South Atlantic Top 20 List coming out Monday

maggsmaggs

I am going to say third behind Colorado's Ray Rouster who put up some sick numbers this year nd TBs Jeremy Hellickson who is young and had a great year. This of course is assuming that Fautino qualifies, which I believe he does, and those top 2 guys are just by looking at stats and age, nothing more. I also expect Gomes and Carter to be 15-20 guys while I think Shelby just misses the cut. So what do you guys think?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
I think you got the magazine in the mail already.

Nope, I am at school and they are sent home, so I dont get BAs till I get back home in two weeks. Am I right? I was wrong about Poreda and Moreno, so I could not have been cheating.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
DLS, Carter and Miranda will be on there, I'd bet. I don't think Shelby will make it, though he is still a prospect worth keeping an eye on.

To whoever has it, does a baseball america subscription feel worth your money?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
DLS, Carter and Miranda will be on there, I'd bet. I don't think Shelby will make it, though he is still a prospect worth keeping an eye on.

Miranda still has a lot to prove. I don't think he is super toolsy so he won't make a list like this, plus his .282 average and .349 slugging are far from impressive.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Miranda still has a lot to prove. I don't think he is super toolsy so he won't make a list like this, plus his .282 average and .349 slugging are far from impressive.

Plus, aside from winning a defensive award in his (weak) college conference, we've never heard anything about his defense. And while we know errors aren't necessarily a direct indicator of poor defense, 20 errors in half a season could be a troubling sign.

I think of him as a younger Chris Getz.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 07:47 AM)
To whoever has it, does a baseball america subscription feel worth your money?

My subscription just lapsed, but I really enjoyed it and when I get off my butt I'm gonna renew again for a 2 year span. For those that like the minors and draft the info is just top notch and the magazine is a good read, imo while the website has a lot of really cool archives and its great to search up for random players when your interested in seeing who this guy is or who that guy is (especially as your reading and getting pumped up about the draft).

BA also has a lot of great free stuff like the daily dish and some other things.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
Plus, aside from winning a defensive award in his (weak) college conference, we've never heard anything about his defense. And while we know errors aren't necessarily a direct indicator of poor defense, 20 errors in half a season could be a troubling sign.

I think of him as a younger Chris Getz.

I don't know why, but I think Getz is gonna have a real solid career. I don't think he'll ever be an all star but for some reason I think of him as the typical type of player that would come up with the Twins and just do all the little things and just be a real solid all around player (its too bad he had that injury that held him up this year cause he was really having a break-out season and establishing himself as someone to at least keep your eye on).

He'll never be an all star, but I could see him on the high end being a Mark Grudz type.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)

As a 20-year-old (I know how you are very focused on the age thing :D ), who was promoted to Low A after hitting .468 in Great Falls the same year he was drafted. And his numbers started low and then just kept getting better - he hit .154 in June, .270 in July, .286 in August, .390 in his last 10 games and .462 in September. And how many players do you see at that level with a nearly 1.5-to-1 BB/K ratio? He does lack power almost completely, though.

His defense, I have no idea other than the stuff Gene mentioned - college awards, but a lot of errors at Kanny. I'd love to see a detailed scouting report on the kid, now that he has been exposed to professional pitching.

I'd still bet even money he makes the Top 20. But these lists always have some surprises - so I guess we'll see.

Damn. I wish I was a member. If you get a chance, ask about Miranda!

Was out for a bit, just asked a Miranda question about an hour into the chat. Not too many questions, hope he didn't shut things down. A Chris Carter question was asked, basically some guy asked if he was legit and did he have a long term shot to replace Thome or Konerko. The response was basically "yes", and a comment added that he who hits, plays in the major leagues.

A John Shelby question was just answered:

One of the lone bright spots in the Sox organization is John Shelby. He played a good season, yet missed the list. Comments?

A: Bill Ballew: Shelby really turned the corner this year. He got tired at midseason before finishing fairly strong. Shelby has great hands and is able to use the entire field. While he does a good job of putting the ball in play, Shelby needs to focus on using the middle of the field in order to put his above-average speed to better use.

Huh? So he uses the whole field ... but he needs to focus on using the middle of the field to put his speed to better use?

Not sure I understand his point.

Chat over, the Miranda question didn't get answered. He answered three Chris Carter questions basically the same way though, hello BA chat question moderator?

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
List is up.

Sox players: DLS is #3, Carter is #10.

I'm kind of surprised Carter is that high. I am also, as I alluded to earlier, disappointed that Miranda wasn't there.

Carter is one of the Sox 5 best prospects and one of the better power prospects in the game (note I said power prospects as I'm not calling him one of the better prospects in baseball, although this time next year he may just be exactly that).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Carter is one of the Sox 5 best prospects and one of the better power prospects in the game (note I said power prospects as I'm not calling him one of the better prospects in baseball, although this time next year he may just be exactly that).

I will go ahead and take credit for the breakthrough. He had to have found his inspiration from somewhere. :)