2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
It sure doesn't hurt to play on the best team money can buy...

Considering the salary cap I think the fact that the Detroit Red Wings have continued to stay so dominant is quite impressive.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:35 AM)
It sure doesn't hurt to play on the best team money can buy...

Detroit is currently in the middle of the pack salary-wise.

They have a payroll approximately 1 million dollars higher than the Blackhawks.

Their projected final payroll for this season is about 200K more than the Hawks, according to this link:

http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

They have approximately 5 mil to play with under the cap at this point.

It's not about spending any more with the Wings, it's about spending wisely.

EDIT to say that "upper-middle of the pack" is probably a fairer assessment of Detroit's current payroll, and they're projected to end up still in the "upper middle" range.

Edited by The Critic

/calls on his inner steve0978345798345

Hawks lost 4-1, Lalime sucks. Can't believe he couldn't keep them in the game. Those 3 goals in the 2nd took all the life out of them, especially those 2 within 40 seconds to make it 3-1! Totally different game if he tosses up a shutout, or just one goal. We might be in OT right now! Goaltending let us down yet again tonight, it's as simple as that.

/no other comments about the rest of the team's play or coaching

/end post

So it's a 7 game series here, Savvy? Well, you're down 3-0, good luck with that one.

He's lost this team completely (may have lost his job too?). They put up with his bulls*** throughout the year and played hard despite him not doing them any favors...but calling them out was clearly a mistake without doing it in the locker room first (at least that's what's been reported). That ass-ripping has resulted in nothing.

Havlat is a joke now, he's completely mailed it in. He is far from an impact player. Lazy sack of s*** pisses me off right now. Sure he might be a little banged up, but there's zero desire out there, as we've all noticed the past few weeks. It's hard to get rid of a guy with so much talent, and he could be a huge piece of a good team next year. Just pisses me off to see him be so invisible from night to night right now. Toews must be breaking things nightly watching this team play.

Terrible D zone coverage tonight. Keith late on one goal, Barker being soft on another. Pathetic. Power play is still bad, though improved (if that makes sense). They are more talented than that Edmonton team and they sure didn't play like it outside of some stretches. Ruutu's still the only guy that consistently hits, forechecks, and hustles. It's really a shame. BTW, Buff has been brutal in all areas lately. He needs to be up front, but stop putting him on the top two lines. Good grief.

Lalime didn't play well tonight but again, it doesn't f***ing matter. 1 goal. End of story. Didn't matter who was in net, just like it doesn't matter every game.

Toews should be back next week at some point, and while he's this team's heart, everything isn't going back to happy go lucky with him in the lineup. I just hope he's 100%, because the games he plays right now don't mean anything. He better not be rushed back, I don't care if he doesn't play for another month. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see him back a game or two or three earlier than he should be in an attempt to stop the slide...which is a terrible. mistake.

The arrow is pointing up on this franchise, but it doesn't mean s*** if you've got the wrong guy behind the bench and not enough talent to do something with. Tallon needs to start the offseason now, whatever that means for him. Whether it's acquiring picks, moving a big name, acquiring a big name, firing a coach, whatever. Whatever his plan is, let's go. Changes need to be made. Next year is huge, and with this season over, the focus has to be on opening night 2008. Hawks have to have more good press besides the fact that home games are on tv, mcdonough's in, etc. The ice aspect has to catch up to the off-ice aspect, or all the packed houses and press and tv games are irrelevant.

This isn't the answer you want, but...does it matter? In my mind this isn't a "keep coach A until you know you can secure a better coach B." I just don't think he's the right guy for this team (maybe not any team) with all the inexperience and youth, etc. I just don't see it. This isn't a team that can put up with a coach that is 'learning how to coach' as well.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Well my take is, unless there's a really good veteran coach out there e.g a Ken Hitchcock, you don't replace a guy and have him basically "learn on the job" as well. Savvy has his faults obviously, but he deserves a chance to get us out of this mess IMHO.

Craig MacTavish might be under a little pressure in Edmonton, Jacques Martin in Florida. Would anyone take any of those 2?

