Lab Mistake Results in Double Mastectomy for Woman without Breast Canc

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
The Todd is crying somewhere right now...

link

I would love to sit on that jury...

$1,000,000,000 sounds about right.

:stick :stick :stick

I would love to be her attorney. I'd go cheap and only ask for 20 percent instead of 30 or 40.

Rainmaker what?

Maybe it's just my questioning nature, but before I had some body parts cut off, I'd probably want a second set of tests and a second opinion from another Doctor. So maybe if this prevents someone else from making the same mistake, something good would come from it.

Next up, should everyone at the lab suffer because one employee f***ed up?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 06:46 PM)
Maybe it's just my questioning nature, but before I had some body parts cut off, I'd probably want a second set of tests and a second opinion from another Doctor. So maybe if this prevents someone else from making the same mistake, something good would come from it.

Next up, should everyone at the lab suffer because one employee f***ed up?

what's the definition of "suffer"? put the company out of business so they lose their jobs? maybe.

my question: what kind of safeguards does this lab have to prevent things like this from happening? if the answer is anything but including at least 2-3 verifications by other employees...then the lab should be put out of business anyway. a single person's say in anything is unacceptable with such things.

realistically, it's hard for us to say what is "standard operating procedures" for labs...unless we have someone on soxtalk that would know crap like that. I agree that there should have been a second set of tests to verify the originals...

I just think that it's not up to the patient to do the fact checking and leg work. The lab and the doctor are to blame, plain and simple. The "pain and suffering" is so ridiculous to spot in this case it's not funny. Do I think she should get a billion dollars? no. 10 million for each boob should do it.