Pulp

Texsox

38 members have voted

1. 1. Pulp?

• Lots
    • Medium
    • Low
    • None

If I know for a fact that we are talking FRESH SQUEEZED, and there is a person standing in the kitchen making less than minimum wage squeezing the oranges for me, then I am cool with the pulp.

But if I buy it from a store shelf and there is pulp in there, then that tells me that the juice company is lazy and decided to NOT finish their job. They can get all the pesticides and other microscopic crap out of there, but they can't get the massive lumps of orange carcass out? Come on people, finish your damn job!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 07:33 AM)
If I know for a fact that we are talking FRESH SQUEEZED, and there is a person standing in the kitchen making less than minimum wage squeezing the oranges for me, then I am cool with the pulp.

But if I buy it from a store shelf and there is pulp in there, then that tells me that the juice company is lazy and decided to NOT finish their job. They can get all the pesticides and other microscopic crap out of there, but they can't get the massive lumps of orange carcass out? Come on people, finish your damn job!

I'm not entirely sure but I actually don't think it's at all true that the with-pulp packaged products are the lazy solution. I think it's a bit of a trick from a product stability standpoint and from a texture standpoint as well to be able to squeeze, freeze and reconstitute a juice and pulp product that tastes fresh and has the mouthfeel of a fresh-squeezed product.

Then again, as a Florida resident, I am also an unwitting shill for the citrus industry, so there you go. :P

That's kind of the thing also, I know that if I went to Tropicana Industries I would walk into the place with the giant vats of juice, and it would all be nice and smooth juicey stuff. Then I would look over, and there would be that guy making less than minimum wage standing next to the vat with a bucket scooping out the dehydrated pulp and dumping it into the big vats and making it become rehydrated. It's all a scam one way or another. It just depends, do I wish to think that they are lazy and not taking out pulp? Or would I rather think there is some nasty underworld Pulp Harvesting organization? All of the pulp in our drinks could be the pulp saved for years upon years of marmelade production.

The orange juice industry is a damn scary business when you really think about it.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Or would I rather think there is some nasty underworld Pulp Harvesting organization? All of the pulp in our drinks could be the pulp saved for years upon years of marmelade production.

The orange juice industry is a damn scary business when you really think about it.

Pulp is. . . People!! :o :o :o

No, wait. . . sorry, that's Soylent Green.