd get rid of Orton or Griese. At this point the Bears dont need Griese, Orton, and Rex, since they all bring about the same suckness.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Zoom,

If you keep Rex, draft a rookie, then youd get rid of Orton or Griese. At this point the Bears dont need Griese, Orton, and Rex, since they all bring about the same suckness.

That's extremely unlikely though, as Griese is currently signed through 2010 and the team obviously thinks he's their best option right now, and Orton is signed through 2008 at a dirt-cheap price. Rex is the one who's contract is up, and even if they got him for the minimum that'd be a 600k commitment.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Steve,

Thats why its called, giving him another chance. If he doesnt do well, hes gone, no questions asked.

I really just dont see what it will harm. If he sucks, he sucks, 1 more loss, 1 more half of Rex wont end this season. Griese isnt going to get any worse sitting 1 more game, and at this point who really cares.

When your starting QB throws 3 picks in the end zone, something needs to change. Id rather give Orton a look over Griese as well. You know with Griese what you are getting, you have 2 unknowns, we might as well see if Orton or Rex has anything for next season.

Dude,

Grossman got plenty of chances to prove himself. What happens if he strings together by the grace of God three straight games with an 80+ QB Rating? All of the sudden "In Rexy We Trust."

This franchise has rightfully moved on and you should, too. Grossman blew his chance with the Bears REPEATEDLY and throwing him back out there for more time is pointless. Grossman will find a spot as a backup on another team and maybe someday start again and put up passable numbers every now and then, much like Joey Harrington. But he doesn't deserve another shot with the Bears and I'd be surprised if he got the chance barring injury.

Benchings help QB's who have attitude issues, or who need to learn the game because they are too young, or who need to learn from a master on the field.

Grossman doesn't have those problems - his problems are an inability to read the field, inability to check down and inability to take care of the football. I can't see how his benching will help any of those things.

If you are in it to still make the playoffs, it has to be Griese. If at some point its a truly lost cause, then put in Orton. Rex is done.