2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
I could care less whether he goes now or later. You could have dan kelly coach the damn team the rest of the way and he'd do a better job than Savvy. He'll likely last the year, but I hope he's axed immediately after.

Oh, who are you kidding, you'd have the Dan Kelly Random Line Generator within a week!!

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Oh, who are you kidding, you'd have the Dan Kelly Random Line Generator within a week!!

:D

Though I was clearly joking about kelly coaching, now that I think about it, that would get him out of the broadcast booth. Maybe I'm onto something :lol:

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Which is exactly what the Hawks need. I have never seen a big man play so soft as Buff did last night. They really need to light a fire under his ass, because Dustin could be a huge asset to this team.

I think he got the message tonight. He has been throwing his weight around and parking in front of the net.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Which is exactly what the Hawks need. I have never seen a big man play so soft as Buff did last night. They really need to light a fire under his ass, because Dustin could be a huge asset to this team.

Eric Daze ring a bell? :lol:

This is why Savvy shouldn't have ever been giving the coaching job... seriously its horrible that they're going to have to fire this guy. He's a Hawk Legend, loves the organization, and has been loyal... but he's seriously holding this team back.

I just don't think he's technically, pardon my pun "savvy" enough to be a head coach in the NHL... he ran the power play for a couple of years - its consistently ranked last or next to last in the league.

If DT had hired Ted Nolan instead of Trent Yawney... this team would have progressed much quicker than they have. Oh well, hindsight 20/20, all that good stuff.

EDIT: Yes I know the Islanders are struggling this year... i still think nolan is a great coach, who may or may not have had sex with Dominik Hasek's wife.

Khabibulin stepped it up last night and looked like a #1 goaltender being paid 6.5 mill per season. If the Hawks want to hang onto any SLIM chance of competing for a playoffs spot this year, Bulin has to be at his best.

I have a lot of doubt that he could step it up considering he'd lost 10 in a row before last night... but if he does, we still have a chance with Toews close.

Edited by Steve9347

I only watched the second half of the 2nd and most of 3rd and Bulin was great and the defense looked really good. The lack of forward play on this team is down right scary. Ruutu and Sharp and Kane sporadically were the only guys that looked like they were doing anything. Sorry but Havlat is an embarassment right now. Why Ruutu hasn't been on the first two lines all season is mind boggling.

If DT goes after defense instead of offense this team will be going nowhere. Even if Williams and Toews are healthy they have no depth beyond their first two lines. I am writing Havlat off BTW.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Why Ruutu hasn't been on the first two lines all season is mind boggling.

I think once Toews is back (Sunday?) you'll see the return of the Ruutu-Toews-Kane line.

Havlat's obviously too concerned about his shoulder to get in there and go 100%. He needs to be shut down.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Why Ruutu hasn't been on the first two lines all season is mind boggling.

I'm the biggest Ruutu apologist ever... but there is no way defend the way he played earlier in the year. He didn't deserve to play on the top 2 lines, because he wasn't willing to play the kind of power forward role Savvy designed for him.

Yes, he's played better, with more energy and more physicality, but he still hasnt scored a goal in 24 games! He's gone more than a quarter of the season without a GOAL! I love rudy, I think he's been injured a major portion of his career which has hampered his development... but he's third line player on a good team.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 08:33 AM)
Khabibulin stepped it up last night and looked like a #1 goaltender being paid 6.5 mill per season. If the Hawks want to hang onto any SLIM chance of competing for a playoffs spot this year, Bulin has to be at his best.

I have a lot of doubt that he could step it up considering he'd lost 10 in a row before last night... but if he does, we still have a chance with Toews close.

Toews better be healthy... thats all I care about. If he's just coming to play on special teams... its the worst coaching decision I've ever seen.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
I'm the biggest Ruutu apologist ever... but there is no way defend the way he played earlier in the year. He didn't deserve to play on the top 2 lines, because he wasn't willing to play the kind of power forward role Savvy designed for him.

Ruutu wasn't scoring, but the line was dominant. Ruutu was opening up space for Kane and Toews just by hitting everything in site. Ruutu's also one of the better players on this team at mucking in the corners -- guys like Lang, Havlat and (to an extent) Sharp don't do that. They certainly don't hit like Ruutu does, either.

I'll continue to say that Ruutu has the skill-set to score goals. He hasn't this year, but there's no reason -- with other good players, not third line muckers -- that Ruutu can't or won't score goals. He's 24 years old. Obviously if he starts asking to be paid big money this offseason, you go in a different direction. But for now, there's really no reason Ruutu shouldn't be playing in the top six.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
Ruutu wasn't scoring, but the line was dominant. Ruutu was opening up space for Kane and Toews just by hitting everything in site. Ruutu's also one of the better players on this team at mucking in the corners -- guys like Lang, Havlat and (to an extent) Sharp don't do that. They certainly don't hit like Ruutu does, either.

I'll continue to say that Ruutu has the skill-set to score goals. He hasn't this year, but there's no reason -- with other good players, not third line muckers -- that Ruutu can't or won't score goals. He's 24 years old. Obviously if he starts asking to be paid big money this offseason, you go in a different direction. But for now, there's really no reason Ruutu shouldn't be playing in the top six.

Ruutu - Toews - Kane was "dominant" for about 10-15 games in the beginning of the year and then they didnt register any points for two weeks. Tuomo has good hands, and a good shot.... but I don't think he's a good enough skater to score consistently in the league (maybe a result of knee injuries). When Rudy brings the energy, throws his body around, hes a good player to have on the team... but that's not a given.

To take a line from your own argument, he should play top six "for now" when the team is barely keeping themselves in the race. A good team, would have Ruutu producing or playing 3rd line minutes.

Williams Lang Havlat

Sharp Toews Kane

Ruutu Perrault Byfuglien/Bourque

these lines make more sense in my opinion, when Jason Williams heals up

Scott Morrison Feb 9th (Carle, Seabrook, Forsberg, and Blake oh my!)

A very rough paraphrase of what Scott Morrison of CBC reported around 2:45pm pacific...

San Jose wants more offense from their defense, and Wilson has always been particularly fond of Wade Redden. Ottawa is not the only team interested in Matt Carle...Florida and Washington are also scouting him.

San Jose is looking at Brent Seabrook.

I say hell no unless Marleau is a part of this deal.....

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 11:05 PM)

To take a line from your own argument, he should play top six "for now" when the team is barely keeping themselves in the race. A good team, would have Ruutu producing or playing 3rd line minutes.

Williams Lang Havlat

Sharp Toews Kane

Ruutu Perrault Byfuglien/Bourque

I'd be okay with that, but I'd have Bolland centering with Ruutu and whoever on the other side (Skille?). My contention is having Ruutu (a) playing with scrubs like Adams, Eager, Lapointe and/or Burish and ( B ) play on these 3rd and 4th lines when it's OBVIOUS that he's better than some guys ahead of him (mainly St Pierre).

Also -- Williams isn't going to be back for a while, so Ruutu should certainly be top six at least until then.

And I wouldn't even trade Seabrook straight up for Patrick Marleau. Marleau is very good, don't get me wrong, but Seabrook is blossoming very nicely into a (at the very worst) middle pairing defender. And San Jose can "look" at Seabrook all they want... Hell, they can "look" at Toews and Kane and Keith, too -- those guys aren't going anywhere.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
Also -- Williams isn't going to be back for a while, so Ruutu should certainly be top six at least until then.

He's actually scheduled to be back next Sunday, and assuming he's actually healthy i think he will help balance out the offense as it was earlier in the season.