2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Patrick Sharp 34 goals this year.... he was acquired for Matt Ellison (essentially a B-level prospect at the time) and a 3rd rd pick.

Dale deserves some love for that move.

No doubt. Hawks got the HUGE better end of that deal.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
OT, and Edmonton is deadly in the extra time. One point isn't good enough, gotta get something done here.

Normally I'd say one point is better than none, but at this point the Hawks NEED the two points, and one would be a large disappointment.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
OT, and Edmonton is deadly in the shootout. One point isn't good enough, gotta get something done here.

2-2 = deadly? Unless you include the shootout -- they pwn nasty-style in the shootout.

Quite a few good performances by Lalime got the Hawks back into it, but one terrible one might have just knocked them out of it. Ouch, I mean 1 point is better than none, but this is one of their very few games left against a mediocre opponent, so you needed 2 badly.

Argh.

they're still a young team, and setbacks like this are bound to happen. They can still make the playoffs but they are just making it increasingly difficult and less likely to happen when they give away points like today.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 05:25 AM)
Crawford to get the next start?

If I had to guess, I'd say Lalime starts in Detroit and Crawford starts at home against Carolina.

I think I'd give Crawford the nod against the Wings, but I'm thinking Savard would rather have a veteran start on the road and the kid plays at home.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
Where is that certain poster at who's been rubbing mine and another posters face (in what I'm not exactly sure) in Lalime's awesomeness?

Terrible time for his worst performance of the season. Oh well...

Well what really makes this great is he came on here last week after they beat Minnesota and said how Lalime is so much better and how he's right and we're all ignoring him now, not too long after he got lit by the Kings and the Ducks and the Stars. After all, as soon as we get rid of Habby's overpriced ass this team will be fine. It was never the team in front of him, the coach behind the bench. It was ALL goaltending. The start and end according to Steve's deep analysis.

Well Habby's last game was a shutout, the 3-0 win against the Wild where he made 38 saves, IIRC. Then he got hurt. A blessing in disguise for the Hawks, right Stevey?

Habby's 5 games before getting hurt, as the team 'got back into the race'

2 goals on 40 shots, .950

1 goal on 27 shots, .963

2 goals on 34 shots, .941

2 goals on 26 shots, .923

0 goals on 38 shots, 1.000

5 games, 7 goals against (1.40)

158/165=.957

Let's take a look at Lalime's numbers since that Minnesota game:

Kings: 5 goals on 39 shots, .872

Ducks: 5 goals on 25 shots, .800

Coyotes: 0 goals on 32 shots, 1.000

Stars: 5 goals on 13 shots, .615

Canucks: 1 goal on 10 shots, .900

Wild: 2 goals on 30 shots, .933

Sharks: 3 goals on 23 shots, .870

Oilers: 6 goals on 25 shots, .760

8 games, 27 goals against (3.38)

170/197=.862

I'd love to see Steve's post had Habby threw up Friday's and Sunday's performance.

So, Keith, hopefully he's off finding a new hobby

Edited by IlliniKrush

I'd love to see Steve's post had Habby threw up Friday's and Sunday's performance.

Khabby's awful!

Again, you compare them as if they are equal, while I take Khabibulin's salary into account. Plus, Bulin is injured, again, so if he were out there I bet his save percentage would have been even worse!

On a serious note, I'm over Lalime vs. Khabibulin. Obviously neither is going to stand on their head and take over a game. I was all about Brian Griese early this year too, very vocally as well, so I've been known to be wrong before.

I do stand behind the fact that with Lalime and Khabibulin playing similarly, if this team could have found a taker for 'bulin that would be the best move, but I don't think that was even a remote possibility.

I think the fact is neither tender will steal many games means neither is the answer. As long as Patrick Kane is on a line it doesn't look like there will be much backchecking, so I think the next thing on DT's wishlist should be a stud goaltender the likes of which we haven't seen since the days of Ed Belfour (sorry to all the Hackett, Terrerri, Thibault, Bulin lovers).

I am no longer talking goaltenders as its fairly obvious the problem isn't just in the net, it's the overall defense (hence DTs wishlist to get a proven d-man in.)

sigh. they couldn't dominate forever, and this very well could be another in the list of 07-08 blackhawk streaky runs where they lose quite a few before they go on a winning streak again.

