Man faces long prison term over doughnut theft

BigSqwert

FARMINGTON, Mo. - It's a hefty price for a pastry: A man accused of stealing a 52-cent doughnut could face time in jail.

Authorities said Scott A. Masters, 41, slipped the doughnut into his sweat shirt without paying, then pushed away a clerk who tried to stop him as he fled the store.

The push is being treated as minor assault, which transforms a misdemeanor shoplifting charge to a strong-armed robbery with a potential prison term of five to 15 years. Because he has a criminal history, prosecutors say they could seek 30 years.

"Strong-arm robbery? Over a doughnut? That's impossible," Masters told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch from jail. He admitted that he took the pastry but denied touching the employee. "There's no way I would've pushed a woman over a doughnut."

Farmington Police Chief Rick Baker said state law treats the shoplifting and assault as forcibly stealing property. The amount of force and value of the property doesn't matter.

"It's not the doughnut," Baker said. "It's the assault."

Masters said he didn't even get to enjoy his ill-gotten gains: He threw the doughnut away as he fled.

LINK

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
And we'll pay thousands of a dollars a year paying for his room and board.

So do you advocate just letting him go? What is your plan, o snarky one? He committed a crime. If you let it go unpunished, that encourages others to do the same, since the fear of jail is gone. Even if it was just a doughnut. But yet if you throw him in jail, we have to pay for his jail time. Pick one. Or we could do it the Islamic way and just cut off his hand(s). Since we will all be under their rule soon anyway, might as well get used to it.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
So do you advocate just letting him go? What is your plan, o snarky one? He committed a crime. If you let it go unpunished, that encourages others to do the same, since the fear of jail is gone. Even if it was just a doughnut. But yet if you throw him in jail, we have to pay for his jail time. Pick one. Or we could do it the Islamic way and just cut off his hand(s). Since we will all be under their rule soon anyway, might as well get used to it.

Oh come on now. You think this is appropriate?

a potential prison term of five to 15 years. Because he has a criminal history, prosecutors say they could seek 30 years.

You don't just let him go but maybe 15 days in county jail and a fine? That sounds a little more reasonable IMO.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Oh come on now. You think this is appropriate?

You don't just let him go but maybe 15 days in county jail and a fine? That sounds a little more reasonable IMO.

What is his criminal history? The story says he has one. What if his next 'job' was a bank heist? For taking a doughnut and pushing someone, no i don't think 30 years is appropriate. Keep in mind it said they could seek up to 30 years, not that it was 30 years. but if he pushed the guy and he got hurt, or if this was just a small blip in his life of serious crime, not sure if I have a problem here. But my question remains: do we let him go or lock him up? Pay to keep him off the street or let him go and risk an increase in crime? Tex was bemoaning the costs involved in locking him up, so I asked which he preferred.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Something less than even 5-years. Perhaps house arrest, or a work release system where he spends a year of nights and weekends in a cell.

Fair enough. I could go for that, as long as his criminal past isn't for violent things. Then something different may be called for.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Fair enough. I could go for that, as long as his criminal past isn't for violent things. Then something different may be called for.

Sure. And overall I favor Judges having more, rather than less, options in these cases.