2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 11:24 PM)
Hawks fall.

While I am still very excited, the skybox I have for Sunday is getting me a lot less giddy. Detroit is going to run all over these guys....

Yeah, while the Hawks have had some fun with Detroit so far this year, this isn't the same Hawk team right now, and I expect the Wings to be really fired up for Sunday.

It should still be a fun game - this rivalry usually brings the best out of both teams.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
down 3-0 after the first. Wings just hit every pass they needed and are looking like they are in a different league than the hawks right now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
fixed

Yeah, you beat me to it. They literally are in a different league right now, as they are in the NHL.

Detroit's a machine once they have the puck, everything is tape to tape or to the open space where a guy is already headed.

And f*** savvy for sitting skille over someone like bourque or lapointe.

That's a shame... they played their asses off tonight but there's just not a whole lot of talent on the ice right now.

It's a rather depressing state of affairs. A reasonable amount of injuries and I still think this team would've been right around that eight spot (at this moment in time), but honestly -- what the f***? Toews (twice), Havlat, Wizniewski, Sopel, Williams, Bourque... that's two top six players, two decent third liners and two more #3-4 defensemen.

I'll be at the game in Montreal, which will most likely be as depressing as tonight was. Can't question the effort, but damn does this suck. Finally we have a team that is capable of *competing* with any team in the NHL, and injuries absolutely ravage the group.

Hey, the good news just continues...

Williams skated twice last week, felt fine, skated a third time...and it felt bad again, just like that. Now apparently he's staying off it entirely in hopes of healing it up, and no clue on a timetable to get him back.

Sigh

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 06:26 AM)
I'd say we got lucky on that one... hopefully he performs well over there, and we're rid a contract.

What's the deal with that right now? Have Carolina taken over the rest of the contract, or can they dump him back on waivers before a certain deadline so they're not liable for the contract?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
So they speak French here in Montreal -- weeee!

They're probably going to get killed tonight, but I'm excited -- it's my first time seeing the Hawks on the road, and what a venue to see 'em at. Place will be packed tonight.

Keith if Huet's playing tonight, have a look at his game for me.

We were discussing him a few days ago as the best FA goaltender on the market this off-season.

what a horrible game .. Loss 4-3 in OT ... 2nd period was fun to watch .. but god damn Lalime(had a couple good stops)

Goal Scorers were Skille(first career), Lang, and Versteeg

I really like the way Versteeg has been playing though he definitely deserves to stay up, Havlet again needs to get back to his ways because he just still not there all the way though he added 1 point with the assist on Lang goal.

Samsonov, I liked him, but he did play 23 games this season and was not productive .. the thing I liked the most about him was his speed on that ice, but now hes off to Carolina, we pay half his contract -- Carolina takes the other half

The complete lack of depth on defense -- as things stand right now -- is what's killing this team. I don't think Richmond saw a shift in the third (rightfully so) and Zyuzin is just as much a liability. The third period was basically Savvy rotating Seabrook, Keith, Barker and Byfuglien back there with Zyuzin occassionally getting a shift. Sopel and Wizniewski returning should returnn everyone to their places. Seabrook and Keith looked dead after the game -- there's just nobody else Savvy can realistically go to.

If there's any good to come out of this, it's that we're getting good looks at some of those 'tweener' types. I think Versteeg can stick -- he's got some great hands and he's not afraid to play physical. The jury is still out on whether he can finish but he's in no way overmatched here. Skille also had his best game up here. Obviously it's easy to say that when he had two points, but he played with a bit more energy tonight and that was visible as he was also playing more physical and doing a better job on the forecheck. It also looks like Barker has moved ahead of Zyuzin in the pecking order, so like I said -- when Wiz and Sopel do eventually return, we'll be back to normal in having some level of confidence in all six of our defensemen (I understand, BTW, that Barker and Byfuglien are still making a lot of mistakes, but I'd say in the cases of both of them their upside outweights their mistakes, especially with Byfuglien who is becoming a real asset on the PP).

Edited by CWSGuy406