Edited by Steve9347

Bottom line...neither Lalime or Khaby is special. In fact, I wouldn't consider any of them good. Khaby may be a bit better and he obviously has a better long-term track record, but he isn't 5M a year better and if the Hawks could have dumped his salary I really don't think they would be any worse of a team on paper.

How often over the 3 years Khaby was here can you say wow, he actually won that game. Not very often, same with Lalime (who is mediocre at best as well).

I don't think the Hawks could find a taker, but given everything, I'd rather have Lalime in net and an extra 5M in cap room which can be spent elsewhere than Khaby in net.

Yeah I don't think there's not much doubt around the NHL that Khabibulin is obviously the better goalie.

Unfortunately he's shown to be a little injury prone this season, and he's already making what around 7M, so he's obviously overpaid.

The problem is to find a better value goalie, hence why Lalime is being thrown up so much. His latest stretch has probably shown he's nothing better than a backup though.

Hence why I threw up Huet a few months back, but some people think he's a system goalie and he'll probably be re-signed by the Capitals I would imagine.

Also on Akim Aliu, there were obviously big wraps on him talent wise, it was only his reputation (which was unjust) that caused him to slip in the draft. In that same draft, we took William Sweatt with our 2nd pick IIRC.

Someone on HockeysFuture, the Hawks main writer there, really liked him, and thought he could be a 2nd line winger for us in the future. Forgot who he was compared to, but it was someone pretty good.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
Also on Akim Aliu, there were obviously big wraps on him talent wise, it was only his reputation (which was unjust) that caused him to slip in the draft. In that same draft, we took William Sweatt with our 2nd pick IIRC.

We took Aliu in the 2nd Rd this past year, with the 56th overall pick.

I don't really buy into the whole "he has an attitude problem" the kid is what 18 or 19? He should have an attitude problem. The bottom line is that Aliu is 6-2, 200 and still probably growing. At that size, with his skating ability... he can be a legit pro, maybe even a Todd Bertuzzi type if he maximizes his talents.

I think he had a run in with his coach, and that caused some warning signs right there.

Aliu was our 3rd pick in that draft, that pick came from Vancouver in the Smolinski deal IIRC. Our 2nd pick was around #35, which we used on Sweatt.

I think he can play both defense and wing as well. Hopefully he can be another Byfueglien for us.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
I think he had a run in with his coach, and that caused some warning signs right there.

Aliu was our 3rd pick in that draft, that pick came from Vancouver in the Smolinski deal IIRC. Our 2nd pick was around #35, which we used on Sweatt.

I think he can play both defense and wing as well. Hopefully he can be another Byfueglien for us.

OUR 3rd Pick, but in the 2nd round and 56th overall.

Aliu got into a fight with another guy on his junior team, the guy (steve downie) wanted to haze Aliu, and they disagreed over that. They fought and he got the bad rap. (our gain).

I think comparing Bubba and Aliu is a little unfair, because Aliu is a much better skater, and Bubba has a much wider frame. But I can see some parallels in their games. (not because they're both black).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 01:10 AM)
DT needs to get creative this off-season, and needs to make a gamble. When the season is over, not only will the Hawks have an a solid, young, core in front of them, but also a decent collection of talent in the A and around the world.

Brouwer

Skille

Bickell

Brophey

Kontiola

Blunden

Sweatt

Aliu...you get the idea.

Tallon needs to figure out what to do with this collection. Clearly, all those players aren't going to pan out. Half won't. However, Tallon and his scouts need to take a long, hard look at what is in the cupboard, and determine who is a keeper, and who can be moved. With guys like Brouwer and Skille, while they still are incredibly young, it's becoming make or break time for the in the NHL. If Dale thinks they can't shake it, then move them now while they still have value.

Hawks will have a little bit on money to play with this summer, and I expect Rocky will let DT push the payroll to the cap, or damn well near it. He just can't let himself get caught up in signing someone to a huge contract, because there will be a ton of money to play with after next year, with Havlat-Bulin-Lang all coming off the books.

The good thing about Dale "gambling" is that we have the assets to lose... if he breaks a few eggs, next year (like you said) Havlat, Khabby, and Lang come off the books and we'll be able to play Free Agency with a full purse.