2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

Hawks win 3-0

1st goal by Kane

Next 2 by Bolland

1st shutout of the season and its by Habby!!!! with his first game back from that knee sprain

From listening I think that game was just a great one full of excitement. Habby had a lot of nice glove saves cuz thats all I ever heard

Players waving their sticks again. Go Hawks!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savy is certainly driving me insane with some of his line combos...I say put Buf on the top line with Lang and Havlat or Toews and Kane and have Buf park his ass in front of the net. It would be much like when Vancouver had Gino Odjick on the line with Ronning and Bure....Odjick scored 30+ goals that season just by tipping in pucks fed to him.

Edited by EvilJester99

f***ing sweet Habby

Also thought I'd throw this in there...really odd ending to the Wolves game tonight and something I've only seen happen one other time (but not to win it).

Goes to OT, delayed call on Manitoba, Pavelec (goalie) to the bench. Wolves have the puck in the offensive zone. Martins gets the puck near the goal line, tries to pass it into the high slot, misses everyone and the puck goes all...the...way...into..the...other...net. Game over.

To top it off, their goalie got credit for the goal.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Apparently Pitts is interested in Havlat/Ruutu and are willing to package Staal for them. Interesting.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit080221.html

I wonder if they'd consider a Colby Armstrong for Ruutu deal straight up? They're essentially the same player, but Armstrong is a little taller, and Ruutu has a little more skill... maybe they think reuniting the Ruutu brothers would ignite his game?

I dunno

Its hard to just give up a player like Havlat who is in his prime, and has SOOOO much f***ing talent. Jordan Staal is an exciting return for Havlat, he's big and young... but even at his best, hes probably not as gifted as Havlat.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
Hmmmm....That is certainly something that makes a lot of sense, but honestly, if it was just the 2-1 deal, I think the Hawks come out on the losing end just a bit. I would still love the future, even moreso, but I still think they could get just a little more. I have seen maybe Pitts 2nd round pick, which could make some sense(pretty sure the Hawks don't have one). Someone like Laraque would be a good get, because this team is incredibly soft WITH Ruutu, but he is a UFA at the end of the season, so that doesn't make much sense either.

I do kinda hope something comes of this though. It makes sense for both teams, but especially for Pitt. Havlat with Sid is scary, and I would have to assume Jarkko would like to play with his brother, and vise versa.

It gives the Hawks another solid piece to build on for the future, and thats something you can't really say about Havlat and Ruutu(I'm not a big Ruutu fan, so I'm biased)

I agree with your analysis, the siliver lining with getting rid of havlat is the 6 mil he's gauranteed next year. Staal is a piece to the puzzle, he's 19, 6-4 and has already produced some in the league. I worry about the team not taking a step forward next season though, Havlat helps us do that more than a pick and Staal, if we trade Havlat we better make Forsberg a deal and get him to return to the NHL, or find another consistent PPG player to get us over the hump and back into the playoffs.

Getting Staal would be absolutely sick .. I would be well over excited to get him .. now I read somewhere that the Penguins were not too high on Erik Christensen(http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3470) .. granted he's a center just like Staal it would be something to get back with him for Ruutu and Havlet. It would still seem sorta strange giving up LW & RW for 2 C

Away from that are we set on Ruutu leaving after this season? Also I think Havlet is finally playing the way we want him to so DT will have to pull the trigger. Still the sights of having Staal man a 2nd line right after Toews-Kane-Sharp come off the ice would be excellent to see I would love the acquisition

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Staal isn't more talented, and I'm pretty sure Tallon would even tell you that. However, you know more goes into it than just talent.

1. In the age of salary cap, a 6 million dollar contract needs to buy you "the goods". Havlat flat out hasn't delivered. If thats DT's fault for giving him too much money, so be it, but that doesn't change the fact he isn't producing at the rate he is getting paid.

2. I really believe that Havlat isn't a good influence in the locker room, and thats not what this team needs with such a young core.

3. Staal will be a nice addition to the young core. Going into next season with Toews-Kane-Sharp-Staal-Keith-Seabrook is a very attractive core, and with Marty out of the equation, $$$ can go into a a high impact, vet scorer(Hossa?)

I completely agree with everything you said, especially the bad influence part - he wants to be THE GUY, but pouts too much and isn't a strong enough leader to be THE GUY.

If Dale can get that deal sweetened just a little bit.... i think you have to make it.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
I completely agree with everything you said, especially the bad influence part - he wants to be THE GUY, but pouts too much and isn't a strong enough leader to be THE GUY.

