D'Backs vs. Rockies NLCS Thread

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
They're good, but part of that is the competition they are up against. They wouldn't look near this good in the AL (well they wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the AL). They are a lot better than the 2006 Cards.

I don't know if that's true. I think they're much better than the Angels, for one.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
They are a lot better than the 2006 Cards.

Alot of teams were better than that team. They alone are in the top 5 (maybe top 3, maybe even numero uno) as the worst team to ever win the W.S. I still think if the 90 win 06 sox would have gotten in, we could have seriously made noise.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
Alot of teams were better than that team. They alone are in the top 5 (maybe top 3, maybe even numero uno) as the worst team to ever win the W.S. I still think if the 90 win 06 sox would have gotten in, we could have seriously made noise.

I don't think so. They were lousy after the first half and it continued in this season, so I don't think they'd have magically flipped a switch, or that Buehrle would've regained some velocity and control, that Contreras' back would've been okay, that Garcia's fastball would've come back (and I wouldn't bet on him in those playoffs, September be damned, even though I was a big fan). That lineup dragged ass and bat, and the bullpen was completely disgusting. No way, homie.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)

IMO it's between the 06 cards and 87 Twins.

Part of the reason the Twins won is because back then even the LCS switched home field between the divisions, it didn't go to the best records. The Twins got lucky in that they had home field in both the LCS and WS. At least the Twins beat a really good Tigers team. The Cards team they beat was nothing special since two of their best hitters (including their best hitter, Jack Clark) were injured for the series.

The Cardinals were able to take advantage of a really weak NL. Yes, the Mets won 99 games, but two of their best pitchers were hurt for the playoffs. IMO if El Duque and Pedro are healthy the Mets win that series. They did beat a pretty good Tigers team in the WS.

IMO it's a toss up between those two, and you can't go wrong with either one.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 01:29 AM)
The Cardinals were able to take advantage of a really weak NL. Yes, the Mets won 99 games, but two of their best pitchers were hurt for the playoffs. IMO if El Duque and Pedro are healthy the Mets win that series. They did beat a pretty good Tigers team in the WS.

A pretty good Tigers team that couldn't throw the ball from the pitcher's mound to first base. Good or not, the Tigers played like absolute dogs*** in that series.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
This Rockies team is just good. They don't make mistakes, they have a very good bullpen, they don't have an easy out 1-8 and their sp is pretty good too(counting Morales and Jiminez here). This team just isn't hot, they're very, very good.

That's the key for mine right there. It seems over the past month, anytime there's a close game, that pen puts them over the top.

And really considering Fuentes lost his job as a closer and Corpas had to step up, they've done a HELL of a job.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
I think anyone who has half a brain, baseball wise, knows the Cards were more lucky than good. But hey, they won it all.

In order to win the World Series most teams are going to have to have some luck, but that Cardinals teams had more luck than others. I never minded the Cardinals until I bumped into some people on my dorm floor last year who were unreal about how great they thought the Cardinals were. And how they were the "greatest" World Series winner because they had such a bad season and turned it around in the playoffs. I just prefere to say that got hot and lucky at the right time.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Another dagger in the hearts of Cubs fans everywhere. Colorado is the last of the recent expansion teams to make it to the World Series before they do. And I fully expect the Rockies to win it all, too.

I think they will too but they'll lose some games in that series.

That umpire is really enjoying his strike three calls a little too much. It's actually a disgrace. I usually don't care what the ump does -- I long for the days when umpires fought players after games, it seemed like such a freer time -- but this guy is asking to be...confronted by a Rockies player after every huge left uppercut he throws.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Bob Melvin has had a horrible, horrible series. He's left some mediocre pitchers out there to die, when they have a very good bullpen (especially Cruz, who can get you the K). Oh well, at least we'll always have the NLDS.

Couldn't agree more. After Matsui hit that single I thought Owings was done. What do you know Holliday puts the game out of reach. The decision to leave Valverde in at the end of game 2 was awful as well. Not to mention the DBacks didn't bunt, hit and run, etc.