2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

The DVR is god but on an other point. Lalime was incredible all weekend. Not to point out the obvious but this team really needs to generate scoring opportunities on a more consistent basis. The third and fourth lines are non-existent and hardly generate anything. The defense was pretty solid. Gotta say Barker and Jordan have looked pretty good. I am not sure if it is Williams and Toews being out or Havlat looking like a shell of himself but the number 8 spot in the playoffs would not be pretty if we had to face Detroit.

As for the future, why can't the Hawks handle Habby/Lalime like the Wings treat Hasek and Osgood?

They were pointing on CSN last night but the rest for Habby could be a good thing in the long run.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I thought Kevyn Adams was a defenseman..........

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
The DVR is god but on an other point. Lalime was incredible all weekend. Not to point out the obvious but this team really needs to generate scoring opportunities on a more consistent basis. The third and fourth lines are non-existent and hardly generate anything. The defense was pretty solid. Gotta say Barker and Jordan have looked pretty good. I am not sure if it is Williams and Toews being out or Havlat looking like a shell of himself but the number 8 spot in the playoffs would not be pretty if we had to face Detroit.

As for the future, why can't the Hawks handle Habby/Lalime like the Wings treat Hasek and Osgood?

They were pointing on CSN last night but the rest for Habby could be a good thing in the long run.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I thought Kevyn Adams was a defenseman..........

Khabby hasn't been the same since the rule changes... im not sure if the change in pad size has bothered him, but he looks uncomfortable in net sometimes. Also, he benefitted greatly from some big dudes on defense when he was in Tampa Bay, guys like Cullimore could bear hug the opposition and let Khabby play the angles more effectively.

Sassone in his latest article made a good point also, after Khabibulin, do the Hawks have a goalie who is going to take them to a Stanley Cup?

If they can't sign a Huet in FA, then probably not. I don't think Crawford is probably going to be the guy.

I wouldn't mind targeting Al Montoya from the Rangers, who's stuck behind Lundqvist.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Sassone in his latest article made a good point also, after Khabibulin, do the Hawks have a goalie who is going to take them to a Stanley Cup?

If they can't sign a Huet in FA, then probably not. I don't think Crawford is probably going to be the guy.

I wouldn't mind targeting Al Montoya from the Rangers, who's stuck behind Lundqvist.

I actually got a chance to play with Montoya in High School once, so I'd love to see him come back in play for his hometown team... but I'm not sure he isn't the product of some considerable hype (beating Fleury in the WJC).

Crawford is a stand-up style goalie, which concerns me... I think he also would rely on a strong defense to limit quality chances - but he has been impressive in the A

Khabby is a temperamental guy... he might accept his role for the time being but down the line he will be b****ing about playing time. He's not a workhorse goalie as Savard said when he took over the team last year, he gives the Hawks no better chance of winning a playoff series than Lalime does (and I know you can cite stats to prove otherwise) but Lalime is a bigger goalie, more agile, and is playing with a chip on his shoulder.

If you can get an offensive or defensive piece to help this team, and you get rid of Khabby (maybe even giving up a barker/bolland/brouwer to sweeten the deal) you do it.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
You're sort of playing with fire if you decided to trade Bulin right now, unless you're getting a goalie back. I really liked the idea of trading with Ottawa, and getting Redden and Emery back, but there really isn't any reason for them to take on Bulin.

If you trade Nik, Lalime is a FA after the season, and he isn't the answer in net either, long term anyway. Crawford looks like he could be a good one, but he is still years away from being a cup contending goalie, if he ever gets there at all. So if you trade Nik, you're basically telling everyone you need a goalie. Thats a risky deal in Free Agency. What happens if Bryzgala signs back with PHX, and Huet goes to Pitt or something? Then what?

Tallon is in a tough spot with the G situation. Hopefully they sort it out, because that could be the key to everything next season.

I understand what your saying, but i'm just not sure how to reconcile 33rd in GAA 39th in SV%... Lalime (unless he takes the hawks deeep in the playoffs) isnt going to command major money and would probably stay in town if offered the starting position.

Khabby is costing 6.75 million dollars for the remainder of this season and the next.... unless he is providing consistent play, which he's not, you dont risk much gambling on the offseason when what you have costs sooo much and gives back soo little.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Would anyone take any of Tampa Bay's big contracts (or the Kuba + pick deal) for Khabibulin?