If Dale can get that deal sweetened just a little bit.... i think you have to make it.

how about to sweeten it we give them Habby and we get back 23 year old Marc-Andre Fleury .. lol (kidding of course)

You know, I would be very tempted to make a deal like that, and here's my reasoning.

If the Pirates, say threw in a pick as well, depending on how high it was, then I would probably make the deal.

Making this trade saves you $6M. That money can be used in the off-season to either sign a #1 D-Man such as Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell etc. or a #1 winger to replace Havlat (one who's less injury prone and a better fit in the clubhouse).

Acquiring Staal, would give you a 3 headed monster of young guns in Staal - Kane - Toews. Imagine how the Hawks could market that, these guys could be building blocks. And it probably doesn't help the team that much now, but the Hawks could end up with a top 5 pick in the draft, and only add to that core.

As for Tuomo Ruutu, I don't think we're going to re-sign him. He's playing on what the 3rd line, and only getting about 10mins a game. If you can get value for him now, make a deal I say. He's one of my favourite players, but it's obvious he's never going to be a 60+ point guy in the NHL IMHO.

EDIT: And with the contract of Perrault, LaPointe making up about 4M in the off-season (with some others), the Hawks could maybe sign both a top line winger and D-Man in the off-season. They'd be loaded for 08-09.

Pirates?? we are still talking NHL right?? lol Given that it would have to be sweetened a little more than just Staal but I would be all over that deal. Esp. since you are getting rid of the man of glass in Havlat. Staal may not be as skilled but he his getting damn close. Plus so far is far more durable. Not to mention younger.

Edited by EvilJester99

I have to say I'm intrigued. Two glass players for a young stud like Staal. I'd lean towards pulling the trigger, while trying to squeeze a tad more out...

Havlat's salary and injury history alone make this intriguing, Ruutu also makes decent coin (I believe the two of them together break 9 mill)... Staal has limitless potential as the 2nd overall pick just 2 years ago (one pick ahead of one Jonathan Toews)... he'd fit really well on a club looking for top end talent to put with Toews/Kane.

Seriously, 3 guys under 20 in Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, and Patrick Kane has future Stanley Cup Champs written all over it.

According to another site the proposed trade is Jordan Stall and Ryan Lannon (D) for Ruutu/Havlat.

Staal and Toews played together in the Men's WHC.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
According to another site the proposed trade is Jordan Stall and Ryan Lannon (D) for Ruutu/Havlat.

If thats the proposed deal from the Penguins then I have no clue what they are waiting for. You can not wait much longer on this one just pull the trigger and do it. A 19 year old C and a 25 year old Dman

These would be my top 3 "do it now" deals:

1. Staal/Lannon

2. Staal/2nd

3. Staal/Christensen

done.done.done.

---

So this is really starting to sound like its going to happen, DT said the only trades that he would make would be to "build" what we have already. Well this sounds like that since you cant build on someone that will leave at the end of the season(more then likely) and someone who you cant count on to play a whole majority of a season.

Let's do it DT

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
I have to say I'm intrigued. Two glass players for a young stud like Staal. I'd lean towards pulling the trigger, while trying to squeeze a tad more out...

Havlat's salary and injury history alone make this intriguing, Ruutu also makes decent coin (I believe the two of them together break 9 mill)... Staal has limitless potential as the 2nd overall pick just 2 years ago (one pick ahead of one Jonathan Toews)... he'd fit really well on a club looking for top end talent to put with Toews/Kane.

Seriously, 3 guys under 20 in Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, and Patrick Kane has future Stanley Cup Champs written all over it.

Staal and Toews played together in the Men's WHC.

I dunno if he can play D but Lannon's web design abilities leave much to be desired http://www.ryanlannon.com/

Our friends at The Fourth Period are now saying that not only are the Penguins after Jarkko Ruutu’s brother, Tuomo, but are also after very talented but oft-injured sniper Martin Havlat, and are offering up 19 year old Jordan Staal. I have also heard Ryan Lannon being offered in the deal.

I repeat, wow.

Of course, we all must take all of these trade rumors with a grain of salt, but it’s fun to read them, isn’t it ???

This rumor has only been out a few hours, and many Pens fans are already up in arms over even the possibility of trading the young and talented Staal.

It does, however, present a big decision for GM Ray Shero. If you’re intent on getting that scoring winger on Sidney Crosby’s line, and therefore not breaking up the Malkin/Sykora line, you’re gonna have to give up some significant assets, whether that be roster players, prospects, draft picks, or a combination of all of them.

Blues lost 5-1 to LA tonight so they stay put at 65 points -- They play the Ducks tomorrow

Bhawks definitely need to keep on winning hopefully they can do to LA what LA did to STL tonight

Columbus won tonight in OT .. so they are tied with STL at 65