Am I missing something???

gosox41

Sign ARod. Bat Richar leadoff. If ARod stays with Yanks sign the little guy from St. Louis and bat him leadoff. Sign ARow. I'm not making more of him than he is, but Jones is past prime. Maybe Torii. Keep Garland. Trade Contreras, Erstad, Pods and minor leaguers for a serviceable fourth starter. Use one of the kids as fifth starter. Trade for bullpen help. Hope Crede is recovered. Hope Ozuna is recovered.

We're going to the playoffs next year. Have faith. We can do it. Kenny can do it. The PLAYERS can do it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
Sign ARod. Bat Richar leadoff. If ARod stays with Yanks sign the little guy from St. Louis and bat him leadoff. Sign ARow. I'm not making more of him than he is, but Jones is past prime. Maybe Torii. Keep Garland. Trade Contreras, Erstad, Pods and minor leaguers for a serviceable fourth starter. Use one of the kids as fifth starter. Trade for bullpen help. Hope Crede is recovered. Hope Ozuna is recovered.

We're going to the playoffs next year. Have faith. We can do it. Kenny can do it. The PLAYERS can do it.

1. Pods is a free agent, you can't trade him.

2. No one will want Erstad in trade.

3. Trading Conteras will not get you very much, if you can trade him at all.

4. What little guy from St. Louis? Eckstein?

5. How do you propose to fit ARod into the salary situation without moving Garland or some other high priced player(s)?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
1. Pods is a free agent, you can't trade him.

Well, to be more precise, the Sox can still offer Podsednik arbitration, which does leave him under our control. If another team were willing to pay him $3 mil + for a year, and give the Sox something, the Sox could work that out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
Well, to be more precise, the Sox can still offer Podsednik arbitration, which does leave him under our control. If another team were willing to pay him $3 mil + for a year, and give the Sox something, the Sox could work that out.

He still has one more year in arb? OK, I stand corrected. He isn't a free agent - he'd have to be signed and traded. Somehow I don't see anyone bothering, but you never know.

Anyone know when the arb offer deadline is?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
He still has one more year in arb? OK, I stand corrected. He isn't a free agent - he'd have to be signed and traded. Somehow I don't see anyone bothering, but you never know.

Anyone know when the arb offer deadline is?

October/November -- Free agent filing period, first 15 days after World Series ends.

Nov. 5-8 -- General managers' meetings, Orlando, Fla.

Dec. 1 -- Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their former players who became free agents.

Dec. 3-6 -- Winter meetings, Nashville, Tenn.

Dec. 7 -- Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept the offers.

Dec. 12 -- Last day for teams to offer 2008 contracts to unsigned players.

ESPN

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)

Jones is past his prime? Yet you want Hunter who is older and doesnt have nearly the success that Jones has had?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
I don't know if Williams is so stubborn.

He thought he had a plan to improve the bullpen obviously with these tall

relievers and that plan failed miserably.

He thought Erstad had pop left.

Erstad is no good.

But why is that stubborn.

He miscalculated on Hall, who sucks.

So why is he stubborn?

He may be dumb but not so stubborn.

Well if he doesn't make any major moves with some of the core this off seaosn he's stubborn ebcause he fel in love with '05 and can't let go.

Bob

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
Players likely to be traded, or have their options not picked up, or not re-signed, for 2008 (and their 2008 salaries):

Garland ($12M)

Uribe ($5M option)

Podsednik (~$3M or so)

That is about $20M right there. Now add players who already dropped off payroll from 2007:

Mack ($2.75M)

Gooch ($3.25M)

Add that $6M and you already have $26M in flexibility . Then a few more players, at least some of which might go too:

Contreras ($10M)

Crede (~$6M)

Erstad ($3.5M option)

MacD ($2M)

Thornton ($875k)

So you've got between $26M and $48M of flexibility, depending on who from that last list might leave. That's a pretty large amount of money to play with, assuming the payroll will be allowed to stay at similar levels, with the built-in increases coming up.

the $94 million (or so) dollars the Sox have committed in salary don't include players with options (Uribe and Pods) You're forgetting all the salaryKW undertook resigning this core. Here are what certain player are costing the Sox next year:

PK $12 mill

Thome $8mill

AJ $5 mill

Dye $11 mill

MB $14mill

Javy $11 mill

JG $12 mill

JC $10 mill

That's $83 mill in 8 players right there. JG can be traded, but JC may not be able to without picking up some salary in return or paying another team a few mill to take him. I haven't included Crede who very few teams will want to trade fair value for with his bad back. That's $88 mill. Toby Hall and McDougal are about $2.75 mill each that's $93.5 mill. Ozuna makes $1 mill. That's not even half the roster. If you're going to look at players who aren't going to be here, then also look at players who are getting raises.

