2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
To continue with the feel-good posts...

Back in April or May, the Hawks won the lottery to get the first overall pick. I think IlliniKrush texted me, and unfortunately, I can't say my first thought was jubilation. In all honesty -- IIRC -- my first thought was, 'Figures that they get the first overall pick in the year where there's no Crosby or Ovechkin."

Haha... how wrong was I. How different this team, this day, this season would've been if the Hawks didn't win that lottery. Sure, we'd have Toews, but there's not a chance in hell we're 10-7 right now if Kane weren't here.

So yeah -- there wasn't an Ovechkin or a Crosby in the 2007 draft, but there was Pat Kane, who's pretty f***ing close.

Over on talkbhawks, I was very high on Patrick Kane, but didn't expect him to look this good... to look EASILY as good as Sid the Kid. It's very exciting stuff.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
I agree because that was my initial reaction as well...great the one year we do get the #1 there isn't a Crosby or Ovechkin....damn though I am loving Kane and Toews.

And Kaner is racking up points at a better rate than Crosby.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
I also don't have much problem with it. Granted, I don't have much connection to the Old Stadium(was there, but don't have much memory of it, too young) but I have gone with my old man to a few games this season, and he was a Hawk season ticket holder for 32 years. He didn't seem to even notice "The Frank Pellico Show" was missing, and seemed to enjoy the Hawks winning more than the organ.

We aren't trying to turn this into the old stadium, as we know that isn't possible. And this has nothing to do with winning. This is the same type of Pat Foley move that angered fans. Does it have to do with winning? That's irrelevant. I don't care about the Pelico show, that's the least of my problems. But it adds much more to the game than more rock music does. I listed a ton of them already. It is an integral part of a Hawks game, just as people enjoy Nancy Faust at Sox games and were saddened that her role was reduced (though that was her choice).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
I think the Hawks organIzation sees how the Wolves are praised up and down about their being fan-friendly and especially kid-friendly, and maybe they're trying to steer in that direction a little bit. (the Wolves fan experience is always the comparison in this regard, and the Hawks never win that comparison)

I just feel that in the bigger picture, a little more rock music and a little less pipe organ (and not even the original Stadium pipe organ at that) isn't that big a loss to make too much of a fuss. You obviously feel it is, and I'm not trying to diminish your opinion, I'm just giving mine as well.

They are two different beasts, I believe. Most people going to Hawks games are there for the hockey and the tradition more than the 'show', where as I think most people going to any minor league sport are there for the show as much as, or more than, the game itself and who's winning.

Also, throwing Tommy Hawk and an Ice Crew at me is not making the game experience any more enjoyable. Tommy Hawk does nothing funny or engaging, and the Ice Crew is true minor league. Now they take away the organ?

BTW, the votes on the 'official' hawks message board is something like 70-10 in favor of organ.

Playing 'we're not gonna take it' after the goal was terrible compared to the organ, as was, GOAL SCORED BY JONATHAN TOEWS....crickets chirping....and the no DUN DUN DUN let's go hawks was noticeably missing. I wish the organ and drummer boys were still there in full force.

Apparently the 'younger' office staff thought this was a good idea. They should be ashamed of themselves, as they clearly didn't ask the fans about this, as the numbers/opinions show.

I can only hope Rocky is listening.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Some food for thought. The Hawks have played 17 games so far this season. They stand at 10-7. They have played 1 game against a team below .500, and haven't had their best player all season.

:)

Yep it's certainly been as good of a start as anyone could have hoped for. I was glad they re-signed Savard to an extra year before the season, because at this stage he's certainly looking as if he can be the "long - term" coach this franchise needs in terms of some stability in the head coaching spot.

And our farm system is probably in the top 3 in the NHL, so that's going to be really good for the future as well, when the likes of Skille, Barker etc. reach their potential (hopefully).

Also on Kane and Toews, are they both signed to 3 year deals (and then I assume they'll hit RFA)?

BLACKHAWKS SCOUTING McCABE?

CANADA.COM "OFFSIDE"/THE FOURTH PERIOD: recently reported a rumour of the Chicago Blackhawks have inquired about Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe.

Spector's Note: Three words: No. Movement. Clause. 'Nuff said. Movin' on...

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
BLACKHAWKS SCOUTING McCABE?

