Bill Wirtz Passes Away

Just a guess as a long time Blackhawk follower - my inclination is no management of policy changes will be made this year. The budget is set, the contracts are signed, everything is in place for the 2007-08 season.

Starting next year though I believe you will see some changes and possibly a move toward an ownership change. There are five Wirtz children, along with a couple of nieces/nephews (Wirtz's late brother Michael's children). As people here know, the Wirtz family owns or has interests in over a dozen business ventures (at a minimum). The two most active are Mr. Wirtz's two sons, Rocky and Peter. Rocky is heavily involved in real estate and the liquor business, Judge and Dolph. Peter is more hands on with the Blackhawks and is marketing oriented. He is also heavily involved in Bismark Enterprises.

There have been rumors that Rocky has no interest in being involved with the Blackhawks on a day to day level, and some believe that Peter does not have the same passion for the Blackhawks and hockey in general as his late father.

Believe me there would be numerous individuals and ownership consortiums interested in buying the Blackhawks, far beyond the most mentioned name of Don Levin who owns the Wolves.

Of course nothing can or would happen right away because when someone of Bill Wirtz's magnitude dies, there are huge legal implications, no matter how well things were set up and arranged.

Either way, Mr. Wirtz was outdated and antiquated as a hockey owner and from strictly that standpoint, this may well result in positive changes for the Blackhawks and their fans. From a community standpoint, Mr. Wirtz donated gobs and gobs of money to charity, much of which went unpublicized. It is a loss for the community in that sense, and also obviously to his family who lost a father, husband, grandfather, etc.

As for Pulford, he is 71 now and has mainly been involved in the business aspects of running the team for the last two years, i.e. dealing with the league, helping with negotiations to move the farm team from Norfolk to Rockford (on which he spent most of his time), and much less on personnel matters. Pulford also has three grown children and grandchildren and a passion for his hobbies like fishing and restoring antique cars. I expect him to join his old assistant Jack Davison in complete retirement after this year.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
It takes nuts to write an article like this... good for him! I now heart Ray Slover

link

Truth is truth: Wirtz hurt the Hawks

by Steve Rosenbloom

Bill Wirtz died early Wednesday morning. Condolences to the family of the man who owned the Blackhawks and congratulations to the few remaining fans who will admit to still following the team.

I know it sounds insensitive, but if we are going to pass ourselves off as being in the truth business, then the truth is that the greatest impediment to the Hawks success was the Hawks owner, one of the worst in sports history from a fan's standpoint and the man who almost singlehandedly killed hockey interest in this city. Rich, stubborn and backward, Wirtz's business practices were rooted in another century, protecting the laughable concept of "season reservation holders." In fact, you will probably see more of the man's funeral on home television than you saw of his team. Truth is truth. more

The Blackhawks have to be one of the potentially greatest deals left in professional sports. They have to be undervalued from a franchise standpoint, because they have been so incredibly underutilized as a business, its not even funny. An owner could probably double the franchise value in 5 years with a combination of smart moves, guts, and a little bit of luck.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
The Blackhawks have to be one of the potentially greatest deals left in professional sports. They have to be undervalued from a franchise standpoint, because they have been so incredibly underutilized as a business, its not even funny. An owner could probably double the franchise value in 5 years with a combination of smart moves, guts, and a little bit of luck.

And unlike the NFL, MLB, and the NBA, there isn't enough of a coolness factor in being an NHL owner to attract wannabees. A serious bid probably would not have much competition. But it really just takes two guys with big egos or Scott Boras to raise the price beyond your scenario.

What's odd is how behind the times their front office is... I would know, I interned there two seasons ago. They have ONE paid person behind their marketing, they have one person for PR, and like 12 total paid upper office management types (and I'm being generous here.)

I had to teach their head of PR (I won't name names, but it wasn't who's currently there now) how to use Microsoft Excel... she got the boot during my tenure, but man, that says something right there.

I also find it funny that they didn't bother to broadcast home HD games last year (or take the hit and lug the HD on the road)... high-definition is the single-greatest marketing tool that hockey can use, because it makes such a HUGE difference in presentation, more so than any other sport, imo.

Edited by Steve9347

They broadcasted 5 or so home games in HD last year. Certainly not 41, but there were a few. This year, zero.

