Chris Young.....

fathom

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought it was strange that the Diamondbacks would insist on anything or be in a position to insist on anything since Vazquez had demanded a trade. I always wondered why we didn't just say, "Take BA." I gave KW the benefit of the doubt that, hey, they saw the huge holes in his stance and swing as soon as they scouted him, like I did and many others here did. His swing was long for failure from the beginning. And yet, I always wondered, Maybe we didn't want to give up BA. And that's it? That's really it? The scouts and KW wanted BA over Young? Oh, my God. That's disheartening. I already believed this organization's competence laughable. And now this? They wanted Anderson and we said, "Take Young"? Because KW liked BA in Arizona?

Thank God I'm on my way out to a party.

This revelation (which opposes the common theme we've heard of Arizona likely prefering Young) places Williams evaluation of talent under greater scrutiny.

He owes us a player of Chris Young's calibur as far as I'm concerned. And this offseason, he better not be at the other end of one deal.

Time to right this mess, Williams. Don't screw up.

Contrary to what we've heard for a few years now, the Diamondbacks were willing to do the Vazquez trade for Anderson instead of Chris Young.

The facts according to Phil Rogers.

Hmmm, I wonder why Phil decided to trot this little tidbit out right now, instead of when the trade was made, or any time between then and now?

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
I love me some 20/20 hind sight!

This isnt really hindsight, everyone was upset at the deal at the time and everyone thought more of Young than Anderson. That being said people werent nearly as down on Anderson as they are now either just between the two.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
This isnt really hindsight, everyone was upset at the deal at the time and everyone thought more of Young than Anderson. That being said people werent nearly as down on Anderson as they are now either just between the two.

Really? Everyone? I know that is not true. Just because you may have thought so, doesn't mean eveyone else did. That is really a ridiculous statement to make.

Here you go. Take a look at it yourself. Seems like many liked the trade. Trade Reaction

80 - Great Trade

60 - Wait and see

And a big fat 18 said terrible trade.

That is definitely everyone.

Edited by vandy125

Here we go again. I knew we would be discussing the legend of Chris Young today sooner or later after last night's home run.

Can we just let this die already?

Please? How much you think Javy Vazquez could be helping the DBacks this postseason?

The guy we got back had a pretty good year this year in his own right.

Enough already.

Well at least Javier Vazquez has turned into a very good SP for us no?

IIRC, that was the main course of concern for posters on here when we made the deal, and THEN, re-signed him to a 3 year deal.

There were also a lot of questions on whether Young would K too much and hit for a good another average at the major league level. Still has those isses obviously, but he's turned into a heck of a player, so KW obviously made a huge mistake not including Anderson IF the D-Backs were willing to do that.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Oct 6, 2007 -> 03:35 AM)
Here we go again. I knew we would be discussing the legend of Chris Young today sooner or later after last night's home run.

Can we just let this die already?

Please? How much you think Javy Vazquez could be helping the DBacks this postseason?

The guy we got back had a pretty good year this year in his own right.

Enough already.

It's not about trading for Vazquez....it's the critical error KW made in giving up Young instead of Anderson. Now we're in a position where we're going to have to spend a lot of money on overrated center fielders this offseason.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 6, 2007 -> 04:18 AM)
Again, if Phil Rogers is the definitive authority. Phil is a nice guy and he has the gift many Texans have, he knows how to spin a good yarn.

That's why I was surprised when I first read this article, as we had never seen anything about it. However, if he's not being accurate with this story....then half of this stuff we've ever discussed on this site should probably be reconsidered.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
It's not about trading for Vazquez....it's the critical error KW made in giving up Young instead of Anderson. Now we're in a position where we're going to have to spend a lot of money on overrated center fielders this offseason.

Honestly, if you're going to look at things this way, you'll just never sleep well at night. Things like this are going to happen. And if you're going to blame Kenny for something, it just can't be that the players he trades away go on to be good major league players, because in the vast majority of instances, they simply do not. And another thing, if the DBacks supposedly wanted Anderson first, we weren't the only ones who thought he would hit at the ml level.

And as 29th said, Phil Rogers has an amazing talent for showing up with all the right know-how about 8 months after the event occurs. He never seems to have these facts at the time of the trade. It's only about a year later when some sort of event prompts him to suddenly have this knowledge. He's a decent writer in a town full of really crappy ones right now, but no one ever accused him of having the "scoop" on the White Sox, that's for certain.

Kenny traded Rowand. Anderson was the closest thing to a major league-ready CF...in his eyes That's why he didn't give him up. But on the flip side...if he thought Pods could have manned center in the interim...he'd have given up BA. But then again...he didn't have another plan for LF then. Kenny backed himself into a corner. Geez-us....Kenny's handling of the outfield the past few year is reminicent of Angelo ignoring the O line.

But hey...if KW would have done what I b****ed about for 2 years ago (sign Eric Byrnes)...we'd have an outfield of Byrnes, Young and Dye. but wtf........

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)

If Ken Williams seriously thought Anderson was a better prospect than I'm gonna call for his firing. I was under the impression they had wanted Young and the deal wouldn't have been done with BA. I decided if the Sox had to have another starter I could live with it but jesus, if its true what a f***ing horrible move (and I would have said the exact same thing at the time of the trade and likely did say that they better not have given up Young instead of Anderson).

Plus, lets not act as if Young was a diamond in the rought, immediately after being dealt he was ranked by BA as one fo the better prospects in baseball and was already in the plans to be the Dbacks everyday CFer (a spring training injury slowed down that process a bit, IIRC).

Geeze I want to vomit based on this.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Really? Everyone? I know that is not true. Just because you may have thought so, doesn't mean eveyone else did. That is really a ridiculous statement to make.

Here you go. Take a look at it yourself. Seems like many liked the trade. Trade Reaction

80 - Great Trade

60 - Wait and see

And a big fat 18 said terrible trade.

That is definitely everyone.

You ignore the part about people thinking higher of Young than Anderson? Which really is the only thing that matters because according to this the diamondbacks were willing to take Anderson instead? I still dont hate the trade, Vazquez is a pretty good starter, although I think we gave up 2 much in Young it could be worse.

I know people like to focus on the HR's and Sb's Young put up this year. But the low avg [.237] and Uribe-esqe OBP, high K total, and 6 errors, doesn't do a lot for me. I'll take a SP like Vazquez then and I'll still take Vazquez.

The sox need to acquire an OFer this offseason who can hit near .300 and get on base. And in hindsight, by all accounts, Brian Anderson was the better bet to do that than Young at the time of the trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Contrary to what we've heard for a few years now, the Diamondbacks were willing to do the Vazquez trade for Anderson instead of Chris Young. Looks like KW made a very costly error in talent evaluation, especially with how quickly we then gave up on Anderson.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Rogers is a piece of work with the Cubs down 0-2, how can I have the Sox look bad.

Edited by Soxfest

at the time of that trade, there were certainly people who thought chris young was a better prospect than brian anderson, but the gap between the two wasnt that big........anderson was projected as a 25 HR guy and nobody would have predicted when this trade was made that in just a year young would be hitting 35 HR in the majors....now was KW at fault for thinking so highly of anderson? sure, i mean he was was wrong about the guy, but he wasnt the only one who liked him...major publications also thought he was a legit major league CF........the real b**** of this whole this is just how poorly we have drafted and developed other players

Edited by daa84