Krush, I'll sum up your post a little more succinctly:

We f***ing suck.

Whereas earlier in the year we were competing night in, night out with these teams -- where we looked like we belonged on the ice with the better teams in the West -- now we're lucky to compete with the bottom feeders. It's terrible -- is one player really that damn important? I understand that Toews is really, really good, but cripes -- the wheels have completely fallen off without him.

Also -- can we stop with this stupid St. Pierre experiment? There's at least two guys who ought to be on the powerplay right now instead of him. What does he do? I'm asking, honestly -- what does he do? He doesn't shoot, he doesn't stand in front of the net, his vision (passing) doesn't seem particularly great... I mean, guys like Skille and even Versteeg have shown something when given time, but damn -- I don't see a whole helluva lot in St. Pierre. Perhaps I'm being too harsh. I think it's just that there's AT LEAST two guys who ought to have his spot on the powerplay. It's a f***ing travesty that the only player worth a damn over the past several games (Ruutu) -- a guy who has seemingly done everything Savard wants out of his players (crash the net, play physical) -- can't be in the team's top six, especially with Toews on the sidelines.

And f*** this "veteran" bulls*** too. When everyone is finally healthy (sans Williams), here's what I want to see (but probably won't):

Ruutu - Toews - Kane

Sharp - Lang - Havlat

Byfuglien - Bolland - Skille

Bourque - Dowell - Burish

Craig Adams never should've been acquired in the first place. There's 600K gone for next year because his ass is signed through next season. Lapointe and Perrault can go, too -- Burish does everything that Lapointe can do and Perrault just sucks.

First, St. Pierre. He's a pretty nice little player, I've seen him play a ton in the AHL, but I don't know if he's a guy that will ever be an NHLer. Versteeg and Kontiola should be up asap, those guys showed something in their time up here. Same with Bolland. And yeah he wasn't great on the PP, but at this point, anything's worth a whirl, as the PP has sucked for a while now.

My only concern (and Tony this builds off your point about deciding who's who and what's what in Rockford) is that it's hard to figure out who's worth a damn when they are constantly being sent up/down, playing on a different line every night, playing small minutes, and playing under Savvy. So I think that makes it even harder for Dale to figure out. I think the fact that the the farm is so close (compared to Norfolk) has made it that much easier to just yank these kids around and be trigger happy with callups and sending them back. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems like it (I know there have been a ton of injuries, but guys aren't up for very long, etc). It's just like 'hey, who's next up for a small stint?'

Tony I know what you are saying about the arrow. f*** at this point we're all probly a little bit far on the negative side because we're so into this, but so be it. I just know it's pointing up (to what "degree" or whatever I don't know), and it's just good to have that for once. Your analysis of the 'core' or what not is good. You add some FA's to that and guys like Wiz, Sharp, Sopel are true secondary contributors and excellent ones at that. I left out Havlat because Havlat has to be one of our top players. To count on him for anything other than being our top line winger is a shame (I think you guys get what I'm saying...I refuse to pencil him in as a secondary guy).

Basically like you said, Dale is really gonna have to strike it rich in FA or trade (minimum 2 total guys in the top 6/top 4 d) to put this team in a position to compete with everyone next year. FA is the easiest obviously because we don't have to give up any of our youngsters or picks, but now we have to hope guys want to play here and that we have enough funds for them.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Martin Havlat is a shell of a player not just himself but any player. If he is hurt sit him down as he is doing nothing right now and if he is a pain in the ass in the lockerroom he is bringing this team with him. With the opportunities given him there should be some sort of positive result.

I think if this team can end the season within a game or two of .500 I will view it as a positive based on the injuries. If someone would take Havalt at this point they should really think of moving him...assuming he is not playing injured. Which if he is, he should be sat down.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
/calls on his inner steve0978345798345

Hawks lost 4-1, Lalime sucks. Can't believe he couldn't keep them in the game. Those 3 goals in the 2nd took all the life out of them, especially those 2 within 40 seconds to make it 3-1! Totally different game if he tosses up a shutout, or just one goal. We might be in OT right now! Goaltending let us down yet again tonight, it's as simple as that.

