D-Backs Cubs Series thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 06:07 AM)
No surprise tonight. The Cubs just aren't that good. They were the tallest midget in a horrific division. Everybody knew (except fathom) that they would be exposed.

One more and I will playfully toy with Fathom for the entire winter. Until then, however, I'm going to be all "shh". This D'Backs lineup still isn't good and they have Livan Hernandez and Micah Owings going the next two games -- it could easily come back to 'Zona with all the momentum with the Cubs. I know a helluva lot would have to go right for the Cubs to win the series at this point but crazier things have happened. The Cubs lineup could certainly get hot and carry them for a couple games.

One more...

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 02:36 AM)
This D'Backs lineup still isn't good and they have Livan Hernandez and Micah Owings going the next two games -- it could easily come back to 'Zona with all the momentum with the Cubs.

And all that Cub momentum would run smack into Webb. Hopefull it doesn't go that long, though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 01:07 AM)
No surprise tonight. The Cubs just aren't that good. They were the tallest midget in a horrific division. Everybody knew (except fathom) that they would be exposed. And are the D-backs fun to watch or what? Their farm system has come through quite well for them the last few years.

Well, maybe everyone on this site. The ESPN "experts" all fell in line picking the cubs outside of two of them

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007...s?series=chcari

but more SI "experts" picked the D-backs than picked the Cubs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...taff-picks.html

Edited by kyyle23

I'm just glad I don't have to hear every Cub basher's mouth because the Cubs have lost. "OH MY GOD, THEY'RE THE BEST TEAM IN THE NL!!!!" "OH MY GOD, MY NEIGHBORS WILL BE SO MEAN TO ME!" I hope the people who b****ed all season about how afraid they were, or are, of the Cubs have been really giving it to Cub fans. Hell, I -- I of the, "Wrigley Field is beautiful, I don't mind the Cubs very much" mentality -- have really been giving it to Cub fans. And one Cub fan in particular.....if choo know what I mean.

i dont know if i am the only one that noticed this, but i have noticed a very big population of Cubs fans who just expected the World Series for the Cubs as soon as they made the playoffs. No Divisional Series, No Championship series, pass Go and head straight to the World Series. I had a couple co-workers bragging about going to the World Series, and all i could think about when the Sox made the playoffs was "One game at a time.".

to tell you the truth, it kind of seems like the team bought into that mindset as well, because they look like they are going through the motions (Aramis "Rodrigo" Ramirez anyone?)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:31 AM)
i dont know if i am the only one that noticed this, but i have noticed a very big population of Cubs fans who just expected the World Series for the Cubs as soon as they made the playoffs

yeah, I noticed that too. It was the same attitude a lot of Cubs fans had throughout 2004. After '03 and signing of Maddux they just expected to get a free pass to the playoffs.

Other than pandering to the Cubs fans for ratings/reader purposes, I didn't understand people in the media thinking the Cubs were better than the D'Backs. The D'Backs had a better record in a much tougher division.

Lilly had the greatest reaction to giving up a homer ever.

Dan Bernstein the other day read the Baseball Prospectus prediction for the game and BP even overrated the Cubs. They just simply do not manufacture runs and their starting pitching is still suspect.

I like Bernstein, seems like a smart guy, but after the Game 1 loss for the Cubs, he said it would of been nice for the Cubs to win that game but they didn't need it. That is a garbage statement, IMO.

Arizona doesn't seem like the type of team to let up and blow it and have to play Game 5. They are playing well with a lot of swagger and even though Livan Hernandez last playoff start wasn't very good, I would expect him to step up.

Anyone think that with the way Arizona hit Lilly, a lefty, he should start Marquis in Game 3?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
The arrogance of the cub franchise is simply incredible. Without a win in game 2 or 3 there is no Big Z Sunday. If Owings is going to hit he should face Hill or Lilly.

I believe on paper the cubs are as good as anyone in the NL but maybe number 8 in the AL. That said they were never tested all season and the Brewers played down to them. This team has bought into the national media hype that they are a special organization that can turn it on whenever they have to. I still think it will be a series as the cub nation will help and beautiful weather. The shadows Saturday could be really tough.

Don't sell Livan short this is the postseason and he sailed the open sea in a cardboard box.

