2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else see these rumors?

The buzz: Trade talk is heating up around the NHL with the holiday roster freeze set to start Wednesday and extend through Dec. 27.

The Hawks continue to be mentioned in several rumors, the latest involving Anaheim but not for defenseman Mathieu Schneider. Instead, the Hawks are believed to be one of several clubs inquiring about Ducks hard-hitting defenseman Francois Beauchemin.

Even after dealing center Andy McDonald to St. Louis, Ducks general manager Brian Burke still may be looking to shed more payroll to accommodate the return of Scott Niedermayer and the possible return of Teemu Selanne.

At least three teams are looking for goaltending help as well in Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay

Tallon, who said, "I'll be on the phone again [Tuesday]," has been in contact with NHL general managers about adding depth on offense. The Hawks currently have defenseman-turned-winger Dustin Byfuglien on the top line with Robert Lang and Martin Havlat. While Tallon likes Byfuglien's skills as a forward, he also likes him on defense and is looking at options in a trade.

"Maybe a forward, a good left winger to play with either Lang or Havlat or the kids (rookies Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews)," Tallon said. "If there's a forward in the 25-to-27 age range and he's a good player, we'll look at it."

Tallon said he's also eagerly awaiting the return of injured forwards Rene Bourque (thumb), Jason Williams (groin) and Jake Dowell (foot).

"We've never been 100 percent healthy yet, and we want to see what we've got," Tallon said.

http://flyers.nhl.com/

Hawks trade Vandy for Eager......who the hell is Eager?? Oh thats right he's a goon.... I sure as hell this isn't that big move...

Flyers Acquire Jim Vandermeer from Chicago Philadelphia Flyers Dec 18, 2007, 10:32 PM EST The Philadelphia Flyers today announced that they have acquired 6’1”, 210-pound defenseman Jim Vandermeer from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for left wing Ben Eager, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

Vandermeer, 27, recorded two goals and seven assists for nine points and 44 penalty minutes in 26 games for the Blackhawks this season. He was second on the team in penalty minutes.

"Well first of all it strengthens our defense," said Holmgren. "Jimmy is a guy who kind of grew up in our system. Was traded him away a few years ago for Alex Zhamnov, when we really tried to make a Stanley Cup run in 2003-04. We feel that he brings a lot of experience, and he’s been a real good player."

Jim Vandermeer has two goals and seven assists for nine points and 44 penalty minutes for Chicago this season. (Getty Images)

In 218 career NHL games over the last five seasons with the Flyers and the Blackhawks (2002-03 to 2007-08), Vandermeer has registered 16 goals and 44 assists for 60 points and 323 penalty minutes. He played parts of two seasons with the Flyers (2002-03 and 2003-04), posting eight points (5G,3A) and 52 penalty minutes in 47 games. He was traded by the Flyers, along with the rights to Colin Fraser and Los Angeles’ second round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, to Chicago in exchange for Alex Zhamnov and Washington’s fourth round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft on February 19, 2004. He was originally signed by the Flyers as a free agent on December 21, 2000.

Eager, 23, was scoreless with 62 penalty minutes in 23 games for the Flyers this season. His 62 penalty minutes were third on the team.

Over parts of three NHL seasons with the Flyers (2005-06 to 2007-08), Eager registered nine goals and 10 assists for 19 points and 313 penalty minutes in 111 regular season games. He was acquired by the Flyers, along with Sean Burke and Branko Radivojevic, from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for Mike Comrie on February 9, 2004. He was originally drafted by Phoenix in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
http://flyers.nhl.com/

Hawks trade Vandy for Eager......who the hell is Eager?? Oh thats right he's a goon.... I sure as hell this isn't that big move...

Flyers Acquire Jim Vandermeer from Chicago Philadelphia Flyers Dec 18, 2007, 10:32 PM EST The Philadelphia Flyers today announced that they have acquired 6’1”, 210-pound defenseman Jim Vandermeer from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for left wing Ben Eager, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren.

Vandermeer, 27, recorded two goals and seven assists for nine points and 44 penalty minutes in 26 games for the Blackhawks this season. He was second on the team in penalty minutes.

