White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski agree on two-year extension

bigruss

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not like AJ was awful this year. His numbers aren't all that different from Ivan Rodriquez's. Its a fair price. Considering White Sox back-up catchers have 4 RBI this year, it had to be done. What better would be available? Especially for the price. Hopefully, someone can step up and let AJ take a rest against tough lefthanders. His numbers will be better with some more time off and facing pitchers he actually has a chance against.

You can thank Donald Lucy and the rest of the fun bunch on the farm for this move.

AJ really hasn't been impressive this year, with the bat or the glove, but with very few options available, locking up a serviceable catcher isn't the worst move.

True, that is a huge part of it. No one nipping at his heels, but like you said Pierzynski is a decent player at a tough position.

I did hear that they will really look very hard at why they can't seem to develop catchers. Actually they will look at everything but I specifically heard catching. They changed the roving catching instructor after 2005, I can not recall who the new guy is, but it will be under the microscope. They are always signing catchers out of Latin America or drafting them on day one of the draft but nothing comes to fruition.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
You can thank Donald Lucy and the rest of the fun bunch on the farm for this move.

Damn Kurt Suzuki would have looked good for us now. Great drafting whitesox sox!!

EDIT: sorry just one of my mini grudges with this organization.

Edited by SoxAce

You just never know with logic with this organization. Hell, were bringing back Mike freakin Myers for christ sake. They have s***ed in Boone Logan's cheerios for the last time. Not to mention there's a hellova chance we'll be Uribe again in 2008 with us. Don't get anyone started on their "draft philosophy."

I don't know why everybody wants Jon gone.

I know the money, but losing Garland will assure us being a noncontender.

We'll have two decent starters in Mark and Vazzy and question marks in the next

three.

You don't win pennants without good starting pitching.

And our bullpen currently is the worst in baseball except for Bobby.

Jon, Mark and Vazzy would be a decent threesome.

I don't see how they can have just two reliable starters, I'm assuming Jose is gone.

He's too old.

If they truly bring Myers back, that could be the nail in Kenny's coffin.

That guy is finished.

He cannot pitch.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Don't rip the Sox on what Mark Gonzales speculates on. Even with the article, I will shocked to see Myers back next season.

Point is, I wouldn't be shocked. Were you expecting Pods to be back with us this season? You just don't know what direction they are going behind closed doors.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)

This idea has become a reoccuring theme. It was true with Erstad, Podsednik, Dye, Pierzynski, and it'll probably be true with Uribe.

When will it end?

I believe if Garland is resigned, that'll be about it with me. He needs to be traded before next season, and if we're unwilling to allow Egbert or Gonzalez to replace him -- and accept their struggles (since they are White Sox prospects), then the entire system needs to be overhauled.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
When Juan Pierre got a $44 mill deal, it made a lot of sense.

I believed that for a while, but I think I (we) have been proven wrong on that front. The organization (Kenny Williams?) fell under the belief that it needed a "leadoff man", that putting Iguchi there and being done with it wasn't a good option. Bringing Podsednik back, even at a relatively cheap price, blew up in the team's face (and they deserved it, as much as I hate to say it).

Then again, I think the LF spot was doomed to fail from the start. I wanted the Sox to go after one of the guys Cleveland grabbed (Delluci or Nixon) -- they've been hurt and bad -- or Alou -- he's been really good but hurt. The only feasible option would have been with the ballsy move of going after Bonds.

Still, the organization would've been better off just putting Mackowiak in LF to start the year.

I have no problem with the signing for the present,but the sox definetly have to start looking for an AJ replacement now and not just lay back thinking we got a good AJ for the next few.I was dissapointed with his approach at the plate this year,it was swing for the fences in every situation.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
I believed that for a while, but I think I (we) have been proven wrong on that front. The organization (Kenny Williams?) fell under the belief that it needed a "leadoff man", that putting Iguchi there and being done with it wasn't a good option. Bringing Podsednik back, even at a relatively cheap price, blew up in the team's face (and they deserved it, as much as I hate to say it).

Then again, I think the LF spot was doomed to fail from the start. I wanted the Sox to go after one of the guys Cleveland grabbed (Delluci or Nixon) -- they've been hurt and bad -- or Alou -- he's been really good but hurt. The only feasible option would have been with the ballsy move of going after Bonds.

Still, the organization would've been better off just putting Mackowiak in LF to start the year.

Oh I'm in absolute agreement with you on this; there is some type of weird necessity/obsession it seems to have a speedy leadoff hitter, when really, Mackowiak or Iguchi would have been just fine in the leadoff spot.

I was merely looking at it from the organization's point of view, and how, even as terrible as he was, Podsednik was a much better investment than Pierre.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
When Juan Pierre got a $44 mill deal, it made a lot of sense.

Oh ya dats right. Considering he was our best/only "option" out there the past winter who can fit the typical run bases all fast and stuff, barely get on with his singles, and has that "cannon" of an arm to reach the bases and home plate. Please. That's what their thinking was for a leadoff hitter. Now a year later, judging from Tony's sig Ozzie is now preaching OBP. Maybe one day as some here believe a true leadoff hitter needs, he'll be preaching SLG too. Ozzie is Ozzie what he says. Maybe they'll be a bright light when he can back it and f*** up.