O'Reilly Accused of Racism

spiderman

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
Tex, you lead a sheltered life.

I worked for several newspapers. I think it's funny if moveon paid the extra $40,000 you guys would not be complaining :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't get worked up over the ad prices that were charged. It was a published rate, the only difference was they picked the date, a date it could have run anyways. If it was a weekend only rate and it ran on Sunday, that would raise more eyebrows. I'll also bet advertising has done this before for advertisers. And I would be more concerned if it could be proven the Editors where somehow involved.

I also find it interesting that conservatives are quick to call Rush, and the rest of the GOP Radio Network entertainers and so much different than editorial content, then quickly claim no differences between paid advertising and editorial.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
Oh yes, of course. my bad.

They will admit that moveon.org got a price break that it shouldn't have, but they are using the standard excuse of "laziness and a simple billing error".

I should have known better to credit them with any type of transparency.

I sold ads for a living. My bet is the sales guy just wanted to make the deal happen.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
I sold ads for a living. My bet is the sales guy just wanted to make the deal happen.

Yep. And I'll bet ads this size don't drop in his lap everyday. It isn't like newspaper ads are a growing commodity. It's about the last media sales I'd want to be in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)

Advertising is not an editorial decision. Do you think the editors look at the Macy's ad each week? So you're comparing a decision a sales rep made to Rush's comments? So Rush is equal to a sales rep for the NYT? :lolhitting OK, maybe we can agree on something.

actually the NY times has standards for any ad placed. these ads are reviewed before being published. for one thing, personal attack ads are not supposed to be accepted. a lot of people there knew about the ad before it was published. the whole "oh, just some salesman did this" is a pretty funny excuse.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)

but wouldn't the massive discount have cut into his commission? :lol:

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)

Moveon.org is a regular NYT customer, in that they put full page ads there fairly often to make political statements (i've gotten more than a few emails from them asking for money to do exactly that). It is in the NYT's interest to make sure Moveon.org is a happy customer, just as it is in their interest with any business that buys an awful lot of ad space.

It's also perhaps worth noting that when the "price paid" controversy appeared, Moveon.org voluntarily paid additional money to bring the cost of the ad up to the standard NYT full page rate for a 1-time purchaser.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Moveon.org is a regular NYT customer, in that they put full page ads there fairly often to make political statements (i've gotten more than a few emails from them asking for money to do exactly that). It is in the NYT's interest to make sure Moveon.org is a happy customer, just as it is in their interest with any business that buys an awful lot of ad space.

Ah i see. so i guess it's ok for any media outlet to get away free or highly discounted ads to any political organization who they value as a good customer

we'll see how long you think that practice is OK if FOX's main station starting charging the GOP 1/5 the price for ads, because "they are valued customers"

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
It's also perhaps worth noting that when the "price paid" controversy appeared, Moveon.org voluntarily paid additional money to bring the cost of the ad up to the standard NYT full page rate for a 1-time purchaser.

Yeah, like Hillary just gave back all the illegale money from Hu VOLUNTARILY. ONCE THEY GOT BUSTED! You guys could rationalize a gang rape if it fit your politicl views.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)

I don't know what his numbers were like - maybe its one ad of a promised series for all we know. I can tell you, that people that buy a full page ad RARELY pay the list price.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
Yeah, like Hillary just gave back all the illegale money from Hu VOLUNTARILY. ONCE THEY GOT BUSTED! You guys could rationalize a gang rape if it fit your politicl views.

Not fair. The New York TYimes could have published a guest editorial for free. They made moveon pay for the message and it was labeled advertising. The cost doesn't matter in my book. If they charged $10,000 or $200,000. And I wouldn't care what Rush charges for advertising on his show.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
Not fair. The New York TYimes could have published a guest editorial for free

A massive, full page, pro Democrat bumper sticker slogan guest editorial... I'm actually surprised they didn't do that.