Feds sue Illinois for flouting immigration law.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299796,00.html

This is freekin awesome!!! It's about damn time the government cracked down on states and municipalities that provide safe havens for these criminals. Hopefully this is the start of a new and more aggressive trend to enforce the immigration laws we have on the books and prevent these people from bedding down here.

Here in the D/FW metro area, Irving police chief is deporting people - and it's creating quite the stir. His stance: I'm only enforcing the law, so deal with it.

It amazes me that many people get pissed off when the existing laws are actually enforced regarding immigration.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Here in the D/FW metro area, Irving police chief is deporting people - and it's creating quite the stir. His stance: I'm only enforcing the law, so deal with it.

It amazes me that many people get pissed off when the existing laws are actually enforced regarding immigration.

YOU EVIL RACIST BASTARD!!!! DON'T YOU REALIZE THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING?!?!!?

NEVER YOU MIND THAT THEY ARE STEALING IDENTITIES AND ARE CRIMINALS FROM THE INSTANT THEY CROSS THE BORDER, WE NEED STRAWBERRY PICKERS AND MEAT PACKERS DAMMIT!!!

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Cool. I might have a better chance at getting a dish washing job now.

every time I go out I ask for new plates and silverware because of how s***ty it looks... so honestly, it's like NO one is doing it at this point anyway.

There used to be a time when teenagers used to work for their cars, cell phones, and beer money. Parents are to blame for illegal immigration (is there a half green/half serious button?)...if they forced their kids to work s***ty jobs, we wouldn't be forced to depend alternative s***ty workers.

:mexico

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
every time I go out I ask for new plates and silverware because of how s***ty it looks... so honestly, it's like NO one is doing it at this point anyway.

There used to be a time when teenagers used to work for their cars, cell phones, and beer money. Parents are to blame for illegal immigration (is there a half green/half serious button?)...if they forced their kids to work s***ty jobs, we wouldn't be forced to depend alternative s***ty workers.

:mexico

Throughout college I worked in various restaurants. I started in a couple of chain restaurants and progressed to finer dining establishments. The actual dishwasher at any of these restaurants does the same exact thing. They run the dishes and silverware through a dish washing machine. At the chain restaurants there was little to no emphasis by management to ensure that silverware, glassware, and dishes were polished by the wait staff after they came through the dishwasher. I typically went ahead and did it for my tables but I didn't have to. At the finer establishments I worked at it was always part of the process of setting up the restaurant before the place opened. The waitstaff, and sometimes bussing staff, would polish each individual piece of silverware, glassware, and and dish that was placed on a table.

Going back to the dishwasher in question, this person sits there in extremely uncomfortable conditions (very hot and humid) running big trays of dishes through the machine....over and over and over again, for several hours in a row. That is their job. That's all they do. If the dishwashing machine isn't doing a great job at making everything spotless he cannot feasibly sit there and polish each individual item since the dishes pile up constantly. It is ultimately up to the waitstaff to ensure that you are not getting a plate with smudges or a glass with some lipstick that didn't completely wash off.

So next time you go to Chili's or Applebee's don't blame the dishwasher for a less than perfect looking plate. It's really your server.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Throughout college I worked in various restaurants. I started in a couple of chain restaurants and progressed to finer dining establishments. The actual dishwasher at any of these restaurants does the same exact thing. They run the dishes and silverware through a dish washing machine. At the chain restaurants there was little to no emphasis by management to ensure that silverware, glassware, and dishes were polished by the wait staff after they came through the dishwasher. I typically went ahead and did it for my tables but I didn't have to. At the finer establishments I worked at it was always part of the process of setting up the restaurant before the place opened. The waitstaff, and sometimes bussing staff, would polish each individual piece of silverware, glassware, and and dish that was placed on a table.

Going back to the dishwasher in question, this person sits there in extremely uncomfortable conditions (very hot and humid) running big trays of dishes through the machine....over and over and over again, for several hours in a row. That is their job. That's all they do. If the dishwashing machine isn't doing a great job at making everything spotless he cannot feasibly sit there and polish each individual item since the dishes pile up constantly. It is ultimately up to the waitstaff to ensure that you are not getting a plate with smudges or a glass with some lipstick that didn't completely wash off.