I feel other teams raise their level of play against them based on the propaganda showered on them. The switch better be flipped ASAP.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:09 AM)
Anyone think that with the way Arizona hit Lilly, a lefty, he should start Marquis in Game 3?

I was thinking the same, but I haven't seen what their season splits are. Hill and Marquis, I believe, haven't been stellar the last month or so. I do see why Lou went with the 3 man rotation, I just think he should have went with Zambrano a little longer.

That's another odd thing, Lou has talked about Sundays game like it is a given it is being played.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/58...-rick05.article

that's Telander's article from the Sun-Times, and it just sums up the odd attitude of a lot of writers. Maybe I was watching a different Cubs team than everyone else, but I saw a team that struggled a lot against quality competition this year

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:15 AM)
I believe on paper the cubs are as good as anyone in the NL but maybe number 8 in the AL. That said they were never tested all season and the Brewers played down to them.

When was the last time they won a series against an above .500 team?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
I'm just glad I don't have to hear every Cub basher's mouth because the Cubs have lost. "OH MY GOD, THEY'RE THE BEST TEAM IN THE NL!!!!" "OH MY GOD, MY NEIGHBORS WILL BE SO MEAN TO ME!" I hope the people who b****ed all season about how afraid they were, or are, of the Cubs have been really giving it to Cub fans. Hell, I -- I of the, "Wrigley Field is beautiful, I don't mind the Cubs very much" mentality -- have really been giving it to Cub fans. And one Cub fan in particular.....if choo know what I mean.

Christ, have you ever been there? I saw Maddux versus Felix Diaz a couple of years ago and it started to rain.....my dad and I got wet in a rain delay despite sitting in a totally protected area.

The I-Cubs park is nicer.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Christ, have you ever been there? I saw Maddux versus Felix Diaz a couple of years ago and it started to rain.....my dad and I got wet in a rain delay despite sitting in a totally protected area.

The I-Cubs park is nicer.

You got a chance to watch Felix Diaz live? I am jealous.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 06:07 AM)
No surprise tonight. The Cubs just aren't that good. They were the tallest midget in a horrific division. Everybody knew (except fathom) that they would be exposed. And are the D-backs fun to watch or what? Their farm system has come through quite well for them the last few years.

It still would surprise me if this series doesn't get to game 5. Supposedly Santo was saying again last night that he wants to beat up Valverde for his show-off antics on the mound. I hate that legless f***er so much.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
It still would surprise me if this series doesn't get to game 5. Supposedly Santo was saying again last night that he wants to beat up Valverde for his show-off antics on the mound. I hate that legless f***er so much.

I love it how cub fans and their broadcasters become enraged over teams showing emotion, or at least that is what they call it when their players act like jackasses.

Ron Santo and his heel clicking. Even pitty won't get him in the hall of fame now.

Sammy Sosa and his double tap, spin, and moonwalk he does everytime he hits a fly ball. Then of course when Valentin does it in a cross town series, Sammy sad, Santo enraged, sox fans laugh.

Zambrano and the ADD fit he throws on the mound. Pointing to the sky, pumping his fist, stomping around the mound. AJ points to the sky during his home run, Zambrano sad, then mad, Santo enraged.

But when someone else does it, its of poor taste. I would like to see a fight between Santo and Valverde. Hell Santo might have more fight in him, that the current 07 cub team does.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)

You "of the only you have this opinion on this site" mentality need to relax about this. If you want a place where Wrigley is called beautiful, and people had fun at wrigley, I suggest the sister site of talkcubs.com. I am sure that the posters of there will be very happy to swap stories of magical nights of drinking, ass grabing fun, and admiration for a dump of a park.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)

I thought that going into the series, but the Cubs look like s***, Hill got lit up in September, and I always get a funny feeling about Cubans in the playoffs.

I think this thing ends Saturday night.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
You "of the only you have this opinion on this site" mentality need to relax about this. If you want a place where Wrigley is called beautiful, and people had fun at wrigley, I suggest the sister site of talkcubs.com. I am sure that the posters of there will be very happy to swap stories of magical nights of drinking, ass grabing fun, and admiration for a dump of a park.

I'm just saying, the sooner this series is over the better. This bulls***, "Cubs are the best NL team," "My greatest nightmare!" nonsense has to end and the sooner it does -- the sooner that miserable franchise and its obnoxious fans and its grating counter-fans can shut up and enjoy the COLORADO ROCKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the better