/no other comments about the rest of the team's play or coaching

/end post

I think you have a KRUSH on me, every one of your posts seems to include my name. :wub:

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
On the Main Hawks board someone is claiming DT offered Forsberg a multi year deal...I love Forsberg but think he is way beyond his great playing days. He spends more time on the IR than Havlat.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229000&hubname=nhl

I think this is a move that's worth the risk. Forsberg said himself he wouldn't come back unless he thought he could play at his top level without the injury bug.

I think it's just a crazy chance to land one of the most talented players in the league and if we get lucky we get lucky... the guy makes us an instant contender for top 4 next season (of course, thats IF healthy).

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Besides like that link said he already turned down a few of the best teams, why would he agree to come to the Hawks?

Because he cares about a multi-year deal... I'm sure the "best" teams only offered him a contract for this season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
To me, thats a waste. Yes, getting the younger players some winning experience is a plus, but in the position the Hawks find themselves in, there is a good chance of them getting a top 3 pick. Not what you wanted this season, but try to take something good out of it.

Is Forsberg really going to make his comeback on a team with one of the worst records in the league? I can't imagine him signing with a team that has a future, but has a long way to go....

I definitely don't want them to tank this season - that would do some harm to the "red rising", I think - but if they keep playing like they have, the bad record will take care of itself.

I don't think I'd want them to make a coaching move this season. I'd wait until the offseason, see who's out there, and give the new coach a fresh start.

I wouldn't give Forsberg a long deal, and he wouldn't make any difference at all this year, so I'd pass on him. Again, evaluate needs after the season, target younger, healthier free agents who fit the needs and go after them.

If Forsberg wants to come along on a two-year deal, I'd be fine with it. When he's on the ice -- which obviously is the huge "IF" here -- he's still a PPG player (or thereabouts). Last year he had 55 points in 57 games. As always, it would depend on the price.

He's also a big "name" player which would only help to raise the profile of the team even more.

But as Keith said, it all depends on the price and length.

If you were the Hawks, would you be trying to trade Havlat for picks, or for a puck moving D-Man such as a Dan Boyle (even though you could just try to sign a Brian Campbell as a UFA in the off-season as well).

The Hawks could end up with a top 3 pick in the draft if things keep going as they are. Any ideas on who the top prospects are, and how good the draft is this off-season?

Trade Havlat for picks? I think we're past that point in the rebuilding. Don't get me wrong -- young is good, and if some team wants to give the Hawks a bounty of picks + prospects, then by all means do it.

Otherwise, I think the Hawks should be looking for players who can step in by next season and be ready to contribute at a (relatively) high level. I'd say the *ideal* Havlat trade would be to a team that needs a scorer and has a back-up goalie who could be ready to step in as a starter. Unfortunately, I don't think that situation exists.

I guess I was looking at it from the point of view a team at the deadline who's in playoff contention, may look to trade for a real impact player, and Havlat could be that guy. The Dallas Stars for example I think are after another scorer for their lineup.

Mike Smith plus a 1st rounder for Havlat could be an option maybe.

As for the picks and the rebuilding, I look at the impact of Kane and Toews have had as 1st rounders, and I think we should be trying to get as many early picks as we can. Obviously Barker was one who was picked early and he hasn't had the impact, but D-Man do take longer to come on.

You trade Havlat for picks / prospects, you're freeing up $6M to use in Free Agency to sign a scorer anyways.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
BTW, C Adams, Perreault, and Lapointe are all dressed tonight, and Skille is scratched.

Time to go Savvy...

Back at it: Martin Lapointe was in the lineup Wednesday after missing seven games with a bruised kidney.

Craig Adams was a healthy scratch, but he should be back in the lineup tonight at Calgary with Lapointe sitting.

"It would be tough for Marty to play back-to-back games," Denis Savard said. "I told Craig it's not about his play. I just wanted to get Marty back in for a game to see where he's at."

Savard decided to sit Adams instead of a younger player.

"If Jack Skille or a young player is going to be a scratch, then they don't deserve to be here," Savard said.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=130235&src=149

Savvy f***ing blows, I've had it.