2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Agreed.

You can not trade Habby unless you have a plan for the net in 08-09.

Now if some team such as Tampa gets really desperate and wants to really really overpay us, then we listen.

I think Lalime could fill in more than admirably, cost a fraction of what Bulin does, and then you use the cap space to spend elsewhere.

Unless I missed the part where Khabibulin was performing well this year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Huet's a guy that I like quite a bit as a goalie.

Not sure what his stats are this season, but I think Montreal wants to open up the net for Price to be their bookend for the next 10-15 years.

If you could trade Khabi for say an expiring contract + early picks, and then sign Huet to a deal in the off-season, that'd be something that I'd look at.

Hell yes. This would be brilliant. Give Bulin to Pittsburgh if at all possible and sign one of Huet, Aebischer, or Bryzgalov (in that order) and I would be a very happy camper.

Hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, wouldn't it have been nice to make some sort of deal with Anaheim when Bryzgalov was on the verge of being waived?

Khabi really hasn't done anything since coming here to sway me from thinking he was more the beneficiary of Tampa's success than the cause.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
Hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, wouldn't it have been nice to make some sort of deal with Anaheim when Bryzgalov was on the verge of being waived?

Khabi really hasn't done anything since coming here to sway me from thinking he was more the beneficiary of Tampa's success than the cause.

Khabi was certainly very good in Tampa's system, wasn't really the same type of goalie in other places e.g Phoenix.

As for Huet, his numbers this season, 10-6, 2.31 GAA, .927 SV%.

He looks like a #1 goalie to me.

If you could trade Khabi, and then sign Huet to a $4-5M per season deal in the off-season, you've saved about $3M right there, which could be put towards signing a top line winger or a #1 d-man.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
I think Lalime could fill in more than admirably, cost a fraction of what Bulin does, and then you use the cap space to spend elsewhere.

Unless I missed the part where Khabibulin was performing well this year.

You keep saying next year is the big year or what not, and you want Lalime starting? Right.

God damn it....the Hawks finally come into town and I have tickets for Friday's game and it looks like I won't be seeing Toews (my favorite Hawk) and I'll get to see 18 zillion minor league hacks on the defensive end.

I hope they are healthy when I see them again in late February in Anaheim. Either way I'm excited to see the Hawks play on Friday :)

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
You keep saying next year is the big year or what not, and you want Lalime starting? Right.

Nik and his .900 save percentage doesn't exactly suggest #1 goaltender. Just because Lalime isn't the answer, that doesn't mean Nik is... and Lalime sure doesn't make the "highest salary of any Chicago Blackhawk in team history."

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
Nik and his .900 save percentage doesn't exactly suggest #1 goaltender. Just because Lalime isn't the answer, that doesn't mean Nik is... and Lalime sure doesn't make the "highest salary of any Chicago Blackhawk in team history."

Well I definitely shouldn't be jumping in this argument but if you think next year is "the" year wouldn't you want the best goalie possible, even if he is overpaid?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)

He's not an all-star, but he is a #1. Lalime wouldn't cut it playing 65 games a year. If there's some other solution, maybe, but to throw Lalime in there...that'd be disastrous. The easiest thing to do over the past 3 years is blame the goaltender. It's like blaming grossman. The last 2 years he's had a POS team in front of him, and this year he's played well at times and hasn't had many bad games. He just had a great streak of hockey, he gets pulled yesterday even though he wasn't terrible and people want to pile back on.

Unless you're getting a real good deal (ie not a salary dump) for Khabbi I don't see the point of trading him, especially with no ready replacement. I think the *ideal* (like nothing going wrong -- which probably won't happen, mind you, but that's why I said ideal) scenario is one where the Hawks break in Crawford as a backup next year, he proves ready and takes over for good in 2009-2010. Crawford is doing well this year, although I don't see Rockford enough to say whether that's because the team in front of him (before everyone got hurt) is good or if he's just that good.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
He's not an all-star, but he is a #1. Lalime wouldn't cut it playing 65 games a year. If there's some other solution, maybe, but to throw Lalime in there...that'd be disastrous. The easiest thing to do over the past 3 years is blame the goaltender. It's like blaming grossman. The last 2 years he's had a POS team in front of him, and this year he's played well at times and hasn't had many bad games. He just had a great streak of hockey, he gets pulled yesterday even though he wasn't terrible and people want to pile back on.