CANADA.COM "OFFSIDE"/THE FOURTH PERIOD: recently reported a rumour of the Chicago Blackhawks have inquired about Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Bryan McCabe.

Spector's Note: Three words: No. Movement. Clause. 'Nuff said. Movin' on...

When McCabe was previously with the Hawks he scored more goals on his own net than he did against the opposing team.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
When McCabe was previously with the Hawks he scored more goals on his own net than he did against the opposing team.

You are ripping a guy that brought back, via trade...well I can't even say it. And then he went on to fulfill the potential many Hawks fans thought he had.

Interesting. Pretty sure you have him confused with the guy who came back.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
You are ripping a guy that brought back, via trade...well I can't even say it. And then he went on to fulfill the potential many Hawks fans thought he had.

Interesting. Pretty sure you have him confused with the guy who came back.

Neither you nor Pat Foley wish to speak of that players name.

However, I have him confused with no one... I actually watched the games. He passed the puck into his own net like 3 times in a two week span and got dealt shortly thereafter.

He's overpaid and really isn't needed on this team. Let's develop the youth on the blueline. If anything we need a defensive defenseman (heh) not an offensive one.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Neither you nor Pat Foley wish to speak of that players name.

However, I have him confused with no one... I actually watched the games. He passed the puck into his own net like 3 times in a two week span and got dealt shortly thereafter.

He's overpaid and really isn't needed on this team. Let's develop the youth on the blueline. If anything we need a defensive defenseman (heh) not an offensive one.

Are you implying I didn't watch games or something? Because that would be awesome. I don't remember him shooting the puck into his own net 3 times in two weeks, but since that was so long ago, who knows, I guess.

I would love to have had McCabe all these years, end of story. Regardless of him 'passing the puck into the net 3 times," he turned into a top 4 dman. Kind of a pointless rip.

And in no way am I saying acquire him now. This is completely separate. However, this team will need a veteran dman at some point, I don't think this group, while a nice group of players, can really get it done for 82 games or any sort of playoff series. That's our only real big need this season, a veteran, solid dman that could play on the top two pairs.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 04:17 AM)

Can we please stop with this bulls***? Honestly... you've done it about three times in this thread alone, it's rather tiring and you look like a five year old when doing it. For cripes sakes...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Can we please stop with this bulls***? Honestly... you've done it about three times in this thread alone, it's rather tiring and you look like a five year old when doing it. For cripes sakes...

To be fair, he questioned my accuracy on something that I remember from watching the games, and it was a pretty hot topic right before McCabe got traded... so by questioning that he obviously wasn't paying too much attention at the time for whatever reason. That's a completely fair thing to say.

He said I must have been confused, I wasn't. McCabe put the puck into his own net multiple times leading to questions of whether his head was in the game and the inevitable acquisition of the man my buddies and I so adoringly referred to as Karpetsnatch.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
To be fair, he questioned my accuracy on something that I remember from watching the games, and it was a pretty hot topic right before McCabe got traded... so by questioning that he obviously wasn't paying too much attention at the time for whatever reason. That's a completely fair thing to say.

He said I must have been confused, I wasn't. McCabe put the puck into his own net multiple times leading to questions of whether his head was in the game and the inevitable acquisition of the man my buddies and I so adoringly referred to as Karpetsnatch.

The confused part wasn't really serious, it was just a flat out rip on "that guy"

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
I don't mind ripping that f***. he was worthless.

Everyone needs more of this in their life. I remember watching this live when he did this and I nearly died laughing. If somehow any of you haven't heard this, enjoy.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
Everyone needs more of this in their life. I remember watching this live when he did this and I nearly died laughing. If somehow any of you haven't heard this, enjoy.

I watched this video, and then spent about an hour watching other Blackhawks videos. Brought back many memories and it did my soul good to hear the great Lloyd Pettit yell "A shot and a goal!" again. When it comes to the 'Hawks, the times, they are a-changin'.

Havlat had an interview on the Score yesterday and it's looking like late next week as the earliest return date. That's if everything goes to plan and there are no setbacks. Since I doubt that will be the case and because I think the Hawks will err on the side of caution, I'd say the first home game after the road trip is more likely. That gives him a full two weeks more of rest and rehab and -- not that this should be a major concern, mind you -- the Hawks could also pimp that if they try hard as a marketing tool -- "the return of #24".

Edited by CWSGuy406