Bob

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
Stop with the ARod s***. It's not happening. The money just doesn't match up, and the key most forget is Alex has to AGREE to this fantasy.

Alex had these quotes less than a week ago.

Even if Alex did consider leaving, it would take a huge amount of money. Do you really see the Sox ponying that up? On top of that, the only thing Arod hasn't done in his career is win. Is he really going to sign with a 72-90 team? He made that mistake once.

Scott Borass will have Alex declare free agency. Its all a matter of who ponies up a s***load of money to get him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Absolutely, and IMO SB would be a bad agent if he didn't have A-Rod opt-out. The game is a business, and A-Rod has a chance to make even more cash. I don't blame him.

With that said, looking at the Yanks roster, as well as talking to a few fans that are die hard Yanks fans like us, the biggest FA moves the Yanks are going to make is locking up their own.

ARod isn't leaving NY, and if he does, he certainly isn't coming to the Southside of Chicago.

Brian Cashman is on record as saying if ARod opts out, the Yankees will not be bidding for his services. If he opts out the money they get to cover a big chunk of his salary from Texas no longer comes their way. Its pretty big money. In another thread I was thinking Boras can use this with Tom Hicks to get another one of his clients, maybe Andruw Jones a big contract, saying hey I just saved you $10 million a year or so opting out of that, you need a CF....

Cashman's statement may just be part of a game, but if the Yankees lose today and ARod doesn't do much, I have a hard time believing he will be back there next season if he opts out. Its hard to believe a guy with his numbers gets the s*** he gets. He's struggled in the playoffs, but so did Barry Bonds for a while. Someday he'll snap out of his playoff funk with authority.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
I have a quick question... why does everyone seem so sure that Garland is 99.9% out the door?

I heard on one of the Saturday morning radio baseball programs (I don't remember which station's) that Garland and Konerko are considered to have the greatest trade value. That could be why.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
I heard on one of the Saturday morning radio baseball programs (I don't remember which station's) that Garland and Konerko are considered to have the greatest trade value. That could be why.

Garland will be with the Sox on Opening Day, along with ARod. You guys listen too much to the idiot sportswriters in Chicago, who have never been correct in anything they write about possible Sox moves. Just because Cowley says Garland is gone, doesn't make it so.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)

Konerko does have limited no trade protection in his contract. He either has become or is extremely close to being a 5/10 guy so he will have full protection.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Konerko does have limited no trade protection in his contract. He either has become or is extremely close to being a 5/10 guy so he will have full protection.

Sorry, I meant to clarify - they didn't say Konerko was going to be moved, they were discussing which Sox players would be attractive to other teams.

A caller proposed that Konerko be moved to make room at 1B for Josh Fields, since Konerko had also been a 3B earlier in his career. (The hosts didn't give that idea much credence)

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
Sorry, I meant to clarify - they didn't say Konerko was going to be moved, they were discussing which Sox players would be attractive to other teams.

A caller proposed that Konerko be moved to make room at 1B for Josh Fields, since Konerko had also been a 3B earlier in his career. (The hosts didn't give that idea much credence)

I didn't take it as you thought he would be traded. I do think Garland is out the door.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
I have a quick question... why does everyone seem so sure that Garland is 99.9% out the door?

1. Because the Sox need to create payroll flexibility.

2. The Sox have no farm system and the Sox can get 2-3 prospects for him to fill holes.

3. Buehrle has a no trade clause and Vazquez a ltd. no trade making Garland the best trade chip the Sox can offer.

Bob

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
Garland will be with the Sox on Opening Day, along with ARod. You guys listen too much to the idiot sportswriters in Chicago, who have never been correct in anything they write about possible Sox moves. Just because Cowley says Garland is gone, doesn't make it so.

