2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

An interesting blog post on last night's game and the future;

Last night's 6-3 Hawk victory in Columbus was gratifying for a few reasons: snapping a 4-game losing streak, keeping the club's faint playoff hopes alive and icing an intriguing new set of lines.

First of all, no surprise, neither Nikolai Khabibulin nor Marty Havlat were in the line-up. More on that in a moment.

Last night's first three lines were:

Ladd-Toews-Byfuglien

Sharp-Bolland-Kane

Bourque-Lang-Williams

To quote Edzo: STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!!

Now fast-forward to next year, when a healthy Havlat (or so we're told) returns to the line-up. Let's also assume that the Hawks' excellent cap room and desperate need for power play help motivates them to re-sign Jason Williams (a safe, but not sure bet).

Ladd-Toews-Byfuglien

Sharp-Bolland-Kane

Williams-Lang-Havlat

Now, let me first point out that the above third line was our first line at the start of this year. So essentially, six players have emerged as legitimate forwards this year. Kane and Toews no huge surprises. Byfuglien and Bolland, definitely.

Let me also say that what I saw last night was three lines that could score. And that's what a team needs to compete at the elite level of the NHL. Further, Denis Savard's tinkering also provided a real problem for Columbus' defense: if you throw out big physical defenders to deal with the Toews line, look out, because the Bolland line is all speed and skill.

And if your third line features Marty Havlat, Jason Williams and Bobby Lang, you're going to be matched up with opposing team's second and third defensive pairings on some shifts, creating some huge mismatches.

All this underscores what I've felt for a while: Dale Tallon's big off-season priority must be adding an elite power play running defenseman. If he fails to land a Brian Campbell or another two-way stud, then he needs to at least bring in a really gifted offensive defenseman. The kids on the back end are alright, but in my humble opiniion, somewhat overhyped. The power play is still pretty anemic.

Secondly, he needs to make some moves at goalie. In spite of his shutout against Anaheim, Corey Crawford should not be a lock as the future #1.

If Khabibulin comes back healthy, can Tallon find a taker this off-season? If the rumors of a four-goalie swap with Ottawa were true, then perhaps the Sens can be a dance partner for the Wall in the off-season. Again, the Hawks' cap room might not preclude a buyout either. Personally, I'd rather have Patrick Lalime as the de facto #1 at $2 million a year than Khabibulin at $6.75 million. My rough understanding of the CBA is that buying Khabibulin out costs the Hawks roughly $3.5 million next year. $3.5 million plus $2 million is $1.25 million less than $6.75 million.

And I, for one, would like to see Tallon try to re-acquire Craig Anderson, who is quietly proving himself to be a #1 worthy goaltender in Florida. A friend and former scout (and a former OHL goaltender himself) once told me that Crawford can't carry Anderson's equipment bag.

Regardless, adding another potential #1 goalie would not be a bad move at all. Maybe a kid like Joe Fallon emerges this year after signing his first pro contract. But that's a big maybe.

Back to the forwards. Those who feel the Hawks need to add there might also take a look at the AHL stats and see how well Troy Brouwer and Petri Kontiola are doing this year. Both should definitely be factored in for next year as well.

Finally, it'll be interesting see if and how long Savvy stays with the new line combos. Because it could very well stretch into next year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on top of Brouwer and Kontiola there are many other names like Colin Frasor, Versteeg, and Blunden. Then you add on the likes of Skille who did well in his short showing up in NHL.

Hawks lose 4-2.

Kiprusoff was crazy good in the last few minutes of the game when the Hawks were swarming.

Even the most optimistic Hawks fans have to feel like the playoffs have slipped away.

The Hawks will have to win out and get a lot of help. Not going to happen.

Yeah that's probably it now.

Lalime picked a bad time for him to not to play well. He got us back into the race, but he's taking us back out of it unfortunately.

Get a top 10 pick (in a good deep draft, loaded with defenseman), and keep rebuilding.

Have to sign 1 of Hossa or Campbell this off-season I think.

Saw this in the Toronto Sun;

Chicago's Martin Havlat had shoulder surgery earlier this week. He will be ready for training camp next September, but don't be surprised if he's no longer with the Hawks. With one year left at $6 million US on his contract, many observers believe he will be traded in the off-season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 06:34 AM)
I don't see how there is anyway the Hawks can trade Havlat this off-season, unless 1. They pick up half or more of the tab, which unless they really need the 3 million, it's probably a bad move, or 2. They take on a equally bad contract. This last injury was a killer, as he is in Joe Crede territory, with no one knowing if he can play anymore.

#1 isn't allowed

QUOTE(SnB @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
I get to see ovechkin on wednesday, pretty excited about that.

Yeah I wish they were still in contention but what the hell its gonna be a good game to see

Well it would be nice if Khabibulin could actually play in the majority of the games for once in a season, and actually put up good performances like this.

Because he's certainly capable of it, but for the money he's being paid, we haven't seen enough of it, and that's why people think he's a bust.

a "O" on Tony O Night is a very fitting tribute, indeed!

:headbang

I thought the Tony tribute went a lot more smoothly than the Bobby & Stan show - I'm sure it has to do mostly with the fact that there was only one honoree, but it felt a lot less rushed and more focused.

Bringing in Phil without Tony knowing was a nice touch, and Tony was a good sport to throw the mask on one more time.

That save at the end of the game was one of the most incredible saves I have ever seen. It would have been nice to see that Khabibulin for, I don't know, the last 12 million dollars we have paid him... We might actually be in the playoffs then. It's nice to see that he decided to show up now that the season is pretty much over. I hate garbage time superstars. Show up when the season actually matters. :angry:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
That save at the end of the game was one of the most incredible saves I have ever seen. It would have been nice to see that Khabibulin for, I don't know, the last 12 million dollars we have paid him... We might actually be in the playoffs then. It's nice to see that he decided to show up now that the season is pretty much over. I hate garbage time superstars. Show up when the season actually matters. :angry:

I kind of agree with you but I also think he was put in a no win situation when he came here as he was surrounded by crap up until this year. I am hoping he is a tad more rejuvenated for next year and him and Lalime go at it again. Habby is no spring chicken by the way.

The shut-out was pretty cool and there were a couple of highlight reel saves the last one will be in Hawk highlight lore. If you saw the post game interview he was kind of b****ie (or honest I suppose) that the delay is not a good thing and it really seemd to hurt Washington. Josh Mora was like most fans, pretty excited to see the shutout on Tony 'O' and habby wasn't really going with it.

Great game.

Crawford's likely to be the backup next season I think.

The Hawks need to have him play 20-25 games to see if he can take over from 09-10.

So ATM I'd say Lalime won't be back, unless the Hawks could trade Bulin for a good package (which is possible, a starting goalie with an expiring contract and the salary cap rising would have some good value I think).