2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
Ugh. Thats all I can say right now. Ripped me heart strings out with last goal with 30 seconds left. Right call, but what a killer. Maybe Showtime or Snb will have more, just so pissed right now.

I don't have much to add.

From the Hawks perspective, they weren't very physical at all. They seemed very slow and just reacting to what was happening rather than trying to make the play.

Gotta regroup and comeback strong and ready to go on Sunday. Sounds like Adams will be back, which to me is a huge plus.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
For the first time in several weeks, I read a Mariotti column. I'm glad I did.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/83...T-jay08.article

Indeed, he even came up with a couple of sentences I thought are very true:

And all I could do in the press box was stare at you, the fans, still rabid after all these years of frustration and futility. It could be that you're loyal, gullible or just open-minded. Whatever, the sports teams in this city don't deserve you. You keep coming back for more, in part because there are 9 million of you within a 50-mile radius in a place where sports is a generational, hand-me-down passion. L.A. has beaches, movie stars and paparazzi. New York has Broadway, pomp and cosmopolitan pursuits.

Chicago has sports. And when it gets tired of sports, it turns to ... sports.

I must admit, truer words have yet to be spoken.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
Indeed, he even came up with a couple of sentences I thought are very true:

I must admit, truer words have yet to be spoken.

LOL ... I took that part of his column as sucking up to his base. But, the for the most part, his references to the history of the franchise and Hull and Mikita's contributions to it, were right on the money. The coverage of this tribute has brought back some great memories for me. Two players, so different in style, but so similar in effectiveness. In my lifetime, they were the best to ever wear the Indian head sweater. Ok, I'll include Tony-0 and Glenn Hall.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
Krush mentioned it, but Thornton really is incredible, especially behind the net. He is just a beast, and is so fun to watch.

They just couldn't get the puck away from him yesterday.

That goal where seabrook got beat was brutal. The hawks just seemed really slow yesterday and just got beaten on all of the little battles.

That place erupted (for about 1 second) when that puck went into the net in the 3rd

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
Krush mentioned it, but Thornton really is incredible, especially behind the net. He is just a beast, and is so fun to watch.

When Thornton is in the offensive zone, he really is like a post player in the NBA. He's like Tim Duncan, he can use his big body to position himself, and once he gets the puck... he can either dish it to a cutter (McLaren last night) or take it to the net.

its really interesting to watch.

Looking at the big picture (this week), we got four out of six points against Anaheim, San Jose and Minny. I'm sure everyone here would have taken that at the beginning of the week.

Gotta win tomorrow, though -- that's for sure. It could be prime territory for a let-down, too -- the crowd is definitely going to have to 'bring the ruckus' to keep the players amped.

As a separate note... damn if the Hawks aren't really, really close to being really, really good. The United Center is rocking on (basically) a nightly basis, we have legit franchise players in just about every spot except goalie and we're young. What an exciting time to be a fan of the indianhead.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)

Aliu got a cross check to the back while he was on the ground, I would have reacted like that too...

Aliu is a really aggressive player.... if not for a fight with a teammate a couple years back - he probably would have been a first round pick.

I'm excited to watch him develop.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Aliu got a cross check to the back while he was on the ground, I would have reacted like that too...

Aliu is a really aggressive player.... if not for a fight with a teammate a couple years back - he probably would have been a first round pick.

I'm excited to watch him develop.

I'm pretty sure Aliu gets somewhat of a bad rep. As you said, this guy deserved what he got -- cross checking him not only head-first into the boards, but to keep cross checking him when he's on the ground? I can assure you that won't be happening anymore, heh-heh.

And the other fight you allude to was with grade-A ass-sock Steve Downie, who felt it necessary to do that rookie hazing/initiation BS to Aliu. Downie has always been a prick -- he was a prick in the WJCs that I watched (I'm pretty sure one of Jack or Eric Johnson wanted to completely rip his head off) and he's obviously been a cheap-shot prick in his short time in the NHL.

Aliu may be the most exciting prospect the Hawks currently have. He can score, he's willing to drop the gloves with anybody -- type "Akim Aliu" into YouTube and one of the first clips is of him dropping the gloves with a guy who has to be at least 6"5. Aliu eventually gets dropped BIG TIME but not before he dances with the guy for a minute or so and gets some good shots in himself. In other words, Aliu is one tough sonnuvab**** -- and he (quite obviously) plays the physical game. The city of Chicago will take to Aliu like no other. He's currently scoring at a PPG pace for London, and this is as an 18-year old.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
I'm pretty sure Aliu gets somewhat of a bad rep. As you said, this guy deserved what he got -- cross checking him not only head-first into the boards, but to keep cross checking him when he's on the ground? I can assure you that won't be happening anymore, heh-heh.

And the other fight you allude to was with grade-A ass-sock Steve Downie, who felt it necessary to do that rookie hazing/initiation BS to Aliu. Downie has always been a prick -- he was a prick in the WJCs that I watched (I'm pretty sure one of Jack or Eric Johnson wanted to completely rip his head off) and he's obviously been a cheap-shot prick in his short time in the NHL.

Aliu may be the most exciting prospect the Hawks currently have. He can score, he's willing to drop the gloves with anybody -- type "Akim Aliu" into YouTube and one of the first clips is of him dropping the gloves with a guy who has to be at least 6"5. Aliu eventually gets dropped BIG TIME but not before he dances with the guy for a minute or so and gets some good shots in himself. In other words, Aliu is one tough sonnuvab**** -- and he (quite obviously) plays the physical game. The city of Chicago will take to Aliu like no other. He's currently scoring at a PPG pace for London, and this is as an 18-year old.

Any idea as to his timetable before he is ready for the AHL/NHL?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Any idea as to his timetable before he is ready for the AHL/NHL?

I'll qualify this by saying it's really nothing more than a guess and someone smarter than me could probably give you a better answer:

I'd say next year they'll try to sign him to a contract and get him in the A. I think this year is his second season in the OHL, and as shown with Hjalmarsson, they're not afraid to 'rush' guys a little bit. Then again, even Hjalmarsson was born in '87 -- Aliu is really, really young and even being in the AHL next year would be quite the jump (he doesn't turn 19 until April).

So after typing all that, my simple answer is "I don't know." If forced to answer I'd say he'll be ready for cups-of-coffee in the NHL during the 2009-2010 season and ready for full-time during the 2010-2011 season, but he is a talented kid, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a taste of the NHL towards the end of next season. If IlliniKrush sees this he may be able to give you a better answer than my sporadic sprawlings.

I'll admit to not knowing the 'mechanics' of hockey that well, but I don't like how the Hawks attack on a 5-on-3. I can see why Savard has Byfuglien at the point -- he, after all, has the hardest shot of anyone on the team. On a 5-on-3 though, I don't think it needs to be about how hard your shot is. I'd much rather see them place Byfuglien where he belongs -- right in front of the net. That takes one of the three defenders (basically) out of the play, as they have to try and fight for position with Byfuglien. If you put a diamond or a box around Byfuglien, then it would seem to give the Hawks some better looks. They'd also be able to use a little more 'placement' in their shots as the goalie most likely won't be able to see a good third of the shots.

Hawks don't deserve to win. Their defensive coverage has been brutal and Lalime hasn't been much better. Also -- leave it to Savard to tinker with something that was working. Byfuglien has been doing a phenomenal job in front of the net yet Savard feels the need to put him back on the point.

I also love how he has Ladd and Byfuglien on--

BYFUGLIEN! That goal was all him -- what an effort!