2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's time to tank and keep developing the youngsters and to try and get a top 5 pick again.

And I know people won't like me saying that, but for the long - term it could be what the franchise needs. I think at least people can see we're headed on the right path, but we just don't have to bodies and talent to contend right now.

I don't know how good this year's draft is though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Maybe it's time to tank and keep developing the youngsters and to try and get a top 5 pick again.

And I know people won't like me saying that, but for the long - term it could be what the franchise needs. I think at least people can see we're headed on the right path, but we just don't have to bodies and talent to contend right now.

I don't know how good this year's draft is though.

It's supposed to be pretty deep defensively from what I know.

I went to the game last night (free suite tickets ROOL!) and it was an entertaining yet frustrating game.

Right now there is no offense - a lot of one-and-done chances, no sustained pressure, too much dump and (sometimes) chase.

Khabibulin made some really good saves and then let in a HORRIBLE softie for the game-loser.

The buzz for Kane's breakaway and subsequent penalty shot was pretty amazing. Too bad he out-maneuvered himself.

Barker and Hendry in particular looked kind of afraid to make a mistake and would just throw the puck out of the defensive zone with no idea in mind of where it was going, or to whom.

The Ice Crew is popular. The little foam pucks they were shooting into the crowd in the 3rd period are a little too popular.

Ronnie Woo-Woo was there in his striped pajamas, holding an Obama '08 sign. :huh:

Good crowd for a Wednesday night - almost 15,500.

At Fandemonium, it's 15 dollars cheaper to have them make you a replica Toews jersey than it is to buy a pre-made replica Toews jersey. (again..... :huh: )

All in all, I had a really good time, but I didn't leave as happy as I was hoping to.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 9, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
f*** this season

This is the best Hawks season since 96-97. There is a TON of hope for the future. So we struggle with injuries and get another quality player in the draft to help us down the line... I could not be happier with what has happened this season and all along we all knew this team shouldn't be ready for the playoffs just yet.

The injuries have killed us... but next year will be very very very interesting.

Good moves by DT lately cutting the dead weight in Samsonov and Johansson, and starting to lock up the core players in Sharp and Sopel.

I assume we have some salary cap space now to make an acquisition (Forsberg very unlikely, last I heard he was thinking Philly if he's coming back, but here's hoping) if we have to.

LaPointe's only worth ATM is being a clubhouse veteran. Only playing about 5mins a game on the 4th line.

Perrault's been a bust, which is annoying because he had a decent season with Phoenix last season (maybe offer him back to them?)

Right now, those type of veterans who aren't core players, need to be trade bait.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
This is the best Hawks season since 96-97. There is a TON of hope for the future. So we struggle with injuries and get another quality player in the draft to help us down the line... I could not be happier with what has happened this season and all along we all knew this team shouldn't be ready for the playoffs just yet.

The injuries have killed us... but next year will be very very very interesting.

I'm aware of all these things. I say f*** this season because of how it started and how injuries f***ed it and then we have the huge winless streak because of it.

With a healthy team there was no reason this team wasn't playoff caliber. They had the roster to do it.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 10, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Better not be Schneider.

We all know what type of move this needs to be, I just hope Tallon doesn't reach to save THIS season.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last night on the Score, Jesse Rogers was speculating/guessing/hoping it would be Dan Boyle of the Lightning.

He figures coming off the injury may make him cheaper to acquire.

I don't know what to think - Boyle's been a minus player since 2004, but career-wise, he's good for 50-60 points per season.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
Last night on the Score, Jesse Rogers was speculating/guessing/hoping it would be Dan Boyle of the Lightning.

He figures coming off the injury may make him cheaper to acquire.

I don't know what to think - Boyle's been a minus player since 2004, but career-wise, he's good for 50-60 points per season.

I am a HUGE Dan Boyle fan... depending on price I'd welcome him to Chicago with open arms.

I'd also be a fan of bringing Boyle here. There is also some chatter that DT might look at Dion Phaneuf, no idea what Calgary would want for him if they'd trade him at all. As for Schneider I personally, would rather have Rob Blake than him. Also found this on Spectors site.

BLACKHAWKS TRADE COMING TODAY?

CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Chris Kuc reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon suggests there's a "strong possibility" he could make a trade soon for a veteran defenceman. Kuc believes it could come as early as today. Tallon is also reportedly close to re-signing forward Patrick Sharp to a contract extension.

Spector's Note: So who could be coming to Chicago? Rob Blake? Paul Mara? Christian Backman? Dick Tarnstrom? Hopefully we'll find out as early as today.

Edited by EvilJester99

What's the general thought about Cam Barker? I thought he's played better the past couple games, but that comes with a few 'reservations' (for lack of a better term) -- first, I'm not the best at judging defensemen in the first place (positioning, decision-making and anything else) and second, it could just be that Richmond and Zyuzin have been SO BAD that just about anyone else back there is going to look decent in comparison to them. I'm not saying he's played great hockey by any means, but I thought he's gotten a bit better since when he was first called up. Yet he gets ripped at the 300 Level. So am I way off base here or is the general 'negative' attitude of the 300 Level wrong?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
What's the general thought about Cam Barker? I thought he's played better the past couple games, but that comes with a few 'reservations' (for lack of a better term) -- first, I'm not the best at judging defensemen in the first place (positioning, decision-making and anything else) and second, it could just be that Richmond and Zyuzin have been SO BAD that just about anyone else back there is going to look decent in comparison to them. I'm not saying he's played great hockey by any means, but I thought he's gotten a bit better since when he was first called up. Yet he gets ripped at the 300 Level. So am I way off base here or is the general 'negative' attitude of the 300 Level wrong?

I think Barker looks nervous or afraid to make mistakes. I was watching him closely on Wednesday and he and Hendry stood out as rushing their plays to me.