So what do you know that makes you think Garland will be here and the Sox will sign A-Rod? If I were a betting man, I'd bet the likelihood of botch occurring is miniscule, though not out of the question.

Where do the Sox free up money to sign A-Rod?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
1. Because the Sox need to create payroll flexibility.

2. The Sox have no farm system and the Sox can get 2-3 prospects for him to fill holes.

3. Buehrle has a no trade clause and Vazquez a ltd. no trade making Garland the best trade chip the Sox can offer.

Bob

4. Garland is the one who is a free agent after 2008.

5. Contreras' poor season makes it unlikelier that any team will pay his salary and give us anything decent.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
Brian Cashman is on record as saying if ARod opts out, the Yankees will not be bidding for his services. If he opts out the money they get to cover a big chunk of his salary from Texas no longer comes their way. Its pretty big money. In another thread I was thinking Boras can use this with Tom Hicks to get another one of his clients, maybe Andruw Jones a big contract, saying hey I just saved you $10 million a year or so opting out of that, you need a CF....

Cashman's statement may just be part of a game, but if the Yankees lose today and ARod doesn't do much, I have a hard time believing he will be back there next season if he opts out. Its hard to believe a guy with his numbers gets the s*** he gets. He's struggled in the playoffs, but so did Barry Bonds for a while. Someday he'll snap out of his playoff funk with authority.

And if Alex doesn't put the team on his back and carry them to the World Series, the Yankees won't really want to have him back. Plus I really doubt Alex will want to play there as brutal as the fans and media are going to be to him. Any other place will seem like a vacation after the NYers are done with him.

I see us having a decent offseason. I think we can make some positive moves but not ones that make us a contender (unless it's Arod).

I really would've liked to have seen us make moves at the deadline and dump some of the oldtimers we kept.

I don't see us contending in this division for a couple years with how young Minnesota is. I'd say Cleveland is young but a few of those guys like hafer and blake aren't that young. Regardless, they will be good. The Tigers will be good and the Royals are getting better.

I hate to say "tank it" but I'd like to see a firesale still. Flip the team for some surefire prospects and young proven players. Give them a year or two to get their feet under themselves and then add on some Free Agents.

This what I'd like to see happen.

Deal Garland. Everyone has mentioned destinations for him but one I havent heard is Baltimore. Not for Tejeda either. I read in their newspaper via MVN.com that they may deal Bedard this summer in fear of his contract. He is young and he is proven. So dealing Garland, with his expiring contract, to them with a couple prospects could do the trick. I'd say it would take Garland, Danks, and a couple other prospects. You get Bedard and a bullpen arm.

I'd like to see Thome dealt. I wanted to see him dealt at the deadline. He is constantly hurt for a day or two with nagging injuries. I still think you can get one good prospect for him if you send him to a team like Anahiem, who is desperate for some protection behind Vlad. They're overstocked with middle infielders so I'd imagine you could probably nab Izturis, Wood, or the oft-injured Kendrick. It may take something a little extra with Thome but it would be worth it.

I doubt we can deal Dye or will deal him so I guess he'll be back.

If Arod is not a desire, I'd like to re-sign Crede and try Fields in Left for a season.

I dont know how what kind of contract Alexi Ramirez would command but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. The Sox don't seem to mind after our recent additions from Japan.

I don't know what you all think but Contreras as a reliever intrigues me. All those arm angles and junk s*** that he throws, he could be a decent one inning guy. Plus he is a headcase so he would fit right in.

I'm anxious to see what happens. I can't see them staying pat. If they do and flop again, KW will surely get canned.

So what do you know that makes you think Garland will be here and the Sox will sign A-Rod? If I were a betting man, I'd bet the likelihood of botch occurring is miniscule, though not out of the question.

Where do the Sox free up money to sign A-Rod?

Bob

I don't think they do. Unless they want to deal Garland, Thome and pray someone takes Contreras.

If they want him they will expand the payroll for him. KW has wanted him for a while so I can see him doing anything and everything to convince JR to expand the budget. Maybe some of the Garland money will go to it but who knows.

Arod will pay for himself. He will sell tickets, merchandise, etc. He is the kind of player that draws fans that aren't White Sox fans to come to games, watch them on tv, buy our jerseys.

I'd love to see him here but I don't think it is realistic.