My projected 2008 Charlotte roster

wbicker2424

Just a little something I put together, let me know what you guys think or if I missed somebody.

C- D. Lucy

1B- FA

2B- C. Getz

3B- FA

SS- Andy Gonzalez

RF- R. Sweeney

CF- FA/ Kenny Perez

LF- T. Collaro

DH- FA

SP- G. Gonzalez

SP- J. Egbert

SP. L. Broadway

SP- C. Haegar

SP- A. Sisco

RP- O. Perez

RP- C. Vasquez

RP- D. Day

RP- A. Russell

RP- F. Hernandez

Departing- C. Rogowski, B. Anderson, H. Phillips, N. Masset, J. Bourgeouis

I did not include the minor league journeymen in the departing section as I am acting on the assumption most will not return. I have Bourgeouis, Phillips, and Rogowski leaving as minor league free agents, and the club finding a way to dump Massett and Anderson. These are my predictions of what I think the organization will do and not necessarily what I want to see. I personally would like to see Bourgeouis, Rogowski, and Massett retained for another year. Thoughts?

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Just a little something I put together, let me know what you guys think or if I missed somebody.

C- D. Lucy

1B- FA

2B- C. Getz

3B- FA

SS- Andy Gonzalez

RF- R. Sweeney

CF- FA/ Kenny Perez

LF- T. Collaro

DH- FA

SP- G. Gonzalez

SP- J. Egbert

SP. L. Broadway

SP- C. Haegar

SP- A. Sisco

RP- O. Perez

RP- C. Vasquez

RP- D. Day

RP- A. Russell

RP- F. Hernandez

Departing- C. Rogowski, B. Anderson, H. Phillips, N. Masset, J. Bourgeouis

I did not include the minor league journeymen in the departing section as I am acting on the assumption most will not return. I have Bourgeouis, Phillips, and Rogowski leaving as minor league free agents, and the club finding a way to dump Massett and Anderson. These are my predictions of what I think the organization will do and not necessarily what I want to see. I personally would like to see Bourgeouis, Rogowski, and Massett retained for another year. Thoughts?

I'd personally like to see what Bourgeois can do at the MLB level as a backup infielder; I like Masset's arm, but that may be an uncontrollable circumstance. The rest I really don't care about, though it'd be nice if they'd be able to trade Phillips for something, seeing as how he throws left-handed.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
But our minor leagues suck. :huh

They do suck. I think our AA and AAA teams combined for next season will start the season off with all of ONE position player who projects to be a starter (Sweeney), and even that is extremely debatable.

I'd hate to see Nick Massett leave, but with him being out of options and such, I don't see a way to keep him...

However, he could be a a throw in guy in a deal or perhaps some team in need of a starter (devil rays?) might be willing to give up something worth while for Massett.

also, I find it hard to believe that Jason 'French Upper Middle Class' (The smart ones here will get it ;) ) would just be released when he is a good player to have down in the minors and if Pablo isn't the same next year Bourgeouis would be the likely candidate to replace (similar players).

As for Anderson, I see him Atlanta bound.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
also, I find it hard to believe that Jason 'French Upper Middle Class' (The smart ones here will get it ;) ) would just be released when he is a good player to have down in the minors and if Pablo isn't the same next year Bourgeouis would be the likely candidate to replace (similar players).

What, exactly, do you expect from Atlanta for Anderson?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
What, exactly, do you expect from Atlanta for Anderson?

Andersons trade value is so low that I would rather hold onto him since he still has the potential to become a starter in the future. Why trade him just to trade him? The deal in return would most likely be crap.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
Andersons trade value is so low that I would rather hold onto him since he still has the potential to become a starter in the future. Why trade him just to trade him? The deal in return would most likely be crap.

The Sox would have to find another player of similar status. A busted prospect close to the Majors or in the Majors who might succeed with a change of scenery. Gavin Floyd was a similar case, though even he had more value than Anderson has now. That would be the best way to do it though.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 06:41 PM)

Bourgeois is eligible to be a minor league free agent. I think if he was in the sox future plans he would have been called up when the rosters expanded, his performance was def. deserving of it. I see him leaving for a team that will give him a shot to make the club, even as a reserve utility guy. I personally would have loved to have seen the team give him a chance, and I think his upside is way higher than Andy Gonzalez's will ever be, but I think that being as he was not called up = he is not in their plans.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)

I expect him to be gone because from quotes I've read, the organization has soured on him, and it sounds like he has soured on the organization. It's kind of like the Sean Tracey type deal.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
I do not wish that to be the case, as Atlanta has a history of absolutely raping teams when giving up a bag of baseballs.