Not sayin there really is any way this would happen but if DT could work out a deal of either St. Louis or Lecavalier or Richards in which all 3 have big contracts. Plus , its been rumored DT want Boyle as well. We would have to give a ton for that to happen and they take Habby and his contract as well.

Edited by EvilJester99

Heres another forward I would look at if I were DT...

Pierre MacGuire stated that Alex Tanguay has agreed to waive his no trade clause on Friday. Reports speculate that Montreal, Boston are possible destinations for the talented winger who seems to be in a rut in Calgary after being demoted off of Iglinas line. (Huselis replaced his spot on the PP.)

Is Suter trying to clear cap space to resign Phaneuf? If so, Tanguay may be had for draft picks, prospects, or expiring contract.

He's also going to have to re-sign Langkow and Huselius. He's going to need that cap space, and seeing how Tanguay has one more year, 5.25 million remaining on his contract, it doesn't look like he's a fit with the Flames.

This may be different from what everyone else thinks, but I'm actually starting to be 'okay' with how our defense is shaping up. We're finally starting to see the depth that Tallon built up pay off a bit. Maybe I'm wearing red-and-black shaded glasses, but I don't think Keith and Seabrook are really stretched anymore as a top pairing. Are they among the top five-ten defenders in the league? Probably not, but they're steadily improving into a top pairing. Similarly, Sopel and Wizniewski aren't at all stretched as a middle pairing, especially when Wiz is healthy. And even our back pairing is okay -- I know Byfuglien gets his share of tongue-lashing on his defensive play, but this is what, his second year in the NHL? The same goes for Barker -- they're obviously going to mistake their mistakes, just as Keith and Seabrook did, but I like the fact that the Hawks seem to be giving them both a long leash.

That brings me to trying to trade for a defenseman like Campbell. He's going to be a free agent after this year, so I don't think it's necessarily smart to be trading Barker + others for him. Players are starting to see what's building up here in Chicago -- they'll want to come here. If Dale likes him that much, I see no reason why he can't snag him this summer.

EJ99 mentioned that acquiring a top-six forward might be a better idea than a stud defenseman, and I'd tend to lean that way, although I'd honestly be okay if Dale just let the team heal up while keeping some of these young kids (Skille, namely) up here. When Toews gets back, this is how I hope we look up front (not trying to necessarily match lines here, BTW):

Kane - Lang - Havlat

Ruutu - Toews - Skille

Bourque - Sharp - Bolland

Burish - Dowell/Perrault - Eager/Adams

I guess my main hope is that these newly acquired veterans don't steal time from some of the kids -- unfortunately, I think that very may well happen.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
I am at work, but I saw the Youtube video of the Ovy-Malkin hit. I really wanted to see them go at it.....

They've been at each other all night, finishing checks and shoving each other around.

This is the kind of hockey I love - wide-open play, not much goonery. Talented players showcasing their skill.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Heres another forward I would look at if I were DT...

Pierre MacGuire stated that Alex Tanguay has agreed to waive his no trade clause on Friday.

I'd love to get Alex... I've always been a fan and he's a great talent and eventually having him and little brother Maxime whom the Hawks drafted last year eventually playing together could be very entertaining and marketable.

"The press box seating chart had two seats reserved for scouts from the Chicago Blackhawks, who played in Phoenix on Saturday. There was also a media pass for Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon at the entrance.

Tallon is on record saying Chicago needs a puck-moving defenseman. Brian Campbell, an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season who has cut off contract talks with the Sabres, is a puck-moving defenseman. "

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/257696.html

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
"The press box seating chart had two seats reserved for scouts from the Chicago Blackhawks, who played in Phoenix on Saturday. There was also a media pass for Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon at the entrance.

Tallon is on record saying Chicago needs a puck-moving defenseman. Brian Campbell, an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season who has cut off contract talks with the Sabres, is a puck-moving defenseman. "

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/257696.html

:pray

I would hope Campbell could be locked up if we could acquire him.

Maybe DT is pulling a KW move and keeping it sealed tight and went for the free game

That would be a sweet move though to get him, but I think it would be a must to lock him up or it would be pretty pointless .. anyways can not wait for tonights game .. hope my cable doesnt go out Wow has been really bad in my area with the weather

I actually hope right now we don't trade a Cam Barker for a Campbell to win now.

This team has shown when healthy, they can win. We're 2 games above .500 (and that's with an 8 game losing streak when we were decimated).

Keep the young core, develop them as we've been doing, and make your moves in Free Agency.