2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep sounds like the Bulin Wall made some big saves, especially in the 2nd period.

And that's why he's getting paid the big bucks against quality teams to produce games like that.

At this rate, Kane is going to get over 90 points on the season. That's just absolutely sick. I would have been happy if he got around 50 points at the start of the season.

Lang is also averaging almost a point a game, so he's doing his job.

And to have a 3-0 record against Detroit after all of the times they have beaten us over the years, that alone is very sweet.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)
Come back soon Marty....

"Come back soon Marty" is right. We've been spoiled by this season by Toews and Kane, but man -- just think about how great Havlat was last season playing with guys like Jeff Hamilton and Martin Lapointe. I just watched the assist from Havlat last season on a PP against Nashville where he fakes out about three defenders by the circle and threads a pass right on Lapointe's stick for a goal. Aside from loving Havlat's phenomenal hands on that play, my second thought was, WTF was Lapointe doing on the power play? Not to pile on Lapointe here, but we're so much deeper than last season.

I'm (unintentionally) jumping all over the place here, when really I just want to talk about how good the Hawks can be if we can sprinkle some pixy dust on Havlat's shoulder and keep him healthy for the next seven months.

Obviously a huge road trip upcoming. Hopefully they can grab somewhere around half the possible points, 4-to-6. And to add another "hopefully", getting Havlat back any time during this stretch would be a big spark.

So I thought Rocky was the man. Not so much. He cut Frank's role during games. He does the anthem and post game and that's it. No Pelico show, no DUN DUN DUN Let's go Hawks, no crashing the keyboard after opponent goals (tonight it was just 'we're not gonna take it', woopty do), no fight music, no roll out the barrel after goals.

This really pisses me off. Maybe too much so. But Frank is a huge part of my blackhawks game experience and is the only thing left of the old barn, really. Rocky is calling this bulls*** the 'modernization effort.' WTF are you thinking? More rock music that doesn't get the crowd going doesn't do s*** to modernize the game. I see some backlash/petitions coming from this, and I hope this changes. This really does suck.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)
So I thought Rocky was the man. Not so much. He cut Frank's role during games. He does the anthem and post game and that's it. No Pelico show, no DUN DUN DUN Let's go Hawks, no crashing the keyboard after opponent goals (tonight it was just 'we're not gonna take it', woopty do), no fight music, no roll out the barrel after goals.

This really pisses me off. Maybe too much so. But Frank is a huge part of my blackhawks game experience and is the only thing left of the old barn, really. Rocky is calling this bulls*** the 'modernization effort.' WTF are you thinking? More rock music that doesn't get the crowd going doesn't do s*** to modernize the game. I see some backlash/petitions coming from this, and I hope this changes. This really does suck.

Hmmmmm..... thats interesting. i didn't hear anything about it, but if your right then i agree that this is lame. There is a difference between modernizing a team and fixing a problem that doesnt exist. the music sucks, i hate it.

I got to know Frank a little bit last year, and there is nobody who bleeds hawk (red and black?) more than Frank Pelico... I know that his dad was a season ticket holder for a looong time.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)

I dunno, I think I'm okay with trading Frank for all the other cool things going on.

Nobody's perfect, but Rocky's done a lot of good things so far and I know we won't get 100% of what we'd like.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 04:17 AM)
I dunno, I think I'm okay with trading Frank for all the other cool things going on.

Nobody's perfect, but Rocky's done a lot of good things so far and I know we won't get 100% of what we'd like.

What's cool about the new inflatable bud light characters race, more rock music, messing with tradition and something that actually plays to fan emotion, and...more rock music?

So, I'm 24 years old, and being at that critical age I was a tad to young to care when the Hawks got swept in the Stanley Cup Finals by the Pittsburgh Penguins... but I remember that feeling that the Blackhawks were something special.

I've played ice hockey my entire life, and was raised a Blackhawks fan. I REALLY got into the Hawks at the age of 13, I mean obsessed with them, in 96-97, the final year that Jeremy Roenick played for the team. I idolized Tony Amonte, played hockey with him twice as a 15 year old in Rockford, IL.

The Hawks dealt Roenick away, and I was one of the few who loved Alex Zhamnov for who he was... the Hawks played Colorado in the playoffs for the second consecutive year, and I sat 4th row off the ice right next to where Sergei Krivokrasov scored the game winning goal in double overtime against Patrick Roy. The Hawks had just made the playoffs for the 30th consecutive season (albeit as the 8th seed) and really gave those splendid Avs a run for their money in the opening round.

