Joe Torre?

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
Those Yankee teams he won with were still the best teams in baseball and they had good pitching. It was right before and during the beginning of the big boom in spending with FA's. I wouldn't say anyone could've managed them to win at least one of those titles, but many could. He did a great job and his stock rose to the top.

The '98, '99, and 2000 Yankees were probably the best teams in baseball. But the '96 team was not. Their starting rotation was in shambles for most of the year, with their ace missing 2/3 of it with a career-threatening shoulder surgery and Pettitte being the only other reliable guy. Key was at the tail end of his career and Rogers and Gooden flat-out sucked. If it weren't for Rivera and Wettleland, they would've been screwed.

As for Torre being "too laid-back", I think that it's almost necessary to have a calming, positive influence in that clubhouse with Psycho George screaming at and berating everybody in the clubhouse. I don't see it as a negative at all.

The Yankees aren't winning now being George The Idiot spent way too much in FA on high-priced players on the decline (Johnson, Wright, Clemens, Abreu, Gordon, etc.). And he was flat-out unlucky with a couple of others (Pavano, Giambi). Their farm system has still produced some quality players (Wang, Cano), but it's not enough to overcome the declining dinosaurs in the starting rotation. It's too bad (for them) that Gene Michael is gone, because the players that he scouted/developed (Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte, Williams, Posada) were what laid the foundation for that dynasty.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, I think Torre will be fired or let go and is actually going to be better suited for the team they are trying to mold.

Sure he handles the "ego's" of these high paid stars but him being laid back might be better for the young talent that they're turning to. For the young kids, it's nice to have someone always in control while being calm and collected. Someone to tell you everything is fine. You know what I mean?

It to me is funny because it looks like he is out the door and that his style just didn't work with the big payroll. Then they are going to make over the team and hire someone else who is probably not as well suited for the job as Torre would be. Kind of makes me smile.

I really do hope that they promote Bowa.