I think quite a few better options have already been named in this thread. I'm advocating a salary dump. If we have to take on a crappy d-man making 3.5-4 mill per then obviously we just wait for Khabby's contract to end... but if someone would take him off our hands and absorb 75% of his salary, I would move him first and worry about 08-09 afterwards. I think the argument that Lalime can't start 65 games and be a #1 is off considering how good he was in Ottawa just before the strike. If you gave him the reigns I think he could easily match Khabibulin's production this season.

Of course, I could be wrong, but we're all calling Bulin a #1 because of what he did with Tampa before the strike, so using the same reasoning for Lalime only makes sense.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
I think quite a few better options have already been named in this thread. I'm advocating a salary dump. If we have to take on a crappy d-man making 3.5-4 mill per then obviously we just wait for Khabby's contract to end... but if someone would take him off our hands and absorb 75% of his salary, I would move him first and worry about 08-09 afterwards. I think the argument that Lalime can't start 65 games and be a #1 is off considering how good he was in Ottawa just before the strike. If you gave him the reigns I think he could easily match Khabibulin's production this season.

Of course, I could be wrong, but we're all calling Bulin a #1 because of what he did with Tampa before the strike, so using the same reasoning for Lalime only makes sense.

It's hard to have a salary dump when you can't eat any salary in this CBA. I don't see them being able to move him without taking on some sort of unwanted contract. I don't think you can worry about 08-09 after you dump Habby (if you even find a way to), because then you'll either end up with Lalime or you'll spend money that could be allocated elsewhere (we are finally in a position to nab some big FAs) on a goaltender that may or may not be an upgrade over Habby.

The names mentioned are Kolzig, Theodore, Huet, Aebischer, Bryzgalov. Are all of those significant upgrades over Habby (and so much so that it's worth using any FA money on them instead of elsewhere on the team)? No. Huet would be real nice, but who knows how much he'll garner.

If you don't want Habby after next year let him go, but Habby is not this team's biggest problem, hasn't been this team's biggest problem the past 2 years, and if you are going to make any noise next year in the 'big year' or whatever, you don't go into the summer hoping to find a #1, an upgrade, or have Lalime in net.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Per ESPN - Toews injury not as serious as feared

CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks rookie Jonathan Toews has a sprained right knee and won't need surgery, TSN of Canada reported on Thursday.

Toews was injured Tuesday in a loss at Los Angeles. At the time, the Blackhawks feared he would need surgery. An MRI said otherwise.

The team is calling the injury a sprain. After Tuesday's game, coach Denis Savard told The Chicago Tribune that he believed Toews suffered a second degree strain to his MCL and said he could be out "two to four weeks."

Toews is the top rookie scorer in the NHL with 15 goals. He has 17 assists as well.

Edited by smalls2598

That was a tough angle. He actually could have passed that, which looked like the better play. However, you can't miss the net at that angle, as it was game over from there.

For having a roster full of IceHogs, they battled decently tonight. It took them a while to get going, however. But they came back and fought hard. I think a positive tonight was that Kontiola, Versteeg, and Skille had nice games. All three played hard and were good with the puck.

Going to be a tough stretch of games here. Looks like we may not get Williams nor Havlat back Sunday. Tomorrow is going to be another really tough game, and the 2nd of a back to back. Could be bad news. An AHL roster is going to have a very hard time winning games in this league, and that's about all you need to know.

