2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
Gosh damn Byfuglien's got some hands.

He seems to be carving out a role on the wing on one of the top 2 lines. Hopefully he can keep it up.

As for the result, another frustrating loss. Right now, I think the Hawks are really just lacking a #1 D-Man. Sopel and Keith have been good, Seabrook seems to be progressing, but right now I think they're more #3-4 type D-Men.

Not sure who is available in FA, but with LaPointe's salary coming off the books (not sure if Samsonov is either, otherwise he will probably be bought out), this team needs to upgrade there.

And does anyone know how Cam Barker is progressing at Rockford? Because he's got the potential to be a #1 defenseman, but I don't know if we're ever going to see it, albeit he still is very young.

Another dominating 3rd period (with the rest of the game being roughly even) and we can't get a win. Calgary gets 2 deflection goals, the 1st of them coming after we dominated the start of that period. They get it down in the zone once, and bam.

Lapointe's turnover was god damn brutal, he had time to turn around and skate it and then chip it, but he just handed it to Phaneuf, and game over. Habby was pretty damn solid tonight, he would probably like that Nolan blast back, but he wasn't the reason we lost.

Zyuzin wasn't terrible tonight...so that's a plus, I guess. Zyuzin actually had some nice plays with the puck and looked much better than he has recently.

I think Lang pisses all of us off. Stupid penalty 200 feet from your net, passes to no one, and trouble catching a pass. Not to mention bad in the defensive zone. If the guy just gave half a s*** he could still be a pretty decent player. I guess we just have to take what we can get from him. Also, I don't like how Savvy has these lines going (and he juggled them a bunch in the 3rd, a lot of kane/toews/sharp, which I think should be more permanent).

This team can't get rewarded for an outstanding effort 2 games in a row. The effort is there so I'm not worried. It would be really bad if we were being outplayed all over the rink, but that just hasn't been the case. Calgary did a hell of a job in the 1st period clogging the neutral zone and forechecking, and we turned it over a little too much in the first 2 periods, but damn, we deserved at least a point that game, again. We have played Luongo, Giguere, and Kipper 3 straight games, so unlucky crap like this is bound to happen. We just need to get a win on the board, hopefully Wednesday, and go from there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

If there's no-one better in UFA than Schneider, then I wouldn't mind it.

Yeah it's a lot to pay someone for next season, but Schneider is a good puck moving offensive d-man, who hopefully still has something left.

And we get rid of Sammy who has basically done nothin.

And in 2 years we'll have some big contracts coming off the books, so it'll be nice to have some cap flexibility there.

After a 2 week suspension I return, and I see the light. The team is struggling because Savvy decided to put Havlat on the same line with Toews and Kane. I know the rooks are struggling, but this is allowing the defense to key in on the one line and take our three top offensive players out of the game.

Savvy needs to get Havlat off that line ASAP, and all will be well again.

Hawks are up 3-0 about 16 minutes into the game. Tuomo and Marty both scored on strong wristers right out in front of the goal and Keith just added another on a break away assisted by Kane. Aubin just got pulled.

Pretty exciting start to this game, a lot of scoring opportunities early.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 02:02 AM)
Hawks are up 3-0 about 16 minutes into the game. Tuomo and Marty both scored on strong wristers right out in front of the goal and Keith just added another on a break away assisted by Kane. Aubin just got pulled.

Pretty exciting start to this game, a lot of scoring opportunities early.

And two fights, starting because Ruutu completely LIT UP Vizhnovski (sp?)-- Ruutu just beat some major ass, and Burish probably got a W in his fight.

Ah okay -- Burish got a game misconduct. That makes sense as his fight was the second one.

Kings score a goal and Seabrook and Thorton start throwing punches over the net.

The Hawks better pound this team. They're terrible.

More fisticuffs as the period ends. Damn. I have a relatively big final tomorrow an have to make a decision here. f***ing economics.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
Who, the what the, when did, what? :lol:

I love watching hockey I just don't get into it like I do Football and Baseball to a lesser extent Basketball. Hawks games are just a fun distraction for me I'd much rather not get psychotic about the Hawks the way I do the Bears and especially the Sox. So I know about as much as I need to know but I'll probably never know as much as I possibly could.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I love watching hockey I just don't get into it like I do Football and Baseball to a lesser extent Basketball. Hawks games are just a fun distraction for me I'd much rather not get psychotic about the Hawks the way I do the Bears and especially the Sox. So I know about as much as I need to know but I'll probably never know as much as I possibly could.

I'm just the opposite. If the Bears win, great, If the Bears lose, then I get to hear all the dopes on sports radio and it makes my day.

When the Sox or Hawks are playing like crap, I'm throwing ****.

Havlat's goal was neat. He just walked in from the side by the goal-line and basically got to pick his spot.

Also, it's time for MagJo to go. BRUTAL turnover in the nuetral zone, no-look pass and it almost cost the Hawks a goal.

Crap -- Bolland breakaway is saved.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:40 PM)
I'm just the opposite. If the Bears win, great, If the Bears lose, then I get to hear all the dopes on sports radio and it makes my day.

When the Sox or Hawks are playing like crap, I'm throwing ****.

The Hawks' stretch of futility and the home games not being on tv made it rather easy for me to keep my distance but this new era of Hawks hockey is pretty damn fun and it's going to be tough not to emotionally invest in this team.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
The Hawks' stretch of futility and the home games not being on tv made it rather easy for me to keep my distance but this new era of Hawks hockey is pretty damn fun and it's going to be tough not to emotionally invest in this team.

I could understand that. For me personally even during the crap years Foley always made the games worth listening to and exciting.

Hopefully if you haven't you'll make your way to the UC this year.

That Toews kid is pretty damn good. He and Kane with the other young guys (Buf, Seabs Keith, etc..) are fun to watch (and this is comming from a guy who hates, yes, hates hockey) I don't care what sport it is, if your young, usually your exciting to watch. I've secretly watched the last four games.. :D