Feds sue Illinois for flouting immigration law.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
taking away the dollar menu at mcdonalds? ----> Rev. Al would be picketing!

it would be like taking prairie grass away from the mighty buffalo. his whole ecosystem, and the implicit food chain within it, would be in complete chaos

i know that i'll enjoy having my tax dollars spent rounding up migrant workers and then spending more money out of my pocket to go out to eat at Chillis because we've replaced (5) $6/hr workers with (5) $10/hr workers.

tied with increasing mortgage forclosures, a 100.5% spending rate (US individuals spend more $ than they make as a whole now) the gigantic trade deficit, the continuing devaluation of the dollar and a gigantic budget deficit, I'm sure that a drop in corporate profits and/or increasing consumer debt & squeezing the middle/lower class is exactly what this country needs.

Plus, removing say 2-3 million retail spending consumers (rent, food, local sales taxes, etc) will certainly help the local economies which are struggling now more than ever.

There's no perfect answer here. :usa

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
i know that i'll enjoy having my tax dollars spent rounding up migrant workers and then spending more money out of my pocket to go out to eat at Chillis because we've replaced (5) $6/hr workers with (5) $10/hr workers.

tied with increasing mortgage forclosures, a 100.5% spending rate (US individuals spend more $ than they make as a whole now) the gigantic trade deficit, the continuing devaluation of the dollar and a gigantic budget deficit, I'm sure that a drop in corporate profits and/or increasing consumer debt & squeezing the middle/lower class is exactly what this country needs.

Plus, removing say 2-3 million retail spending consumers (rent, food, local sales taxes, etc) will certainly help the local economies which are struggling now more than ever.

There's no perfect answer here. :usa

I know you're kidding because of the color of the text, but really most of those arguments don't fly. There's no magic switch that will be flipped for the entire country once illegals are gone to force business like Chili's to increase wages. There are plenty of high school kids who would work those jobs. I don't think there's much cost there.

I also think the massive decrease in social services that your tax dollars pay for mixed with a new upkick in tax revenue from replacement workers or illegals become legals far outweight the loss in retail spending that would be lost.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
There are plenty of high school kids who would work those jobs. I don't think there's much cost there.

I don't know about plenty. Sure some kids will work as a dishwasher but if you had a choice to work at the Sprint store, the Gap, or washing dishes for the same amount of money why would you choose the latter?

The industry that I am most concerned about is agriculture. High School kids can't follow the crops for 9 months picking and processing. It is also unlikely that enough local workers can be found for 3-4 weeks at a stretch. That is where a guest worker program is critical. I also believe it is critical to our national security. I believe eating is a good thing.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
The industry that I am most concerned about is agriculture. High School kids can't follow the crops for 9 months picking and processing. It is also unlikely that enough local workers can be found for 3-4 weeks at a stretch. That is where a guest worker program is critical. I also believe it is critical to our national security. I believe eating is a good thing.

I think they should just take the robots from the car making plants that are taking american jobs away, feed it some burritos, and stick them out in a field. problem solved.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
i agree. in addition, very few HS kids are going to work for minimum wage or slightly higher.

Really? Most kids I grew up with did something like that in HS and in college. I know I did. I worked a variety of low-paying, crappy jobs. Many college students I went to school with worked the corn and soybean fields too during the summers, detassling and woking.

I am not saying there won't be a negative impact if all of a sudden many of the illegal immigrants leave, because there would be. But there are positive results as well. You need to take both into account. And further, a policy undertaken needs to keep both in mind.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Really? Most kids I grew up with did something like that in HS and in college. I know I did. I worked a variety of low-paying, crappy jobs. Many college students I went to school with worked the corn and soybean fields too during the summers, detassling and woking.

I am not saying there won't be a negative impact if all of a sudden many of the illegal immigrants leave, because there would be. But there are positive results as well. You need to take both into account. And further, a policy undertaken needs to keep both in mind.

They never have crappy jobs on the OC...and everyone's either a doctor, a lawyer, or a politician on tv. jason must be right.

I think there is a problem of perception with this issue. On the one hand not every American kid is upper-class and against working a job 'beneath' them. On the other we all think that every illegal makes pennies on the dollar when in reality a lot of them make some good money.

No doubt that kids will work, but I happen to volunteer and work around a lot of these kids and the ones that want to work find work. Obviously being between the border and the interior checkpoints this is the easiest spot for illegals. Yet the high school kids that desire jobs find them without any problem. I can't believe that kids who are willing to accept these positions are not getting hired.

So the question becomes, absent immigrants, will the kids that aren't working suddenly decide they will work in a bean field? I don't see it. They aren't going to abandon football, dance lessons, gymnastics, WOW, and all their other activities because our nation needs laborers.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
They never have crappy jobs on the OC...and everyone's either a doctor, a lawyer, or a politician on tv. jason must be right.

its all about supply and demand. if you, as a high school kid, have a choice of washing dishes for $7/hr or being a summer camp counselor for $10/hr, which job would you take?

growing up in a blue-collar community, here is a list of 10 jobs that my friends and I in High School had.

1) Walgreens

2) Camp Counselor

3) Lifeguard

4) Park District Sports Coach (Baseball, Cheerleading, Basketball, Swimming, etc)

5) Sports Referee

6) Dairy Queen

7) Waiter

8) Wedding Banquet Server

9) Golf Caddy/Course Assistant

10) CD Store

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)

My summer job in high school was lawyer. I never lost a case. EVER.