Also, special asshole of the award tonight to Lapointe. Goes and puts his team down 2 men after the Burish penalty. That's leadership at its finest. They score to make it 3-0, and that's game over. Way to go Marty.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 06:57 AM)
Also, special asshole of the award tonight to Lapointe. Goes and puts his team down 2 men after the Burish penalty. That's leadership at its finest. They score to make it 3-0, and that's game over. Way to go Marty.

I'm interested to see if you thought the 'Yotes player also deserved a penalty. That looked far from a 'hip-check', as he get no 'hip' at all.

Edited by CWSGuy406

generic hockey question for you guys.

So in last night's game, after the crazy check on skille, Burish and lapointe both get penalties.

Now they both got like 2 minutes for this, 5 for this, 10 for this.

Which one of those actually puts a man in the box and which one of those are like fighting penalties where it doesn't really affect the game in a powerplay way?

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
generic hockey question for you guys.

So in last night's game, after the crazy check on skille, Burish and lapointe both get penalties.

Now they both got like 2 minutes for this, 5 for this, 10 for this.

Which one of those actually puts a man in the box and which one of those are like fighting penalties where it doesn't really affect the game in a powerplay way?

A 10 minute misconduct never puts someone else in the box or makes the team short. That player just has to 'sit out' an 10 extra minutes once his other time is served (so if he gets 2 for roughing and 5 for fighting, he'll be out 17 minutes, and someone else will serve his 2 minute penalty, because someone will need to come out of the box when it's over).

A 5 for fighting won't leave you shorthanded unless you somehow get a 5 without your opponent getting a 5 for fighting. So, those guys are out 5 minutes, they'll still play 5 on 5, and they'll be out at the first whistle after their 5 minutes are up.

2 minutes will always effect the game in a "power play way", as it will go up on the board. 10's don't go up on the board and 5 for fighting won't either. However, a 5 minute major for high sticking, etc, will go up on the board. And a 5 minute major never expires - you can score as many goals as you can on it and it will never get taken off the board.

So yesterday's penalties:

06:13 Ballard, K. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

06:13 Burish, A. : Instigator - 2 min

06:13 Burish, A. : Fighting (maj) - 5 min

06:13 Burish, A. : Misconduct (10 min)

06:13 Lapointe, M : Unsportsmanlike conduct - 2 min

06:13 Lapointe, M. : Misconduct (10 min)

Ballard and Burish fighting majors don't go up, and cancel each other out. No effect on ice.

Burish's 2 minute instigator goes up on the board and takes the Hawks down a man (5/4).

Burish's 10 doesn't go up, doesn't effect the ice, but this means another Hawk player has to go serve his 2 minute instigator, since he can't come out when that expires. So Kontiola went into the box.

Lapointe's 2 minute unsportsmanlike goes up on the board and the Hawks down a man (so now 5/3).

Lapointe's 10 doesn't go up, doesn't effect the ice, but this means, like above, another Hawk player has to go serve his 2 minute instigator, since he can't come out when that experies. So Ruutu served that one.

As puck drops, Hawks have 2 2:00 minors that effect the play on the ice, so it's a 5 on 3 for 2 minutes. The 5's and 10's have no effect on the number of guys on the ice or power play time.

Hope some of that helps.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
I'm interested to see if you thought the 'Yotes player also deserved a penalty. That looked far from a 'hip-check', as he get no 'hip' at all.

He went for a clean hip check, he had proper form...didn't lead with his knee or stick his leg out, and it appeared he got him skate on skate (though not sticking it out) as Skille(t) tried to avoid the hit. Honestly, I don't think it was dirty. However, if i'm Burish and I see that in live speed from whatever angle he had, I probly think it's a knee and I go looking for a fight just as he did.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
It really isn't there fault, but this team has probably been the biggest cock tease I have experienced. For a few weeks there, it seemed like the collective team was walking on water, and could do no wrong.

How things have changed.

The injuries have really f***ed this team over, but a road win would be really nice right about now.

I'm trying to keep things in perspective, but these losses have really sucked.