2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
I really want to say the S word right now .. you know that one that goalies like

SHUTOUT! Hawks win it. Crawford has a very nice game. This team is hot.

Wow, what a time to be playing your best hockey.

That's 9 out of 12 now.

Big time game from Crawford tonight. You knew the Ducks were going to come out in the 3rd and really have a red hot go, and Crawford stood up beautifully.

Unfortunately, Phoenix beat Dallas in Dallas, so we are still behind them.

I think we're only 4 points back of 8th now though, even in games.

Certainly the kid deserves credit and congrats, to shutout the defending champs in a game that big at all, let alone for your first win, is great. But the performance of the defense tonight was nothing short of heroic, holding that team to 19 shots and not that many great chances, plus endless blocked shots. Great game to watch tonight, as was last night.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Wow, what a time to be playing your best hockey.

That's 9 out of 12 now.

Big time game from Crawford tonight. You knew the Ducks were going to come out in the 3rd and really have a red hot go, and Crawford stood up beautifully.

Unfortunately, Phoenix beat Dallas in Dallas, so we are still behind them.

5 straight wins at home if i remember correctly

7. Colorado -- 76

8. Nashville -- 76

9. Vancouver - 74

10. Phoenix - 73

11. Chicago - 72

thats what it looks like right now .. Vancouver looks to be in a downfall .. Phoenix beat Dallas 2-1 tonight

I'm going to throw this out there, and apologies if this causes some heated debate.

Say Crawford gets another 2-3 chances to perform, and does as well as he did tonight.

My question is, can the Hawks go into next season with a goalie tandem of Lalime and Crawford, and trade Khabibulin to a team in desperate need of goaltending?

The Hawks could then use that money they save from trading the Bulin Wall to try and sign Brian Campbell.

You sign Campbell, that improves the defence even more, and would argubly be the big strength of this team. And the Hawks should have some $$$ left over easily to sign 1 maybe 2 top 6 forwards, with the cap rising to $52M next season IIRC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 04:11 AM)

Four points out of seventh, man -- oh yeah, the Hawks are big-time now.

That's gotta be one of the best wins of the past couple seasons. The effort by Kane on the ByfuglienBarker goal was awesome. Kane got completely crunched by Neidermyer, one of those half-bending-over, head-into-the-boards type shots and he stayed down for a good couple seconds before getting up and staying in the play. He eventually made a nice rink-wide feed to Barker who showed some nice patience, waited for things to open up and got it through.

Awesome game.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 05:48 AM)
Question for those smarter than I:

Is Crawford a young fill in type at goalie, or is he somebody the Hawks think can eventually be a solid and legit, consistent starter in the NHL?

That's the million dollar question -- your best guess would be as good as anybody else's. I've heard people from both camps say different things. He's not a Carey Price, a guy you trade your starter for so he can step in. At the same time, he probably needs a shot in the NHL to see whether he can stick -- I don't think he's got a whole lot left to do in the AHL.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm going to throw this out there, and apologies if this causes some heated debate.

Say Crawford gets another 2-3 chances to perform, and does as well as he did tonight.

My question is, can the Hawks go into next season with a goalie tandem of Lalime and Crawford, and trade Khabibulin to a team in desperate need of goaltending?

The Hawks could then use that money they save from trading the Bulin Wall to try and sign Brian Campbell.

You sign Campbell, that improves the defence even more, and would argubly be the big strength of this team. And the Hawks should have some $$$ left over easily to sign 1 maybe 2 top 6 forwards, with the cap rising to $52M next season IIRC.

even with only 1 year left on Bulie's contract, I think hes hard to trade... he still makes 6.75 mil a year. That being said, I'm not sure how high the organization is on Crawford, you can't take anything away from the kid tonight he shutout the defending champs... but I'm still wary that he could even be a serviceable back-up for Lalime (who imo can't handle a HEAVY workload).

just my .02...

what a win tonight. :cheers

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
That's the million dollar question -- your best guess would be as good as anybody else's. I've heard people from both camps say different things. He's not a Carey Price, a guy you trade your starter for so he can step in. At the same time, he probably needs a shot in the NHL to see whether he can stick -- I don't think he's got a whole lot left to do in the AHL.

Thats about the best way to explain it... I have serious doubts about the way the kid plays, but the only way to really know is see him perform against the best in the world and judge him based on that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
Question for those smarter than I:

Is Crawford a young fill in type at goalie, or is he somebody the Hawks think can eventually be a solid and legit, consistent starter in the NHL?

The Blackhawks would have you believe he's the future, publicly, but as recently as two years ago he was not high on their radar. Stand-up goaltenders are practically extinct in favor of the butterfly, so his success is already hampered by that fact.

I'd love to see Crawford make it as a starter in the NHL, but I just don't see it. He could be a solid backup for quite a few years, but I don't think he's starting materials.

In other subjects, this is the best the Blackhawks have looked since the days of Roenick (save the one playoff appearance in the last ten years, but that team played over its head and got dominated by the Blues in the first round).

EDIT: Oh, and you won't be able to trade 'Bulin... at this point he's too expensive, too injury-ee, and just not at the level that makes people scream to take a chance on him anymore.

Edited by Steve9347

When they did not even generate offense on the 2 min 5 on 3 and then the 5 minute 5 on 4 I thought the game was over.

I thought the defense and Hendry and the new guy especially stood tall tonight especially with Wiz out. Barker seems to be getting comfortable as well. They seemed to protect Crawford pretty well. Seabrook and Keith are going ot be the reason why $$$ is not spent on the blue line this summer and I think it is a smart move another scorer and this team could be really good next year. I like Jason Williams as well.

Kane really did step up after that big hit and made a really nice play. He seemed to be a little gun shy up unitl that point....I say that as he had two points.

They played 7 rookies last night and 8 against Vancouver that is amazing. Sopel and Wiz (after the 1st) were out as well.

They seem to play better without Havlat and Bulin...........

Ladd and Byf could really be something. The thing about Byf is things happen when he is on the ice.

The Ben Eager putting the head down and drawing the big penalty was huge.

The Hawks really played in control for the first time in...........I can not reacall. They let the Ducks shot themselves in the head all night. It seemed that they were cognizant of the fact that they had to protect Crawford and be smart and they were. Other than not capitalizing on the penalties more they looked like a sound hockey team last night. If Havlat and Bulin could earn their money they could be something although I think the kids would defer to them more....

I think I underestimated Robert Lang and the things that a Craig Adams could do as well.

Great game.

Edited by Jenks Heat

Well regardless of how this works out, this season has reminded me how much fun hockey is to watch when your team is actually at least modestly good. I still can't just watch any hockey game like other sports, and I admit I am bandwagon-ee when it comes to how much I follow the Hawks, but man....when they are good and the UC is rocking, it's great to watch.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
Boy, oh, boy, Bill sure was right on the money about not showing home games on TV.

No one would go to games if they could just watch them at home.

It sure is harming the "season reservation holders".

I bet bill sure is happy we got rid of that "Christian Ruutu" guy.... the team is playing so much better since he's gone.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Tomorrow night's game is pretty much completely sold-out -- only standing room left.

I actually grabbed some face value outside the stadium last time this happened a week or two ago. Its worth trying if you are in the area.