And IMO, whichever team winds up being the one that gets Anderson for a bag of balls will wind up doing exactly that.

The Sox are sick of Anderson and they will probably look at moving him, but they won't move him for nothing. They will move him for another highly touted player that has busted a bit (both teams will essentially be counting on a change of scenario helping rejuvanate each players career).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
The Sox are sick of Anderson and they will probably look at moving him, but they won't move him for nothing. They will move him for another highly touted player that has busted a bit (both teams will essentially be counting on a change of scenario helping rejuvanate each players career).

I wouldn't complain at all if that was the case, I just hope we can find something of quality in that bust. I'd take a Gavin Floyd level guy any day, for example. Because I have a feeling Anderson will wind up shipped out to someone for the equivalent of a Dubee, some A ball relief pitcher we'll never see again, and he'll wind up putting up the numbers we wanted him to put up here for someone else.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)
The Sox would have to find another player of similar status. A busted prospect close to the Majors or in the Majors who might succeed with a change of scenery. Gavin Floyd was a similar case, though even he had more value than Anderson has now. That would be the best way to do it though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
I wouldn't complain at all if that was the case, I just hope we can find something of quality in that bust. I'd take a Gavin Floyd level guy any day, for example.

Is there an echo?

I was thinking, I have a feeling that not all these 5 guys:

SP- G. Gonzalez

SP- J. Egbert

SP. L. Broadway

SP- C. Haegar

SP- A. Sisco

Will be in the system in 2008. Gio might be on the big team, others might be traded.

I think the person not being mentioned here who will probably be in that rotation, though, is Ryan Wing. He pitched very solidly for B-Ham this year, his peripherals all looked very good, finished the season strong as a starter (had been a reliever to open the season). But if you look at his history, its kind of bizarre. Started very young (19) in the Sox org, seemed to progress really well 2001-2003 up through A+, then all of a sudden in 2004 he is out of baseball?! Then starts 2005 in the Texas system, pitches not great, and moves BACK to the Sox org to finish the season. Then in 2006, he goes back to Rookie ball, but pitches well. Now a really solid season at AA.

Anyone know more about this guy's story? Was there a major injury or something? I realize he is 25 now, but, looking at what he has done before, I think he might still turn out to be solid. I mean, as great as Gio and Eggy's numbers were at B-Ham, Wing's numbers were right there too.

Wing had a pretty serious shoulder injury and then followed that up with Tommy John in...'04? The organization has been really, really careful with him as a result.

He's best used as a long/middle reliever, and had a darn good year this season. None of the five listed above would be bumped to give him a rotation spot in Charlotte, but he might be a good weapon out of the bullpen, more than most because of his versatility. The only place I could see him opening the season in the rotation would be in Birmingham if they have holes.

Edited by Calderon

QUOTE(Calderon @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
Wing had a pretty serious shoulder injury and then followed that up with Tommy John in...'04? The organization has been really, really careful with him as a result.

He's best used as a long/middle reliever, and had a darn good year this season. None of the five listed above would be bumped to give him a rotation spot in Charlotte, but he might be a good weapon out of the bullpen, more than most because of his versatility. The only place I could see him opening the season in the rotation would be in Birmingham if they have holes.

I agree they wouldn't bump any of those. I am saying if one of those 5 isn't there, I think Wing gets in the rotation. I think its telling that they moved Wing to the rotation, and that he flourished there, in 2007.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
I agree they wouldn't bump any of those. I am saying if one of those 5 isn't there, I think Wing gets in the rotation. I think its telling that they moved Wing to the rotation, and that he flourished there, in 2007.
I might be wrong, but wasn't that a move made out of necessity when Honel crashed and burned and (late in the year) when Russell went to the 'pen?

He certainly did have success, both as a starter and a reliever, I guess the crucial point will be whether the Sox think his arm will hold up under a 150 inning burden. You hear great things about him character/makeup-wise, so I hope he stays healthy and succeeds.