So next time you go to Chili's or Applebee's don't blame the dishwasher for a less than perfect looking plate. It's really your server.

Don't worry...that didn't come off as a nerdy rant or like you have a vendetta towards waiters at all.... ;)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
Don't worry...that didn't come off as a nerdy rant or like you have a vendetta towards waiters at all.... ;)

No the point was that, contrary to common sense, it's not the Mexican dishwasher who is at fault when your fork is dirty at a restaurant.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
No the point was that, contrary to common sense, it's not the Mexican dishwasher who is at fault when your fork is dirty at a restaurant.

sorry, I didn't mean to bait. It was just a long response to my otherwise meaningless throw away post... (most of them are.)

I was just saying, that that job was a crappy one and that I just don't buy that immigrants are the only ones that will do crappy jobs.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
Americans will do them do. You just have to pay them more money.

probably. maybe. 30% unemployment in the city amongst african americans might be affected if they didn't have to compete with migrant workers.

There's no real way to say, i guess. We're talking a few extra dollars an hour at most anyway...a few thousand dollars a year. These differences aren't putting companies out of business either way.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Not out of business, but it will do things like hike food prices.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing either.

well, how long could the dollar menu last at McDonald's anyway?

I'd just like to add that I was a dishwasher for an entire year at my universities cafeteria. That was in 2000-2001. There were quite a few of us from "upper" level family backgrounds going to a small, extremely expensive private school (Illinois Wesleyan). It was work study, so I didn't even see any money come my way, it all went towards my education. I think I figured it out that it was somewhere close to 7 bucks an hour.

So yes, there are people out there who would do it if need be. I think the whole argument that we lose those workers for good if they leave is crap.

I would agree with y'all if unemployment rates were double digits, but they are not, and haven't been. Even with immigrants, y'all still found dishwashing jobs, so there seems to be more than enough to go around. Build a guest worker program and rely on legal workers.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
I would agree with y'all if unemployment rates were double digits, but they are not, and haven't been. Even with immigrants, y'all still found dishwashing jobs, so there seems to be more than enough to go around. Build a guest worker program and rely on legal workers.

AND throw out all the illegal ones while you are at it.

I know everyone went all hot button topic on us... well except for PA, but that's a different story... but I think the most important issue here is being misssed. States right versus federal rights. Does the federal government have the right to force the states to enforce the laws that the state doesn't like?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 07:43 AM)
I know everyone went all hot button topic on us... well except for PA, but that's a different story... but I think the most important issue here is being misssed. States right versus federal rights. Does the federal government have the right to force the states to enforce the laws that the state doesn't like?

IMO, that should only hold water if those laws are within the Constitutionally granted purview of the federal government. Immigration/emigration is, I am pretty sure, within federal purview. Its part of the concept of citizenship (federal), and also possibly related to defense and security (also federal). I do not know off-hand if the US Constitution specifically addresses it, but I do know that its accpeted legally that the federal gov't has the final say over who can or cannot come in.

Of course, the other aspect to this not at all about legal control, and more about financial influence. As the federal government gets into spending on more and more typically state-controlled areas such as education and health care, and the states come to rely on those monies supporting their systems, the federal government has an almost blackmail-like control over the actions of the states across the board. They can simply say, do this, or you don't get your funding. Ironically, during Reagan's administration in the 80's, in their attempt to give more control back to the states, they ended up using a tool that backfired and had the opposite effect - block grants. Those monies have been so riddled with conditions that the states become even more beholden to the federal government than they were before.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)

I'm totally offended. The dollar menu at McD's is a huge hot button topic. :lol:

What would be the socio-economic ramifications of taking away the dollar menu at mcdonalds? ----> Rev. Al would be picketing!

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
I'm totally offended. The dollar menu at McD's is a huge hot button topic. :lol:

What would be the socio-economic ramifications of taking away the dollar menu at mcdonalds? ----> Rev. Al would be picketing!

Ooh a big word and it was properly used! It must be PA's day :lol:

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)

And poor Ben from Growing Pains would be out of a spokesperson job again.