2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was awesome last night, but Khabi still worries me.

I thought 2 of his goals were soft, although the Kapitor goal was a rocket. The first goal he just got knocked down, no biggie. Then after the Kings cut it to 4-2 late in the 2nd, Khabi gets himself a penalty putting the Kings right back on a PP. Had they scored there the game may have gone differently.

I appreciate Khabi's fire, but he's one of the few veterans we have playing prominent roles...this young team needs THOSE Guys (Lang, Sopel, Khabi) to do things cleaner and better than the other guy.

Lets get Buffy on Sat...Pat Kane is on a goal scoring slump, Pat Kane is from Buffalo, Pat Kane has 150 people coming to see him Sat, Pat Kane's goal scoring slump will end Saturday.

First of all, shouldnt have been a penalty on Ruutu.

Secondly, Burish is quickly becoming one of my fav hawks. He came out of nowhere and defended Tuomo from getting blindsides and then proceeded to land some nice shots. I love seeing a rook stick up for a line mate like that.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:30 AM)
Burish is a good energy guy and will drop them, but he is pretty worthless offensively and has bad hands. A guy like Blunden or Brouwer should be getting a look in his spot, IMO. At least compare and contrast the guys. 1 point in 30 games is kind of hard to do.

The problem is that we have two Adam Burish-types on the roster in he and Lapointe, and you certainly don't need two of those types (I'll leave the debate about whether you even need one up to somebody else). Not that I'm looking past the rest of this season, but next season will be so nice with so many mediocre players coming off the books -- Samsonov, Zyuzin, MagJo, Lapointe and Perreault will all be gone. That's three spots to be filled by the likes of Skille, Bolland (permanently -- even though he only has a handful of points, I've enjoyed Bolland's play.), Brouwer, Blunden etc.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
Toews, Kane, huge front story on nhl section of espn.com

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nhl/index

If it's off by the time you see this, link below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3152371

Great story!

I'm absolutely loving the way things are finally turning around for the Hawks.

It's about damn time!!!

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
LOL, may want to read posts right above you.

Kane with the first goal of the game, destiny.

Haha, f***. And with that...I retire from this thread.

And in attempt to recover, before it was on the front page of the NHL part, which I didn't see. NOW, it's on the front page of the entire website. :)

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
5/6 slide...arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh

Very frustrating game this evening. PP was a big killer this evening, and again, our failure to clear our own end cost us.

I hope Williams can get back soon to help out, but I won't hold my breath on that. I'd like to see Barker up here to help out. Pair him up with Sopel to keep his defensive issues to a minimum.

Bulin was pretty good in my opinion tonight, but they need him to out duel these other goaltenders real soon.

I know he has "skill", but Samsonov is killing me.

Tonight was a real sleeper of a game -- not a whole lot of energy on either side. The Hawks had their chances to, at the very least, get a point out of this one. Kane, Ruutu and Sopel all had point-black opportunities to give the Hawks a second goal but beyond that there wasn't a whole lot. Havlat was also completely invisible tonight -- did he take a shot all night ? //goes and checks box score-- Nope -- not one shot tonight for #24.

Hopefully they'll come out a little stronger tomorrow, gotta get two against Florida. It'll be my (triumphant!) return to the UC so I'm looking forward to it.

Losing points like last night sucks though. The Western conference is finally starting to spread out a little bit and unfortunately we're spinning our wheels.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I know he has "skill", but Samsonov is killing me.

So far Samsonov's only skill has been skating up and down the ice and not doing much of anything.

Savvy needs to start treating him like a bug bite and scratching him repeatedly.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
So far Samsonov's only skill has been skating up and down the ice and not doing much of anything.

Savvy needs to start treating him like a bug bite and scratching him repeatedly.

It was a joke, in the opening montage at the UC when they flash the skill billboard he is on it.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 02:34 AM)
45 shots, 1 goes in.

We're on some kind of a roll!

I don't know what the Hawks have done, but the horseshoe is so far away from that team right now it isn't even funny. They had the 40+ shots plus another five or so that were deflected wide. They completely outplayed Florida for the first two periods. Florida had two scoring chances and, sure enough, scored on both. The third period was just frustration with Florida trapping like crazy and every Hawk player trying to do a bit too much -- at that point I don't really blame them, though, as they had 30+ shots heading into the third.

This sucks hard right now. They haven't played terribly over this past stretch of games yet are still losing and are falling back in the West.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't know what the Hawks have done, but the horseshoe is so far away from that team right now it isn't even funny. They had the 40+ shots plus another five or so that were deflected wide. They completely outplayed Florida for the first two periods. Florida had two scoring chances and, sure enough, scored on both. The third period was just frustration with Florida trapping like crazy and every Hawk player trying to do a bit too much -- at that point I don't really blame them, though, as they had 30+ shots heading into the third.

This sucks hard right now. They haven't played terribly over this past stretch of games yet are still losing and are falling back in the West.

In your honor I sang aloud "We're not gonna take it" after the Florida goals from the comfort of my home tonight.. :lol:

I was listening on the radio Keith, and I think I read in this very thread earlier that you we're there... Did the PP look as bad as it sounded? I read in one of the papers this morning, that it sounds like Williams is gonna get back to practice later this week. Would really be a boost to get him back in there.

We seem to be saying this after a lot of games as of late, but we really need our goaltenders to throw a shutout big time.

Yeah, they are sliding back down the standings during a portion of their schedule that they should be taking advantage of.

No one said this would be easy. The Hawks played way over their heads and even got me thinking they'd be a top 4 team in the West. That's just not going to happen with this division.

If they make the playoffs, its a victory, but regardless, this team is set up for the long run and I am very excited about it.