I can't stand to listen to any more 'Wirtz was a great guy' stories. Hell I'm sure he was a nice guy in person. However I really don't care, as he ruined the thing that actually affected me and thousands of others. He ran a hockey town into the ground. Being a 'good guy' doesn't change that. Period. No one wants somebody to outright die, but a passing of ownership is reason to celebrate.

And Steve, that's kind of funny about the front office. Again, that's gotta be Wirtz's choice just to skimp out on having more people on board and doing things the right way. He can say all he wants about how he wanted to win, blah blah, but it's a bunch of bulls***. If he truly wanted to win he could have done dozens of things differently over the past 15 years alone. By 'wanting to win' I think of it as he just would have rather won than lost. The Blackhawks were a sideshow toy to him compared to his other businesses.

At least now there is reason for optimism. Nothing's guaranteed to change, but with Bill nothing was ever going to change. At least the door is open. Someone walk in.

While I fully understand the feelings people have about Mr. Wirtz's business practices..... hockey is hockey, and life is life.

I think he is directly responsible for the downfall of the blackhawks, but i can't help but feel sorry for a family that lost its patriarch.

In regards to the tv contract situation, I know that Peter Wirtz, the teams current Vice President, has had contracts on the table... brought them to his father and had them rejected. From what I understand this is a annual occurrence. I'm not sure that Peter will stick with his previous feelings on the matter... but take what it for what its worth.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
They broadcasted 5 or so home games in HD last year. Certainly not 41, but there were a few. This year, zero.

I can't stand to listen to any more 'Wirtz was a great guy' stories. Hell I'm sure he was a nice guy in person. However I really don't care, as he ruined the thing that actually affected me and thousands of others. He ran a hockey town into the ground. Being a 'good guy' doesn't change that. Period. No one wants somebody to outright die, but a passing of ownership is reason to celebrate.

And Steve, that's kind of funny about the front office. Again, that's gotta be Wirtz's choice just to skimp out on having more people on board and doing things the right way. He can say all he wants about how he wanted to win, blah blah, but it's a bunch of bulls***. If he truly wanted to win he could have done dozens of things differently over the past 15 years alone. By 'wanting to win' I think of it as he just would have rather won than lost. The Blackhawks were a sideshow toy to him compared to his other businesses.

At least now there is reason for optimism. Nothing's guaranteed to change, but with Bill nothing was ever going to change. At least the door is open. Someone walk in.

Wanting to win.... and knowing how to win are two different things. Bill Wirtz wanted to win but had no idea how to run a hockey team, especially these past years. The Hawks have spent money lately on the team.... just on the wrong players. Just as they did when Smith was the GM, when Murray was the GM, and throughout the entire time when Pulford has been involved.

just my .02

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 07:35 PM)

I would love to come up with a few people and buy them. :lol:

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
Wanting to win.... and knowing how to win are two different things. Bill Wirtz wanted to win but had no idea how to run a hockey team, especially these past years. The Hawks have spent money lately on the team.... just on the wrong players. Just as they did when Smith was the GM, when Murray was the GM, and throughout the entire time when Pulford has been involved.

just my .02

And unfortunatly, Pulford is still involved.

What's odd is how behind the times their front office is... I would know, I interned there two seasons ago. They have ONE paid person behind their marketing, they have one person for PR, and like 12 total paid upper office management types (and I'm being generous here.)

I had to teach their head of PR (I won't name names, but it wasn't who's currently there now) how to use Microsoft Excel... she got the boot during my tenure, but man, that says something right there.

I also find it funny that they didn't bother to broadcast home HD games last year (or take the hit and lug the HD on the road)... high-definition is the single-greatest marketing tool that hockey can use, because it makes such a HUGE difference in presentation, more so than any other sport, imo.

Their head of PR has been Tony Ohman and Jim DeMaria has been there for at least 20 years. The older lady is Barbara Davidson but she wasn't head of PR.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Their head of PR has been Tony Ohman and Jim DeMaria has been there for at least 20 years. The older lady is Barbara Davidson but she wasn't head of PR.

29th, I thought I read that there's almost two 'factions' -- Pully's side (now) and Peter's side. I hate to ask a question that's based on speculation alone, but what are your thoughts about that? Please tell me Pully isn't going to be around this organization much longer...

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)

Way to name names.