The Blackhawks' downward trend really began the next season, but the idolization of Tony Amonte, Zhamnov, Eric Daze, of course Chris Chelios, that all continued. As stars like Ed Belfour and Chris Chelios left and the team tried to sell us on Jocelyn Thibault and Jeff Hackett, as way past their prime signees such as Wendell Clark, Paul Coffey, Doug Gilmour cycled in and out, as young hotshot players turned to bust or were traded (JP Dumont, Chad Kilger, Remi Royer, Daniel Cleary, Ty Jones, Steve McCarthy, Kyle Calder, Mikhail Yakubov, Pavel Vorobiev, Igor Radulov, this is just off the top of my head, there have been too many misses to count.)

We gave away fan favorites for pennies on the dime such as Zhamnov, Sullivan, and Amonte, then the lockout... the Hawks didn't even seem like they were trying! Dirk Graham, Lorne Molleken, Alpo Suhonen, Brian Sutter, Trent Yawney... the Sutter choking Tyler Arnason debacle... THEO FLUERY. This team, it has tried to kill my love of Blackhawk hockey. Love was not a two-way street in those days.

Well, I finally feel like the Hawks care, like they want to give me a big hug for the years of pain I've felt. These two kids (Kane and Toews) they are for real. They have ridiculous talent. Tuomo Ruutu is finally staying healthy. Hell, we have the 3rd best record in the Western Conference and Marty Havlat isn't even playing. I feel good, I feel proud, I feel great to be a Hawks fan again. The times have changed and I am 100% on board, this team wants a Stanley Cup, and finally, FINALLY, I can see enough pieces in place that that might be a distinct possibility in the next half-decade.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Blackhawk hockey is back, and I couldn't be happier.

/rant

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 08:30 AM)
What's cool about the new inflatable bud light characters race, more rock music, messing with tradition and something that actually plays to fan emotion, and...more rock music?

I think the Hawks organIzation sees how the Wolves are praised up and down about their being fan-friendly and especially kid-friendly, and maybe they're trying to steer in that direction a little bit. (the Wolves fan experience is always the comparison in this regard, and the Hawks never win that comparison)

I just feel that in the bigger picture, a little more rock music and a little less pipe organ (and not even the original Stadium pipe organ at that) isn't that big a loss to make too much of a fuss. You obviously feel it is, and I'm not trying to diminish your opinion, I'm just giving mine as well.

JR was and still is a Blackhawk. As much of a pain in the ass he could be, he really was a good spokesperson for the team. On any given night, you might even see JR out on Division Street.

My family used to have season tickets to the Hawks and as many immenities the UC has, there was nothing that compared to the old Stadium. That place was meant for hockey. I watched last night's game and for the first time in about 10 years, I was excited by the team. I even watched the last two minutes while standing in my family room. I just didn't want them to blow it at the end and ruin a perfect first TV night. Good luck to the Hawks, I will be watching more as the season progresses.

(On a side note, they can not choke during the circus trip. They need to keep above water on the trip.)

Simply put, last night was awesome. I got the feeling that the Hawks really made it hard on the Red Wings and forced them to try and be a little too perfect. The Red Wings did not look as crisp nor did things look as easy for them as it had in the past. I give the Haws credit for this more than the Wings being sloppy.

Nikoli stood on his head for two periods. The third was good although I thought the second goal was cheap. This was the first live game I saw and I thought one of the knocks on Kane was he was smallish. I was thinking Steve Smith small. This he is not.

The music was differnet and I am not sure which way to go. The Mister Mister Broken Wings song was cheesie and the the rock music a bit odd and I can go either way.

Great time all the way around. This team appears very different from the previous years.

To continue with the feel-good posts...

Back in April or May, the Hawks won the lottery to get the first overall pick. I think IlliniKrush texted me, and unfortunately, I can't say my first thought was jubilation. In all honesty -- IIRC -- my first thought was, 'Figures that they get the first overall pick in the year where there's no Crosby or Ovechkin."

Haha... how wrong was I. How different this team, this day, this season would've been if the Hawks didn't win that lottery. Sure, we'd have Toews, but there's not a chance in hell we're 10-7 right now if Kane weren't here.

So yeah -- there wasn't an Ovechkin or a Crosby in the 2007 draft, but there was Pat Kane, who's pretty f***ing close.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
To continue with the feel-good posts...

Back in April or May, the Hawks won the lottery to get the first overall pick. I think IlliniKrush texted me, and unfortunately, I can't say my first thought was jubilation. In all honesty -- IIRC -- my first thought was, 'Figures that they get the first overall pick in the year where there's no Crosby or Ovechkin."

Haha... how wrong was I. How different this team, this day, this season would've been if the Hawks didn't win that lottery. Sure, we'd have Toews, but there's not a chance in hell we're 10-7 right now if Kane weren't here.

So yeah -- there wasn't an Ovechkin or a Crosby in the 2007 draft, but there was Pat Kane, who's pretty f***ing close.

I agree because that was my initial reaction as well...great the one year we do get the #1 there isn't a Crosby or Ovechkin....damn though I am loving Kane and Toews.