"Well first of all it strengthens our defense," said Holmgren. "Jimmy is a guy who kind of grew up in our system. Was traded him away a few years ago for Alex Zhamnov, when we really tried to make a Stanley Cup run in 2003-04. We feel that he brings a lot of experience, and he’s been a real good player."

Jim Vandermeer has two goals and seven assists for nine points and 44 penalty minutes for Chicago this season. (Getty Images)

In 218 career NHL games over the last five seasons with the Flyers and the Blackhawks (2002-03 to 2007-08), Vandermeer has registered 16 goals and 44 assists for 60 points and 323 penalty minutes. He played parts of two seasons with the Flyers (2002-03 and 2003-04), posting eight points (5G,3A) and 52 penalty minutes in 47 games. He was traded by the Flyers, along with the rights to Colin Fraser and Los Angeles’ second round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, to Chicago in exchange for Alex Zhamnov and Washington’s fourth round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft on February 19, 2004. He was originally signed by the Flyers as a free agent on December 21, 2000.

Eager, 23, was scoreless with 62 penalty minutes in 23 games for the Flyers this season. His 62 penalty minutes were third on the team.

Over parts of three NHL seasons with the Flyers (2005-06 to 2007-08), Eager registered nine goals and 10 assists for 19 points and 313 penalty minutes in 111 regular season games. He was acquired by the Flyers, along with Sean Burke and Branko Radivojevic, from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for Mike Comrie on February 9, 2004. He was originally drafted by Phoenix in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

I believe this IS the big move. A "25-27 year old" leftwing. Exactly what DT eluded to. However, He was taken 23rd overall, so he must have some untapped potential and perhaps was asked to fill the goon roll. He definitely filled up the stat sheet when he played for Oshawa, to the tune of nearly a point per contest in his final season in the OHL. However, since in the AHL and NHL, he's been rather unimpressive. I think I'd rather have Vandy.

Regardless, I presume it will be funny to say that he "Ben Eager to kick some ass all night."

Good article here;

The struggles of the power play and Jason Williams' uncertain health apparently have the Blackhawks re-thinking their interest in Anaheim Ducks defenseman Mathieu Schneider, according to an NHL source.

Schneider would be the power-play quarterback from the left point the Hawks have been lacking since Williams went down with a groin problem.

Williams, who still leads the Hawks with 5 power-play goals, has missed 12 of the last 13 games and isn't expected back in the lineup anytime soon.

The dilemma for Hawks general manager Dale Tallon is Schneider's age and contract. The 38-year-old Schneider is signed through next season, when he would earn $5.75 million.

Tallon may not want to commit so much money to Schneider for 2008-09 when next summer looks to be a good one for offensive defensemen as unrestricted free agents. The Hawks are expected to pursue the likes of Buffalo's Brian Campbell and Tampa Bay's Dan Boyle with big-money offers should they go unsigned.

The Hawks might be willing to take on Schneider's contract if the Ducks would agree to accept at least two of the Hawks' veterans set to be unrestricted free agents after the season such as Yanic Perreault, Sergei Samsonov, Martin Lapointe or Andrei Zyuzin.

It's believed the Hawks also have talked to the Ducks about defenseman Francois Beauchemin.

The NHL holiday trade freeze begins tonight and runs through Dec. 27, and the Hawks did beat it late Tuesday by sending defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Philadelphia Flyers for left wing Ben Eager.

Vandermeer's departure could signal Tallon is ready to trade for another veteran defenseman.

The Ducks are eager to shed payroll, but more so for next season when they will need to sign restricted free agent Corey Perry for upwards of $5 million a year.

The Hawks' power play is 6-for-58 over the past 12 games, which is almost the exact time span Williams has been out. Dustin Byfuglien and James Wisniewski have been used primarily as the point men with coach Denis Savard saying not enough shots are being attempted.

"It's poise and experience, that's all it is," Savard said. "It's just a lack of experience. Byfuglien is going to be a heck of a power-play guy back there, but it's just repetition and doing it."

The Hawks' power play has dropped to 15th in league rankings after being in the top 10 through November.

"The power play hasn't been helping us and in a lot of these close games it could have been the difference," said winger Patrick Sharp, who thinks both units need to show more determination to outwork the penalty-killers.