DeMaria has very little to do with PR, and Ohman had nothing to do with it. Jim Blaney's the man in charge of that now... Ohman is basically the athlete "fluffer" and DeMaria shmoozes the big wigs around the NHL and some of the press.

Aside from their titles not matching up, personal experience more than anything else can tell you they have nothing to do with true public relations. DeMaria throws out a few press releases now and then that should be re-written, but other than that, no.

Way to name names.

DeMaria has very little to do with PR, and Ohman had nothing to do with it. Jim Blaney's the man in charge of that now... Ohman is basically the athlete "fluffer" and DeMaria shmoozes the big wigs around the NHL and some of the press.

Aside from their titles not matching up, personal experience more than anything else can tell you they have nothing to do with true public relations. DeMaria throws out a few press releases now and then that should be re-written, but other than that, no.

Way to say that someone didn't know Excel and got let go. Some of us have been extremely familiar with the in's and outs of the Blackhawk front office for years, at greater depth than an internship.

DeMaria has ALWAYS had something to do with PR, the whole broadcasting and media thing is rooted in PR. Tony O. was brought in from St. Louis to help with all the things DeMaria is not very good at, and much of what Tony does is rooted in PR. DeMaria was the PR Director for years, he took over from Don Murphy more than two decades ago. Barbara was primarily an administrative type for many years, she was never in charge of public relations as you suggested, despite titles. Titles in that office are very misleading and it's always been that way. PR down there used to consist of putting out the media guide, coordinating the press box, and making sure the right media and big shots had tickets. Now that it reports through to Peter it's somewhat different.

Saying they only had or haved one marketing guy is a misnomer too. Sofranko is the main marketing guy but all sorts of people there have been involved in marketing based projects. Hockey operations is more heavily staffed now than ever, that's because it needs to be, if they can start winning, that's the best marketing.

29th, I thought I read that there's almost two 'factions' -- Pully's side (now) and Peter's side. I hate to ask a question that's based on speculation alone, but what are your thoughts about that? Please tell me Pully isn't going to be around this organization much longer...

Pulford is 71 now and was Mr. Wirtz's trusted ally. He was also a "checkpoint" for Mr. Wirtz in terms of what Tallon was doing and wanted to accomplish. Pulford will admit freely he doesn't have the energy or inclination to keep up with all the personnel matters, he doesn't know all the players in the league any more, doesn't go to away games and such.

Pulford has been on the decision making "committee", they historically have made their decisions as a group with Pulford and of course Mr. Wirtz having the final votes. Peter has been on that committee (a loose term) for several years now, I would say about 7-8 years. The other son, Rocky, has been arms length with the team as he has always been more involved with Judge and Dolph.

Pulford has always been a control freak but at this point in his life he does not have the energy or willingness to be on top of everythng like he used to. Tallon was very trusted by Mr. Wirtz and to my knowledge has a good relationship with Peter. Tallon technically reports to Pulford as Pully was set up as the checkpoint between Tallon and Mr. Wirtz. The last two years in particular Pulford has backed off getting involved in everything, especially the personnel stuff. His big project was coordinating and helping with the Norfolk to Rockford move.

I expect him to remain in some sort of "emeritus" role, much like Tommy Ivan was in the 80's and 90's, and much like Jack Davison is now. Meaning, if we need you for a special project or we want your input on something, we will call you, but in the meantime enjoy your lucrative pension check. I do not believe they will outright fire him, as loyalty is huge with the entire Wirtz family, not just Mr. Wirtz.

There were two distinct camps when Mike Smith was there. All sorts of infighting and personnel decisions made based on who's "guy" a certain player was. Insane. Now there is much more agreement on who is in the front office. They all agreed on Marc Bergevin, they all agreed on Stan Bowman. They did not all agree on Trent Yawney for example. I think most of that infighting is in the past but then again we are talking about some extremely strong willed guys with an edge to their personalities. Tallon can get quite defensive and edgy, Pulford can be a steamroller and his stubborness is legendary, but frankly that is not unlike the GM's and sr. management guys of any NHL franchise.

Never want to piss on the grave, but there is change happening with this franchise. They have assembled some brilliant young players who just need some time and experience. I'm ready to see this franchise back in the playoffs at the VERY LEAST and Wirtz's death seems to be another salvo that things around here are changing.