"When you're on the power play your initial feeling is, you're up a man, OK, let's relax, slow things down and move the puck around," Sharp said. "But the penalty-killers are thinking they have to work that much harder because they're short a man.

"We've got a good power play. We've had success and I think we can do it again. We've got very good skill players on both units and there's no reason why we shouldn't make a difference every night."

Winger Patrick Kane agrees that fixing the power play starts with working harder.

"It seems like when we get in the zone we say, 'OK, we're set up now, let's take it easy,' " Kane said. "We need to start shooting right away and maybe we can get some goals that aren't very pretty."

Savard remains hopeful that the power play is going to come around.

"I know it's dropped off a bit, but we're no different than what a lot of other teams go through," he said.

This trade is actually decent. It's a no lose trade. I think Vandy is a waste. He's not physical anymore, won't fight, has no offensive skills...I just don't like him and not many people do it seems. Eager is an energy guy who has showed some offensive potential (he was a first round pick, so he has some skill) and will hit anything that moves. He'll be fine on the 4th line.

But the reason this trade is potentially good is because of what it does to the rest of the roster. Hopefully Buff goes back to D or Barker comes up, and MagicDoo goes back to Europe or something. Also, I think this means Koci is done. Koci can literally only fight, his shifts are worthless out there as he's a brutal skater and Havlat would usually fill that spot throughout the game. Eager is a guy you can dress every game and have him take his normal shift, and he'll take the fights Koci would have had. This isn't the offense Tallon was looking for, and he knows that and didn't try to spin it any differently...but IMO this improves the team a bit, and anything that does that is fine in my book.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 19, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
New lines for tonight.

Havlat-Lang-Kontiola

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Ruutu-Bolland-Burish

Eager-Perreault-Lapointe

Keith-Seabrook

Zyuzin-Sopel

Wiz-Byfuglien

Alright fine. As long as we don't end up with Zyuzin and MagJo both playing.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 19, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
This trade is actually decent. It's a no lose trade. I think Vandy is a waste. He's not physical anymore, won't fight, has no offensive skills...I just don't like him and not many people do it seems. Eager is an energy guy who has showed some offensive potential (he was a first round pick, so he has some skill) and will hit anything that moves. He'll be fine on the 4th line.

But the reason this trade is potentially good is because of what it does to the rest of the roster. Hopefully Buff goes back to D or Barker comes up, and MagicDoo goes back to Europe or something. Also, I think this means Koci is done. Koci can literally only fight, his shifts are worthless out there as he's a brutal skater and Havlat would usually fill that spot throughout the game. Eager is a guy you can dress every game and have him take his normal shift, and he'll take the fights Koci would have had. This isn't the offense Tallon was looking for, and he knows that and didn't try to spin it any differently...but IMO this improves the team a bit, and anything that does that is fine in my book.

You know far more about the league than I. My only concern was how the defense shakes out. Considering the woes of the PP, I'd love to see Barker up.

Eager has a point in his first game... Patrick Sharp continues to surprise me. He's been great this year, another shorty. If you would have told me that on December 19 Sharp would be on a 40 goal pace, I'd have said you were nuts.

Edited by Steve9347

I have no idea where to play Buff. If I had my ways I'd play him on the 3rd or 4th line. The guy still can't skate and is bad defensively and I don't see him improving that part of his game much. He got TORCHED yesterday, that was brutal. It's easier to hide his liabilities at forward, just not on a top line. Maybe put him on the point on the PP sometimes, but even that worries the hell out of me if there's ever a turnover.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
Well, according to the practice notes, it looks like Savvy is going to put Buff BACK at Wing, and Zyuzin will be paired with Sopel. Really don't like the move. Still an upgrade to have Barks in the lineup and not MagJo, but I really liked the top 6 being Seabrook-Keith, Wiz-Barker, Buff-Sopel......

Eh, lets see what happens in the next game. He seems to flip flop all the time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
Which is the problem, at least IMO. It's nice that Buff is able to be used in a flexible fashion, but I think it would be best for all parties involved to settle on a spot for Dustin, let him develop his game. Dustin has less than 60 NHL games under his belt, and I think he would be best served focusing on one position, seeing as he has major flaws both as a forward and D man...

Tony speaketh the truth.