TBS

Tannerfan

So far I saw all three D-back/Cubs games, and yesterdays Angels/Bo-Sox and Yankee/Tribe games. I have to say I think the TBS coverage is far better then Fox or ESPN. Dick Stockton still mangles sentences like no other announcer in history, but overall I like how the games are the focus of the broadcasts, and the announcers don't seem to play favorites. No Chris Berman yelling "Oh Nooooo!!!!" when a Red Sox second baseman makes an error, or Tim McCarver giving us his stupid little word play. Not to mention cutting to 27 close up crowd shots between each pitch.

Can't say I like the Ernie Johnson, Big Frank, and Cal show, but the games themselves have been well covered.

They have by far the best on screen graphics and studio of any sports broadcast (I know I'm pretty much the only person who focuses on these things). It's a shame I hate Cal Ripken Jr as much as I do because Ernie, Frank and Granderson/Smoltz has been tolerable.

The Stockton/Darling team was just plain horrendous and Chip Carey's hyperbolic bulls*** gets real old, real quick but aside from them the broadcast teams have been pretty good. Stone and Gwynn are 2 of the best in the business.

I really wish the rest of the playoffs were staying... I don't know why our chicago broadcasts (and fox/espn for that matter) haven't adopted the scorecard for players stats so you really know what happened during the game. The HD looks glorious too... ESPN's is just as stellar, but any game on FOX leaves a little to be desired imo.

TBS has done a great job in the playoffs the cameras have been the worst. Almost every ball I saw hit into the outfield onto a fly they made it look like it was gone which was kinda annoying but no big deal.

Other than that they chose some excellent broadcasters who Ive enjoyed listening to, though I think its unfair that they dont put any games on Fox kinda screws those who dont have cable.

I like the little 'leading off base' graphic they have put up for runners on first. I have had no qualms with the announcers, but the Orsillo/Simpson duo that did the Rocks/Phils series stood out (to me at least). They let the game be the game it seemed.

I hope TBS does a great job next year for the Sunday afternoon Game of the Week

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 01:39 AM)
I have liked TBS' coverage so far, but Chip Caray was absolutely awful tonight. It seemed like he wanted the Yankees to win. He acted like Cleveland winning the series was a huge upset, even though Cleveland had the better record.

Chip Caray needs to take a chill pill or something

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
They have by far the best on screen graphics and studio of any sports broadcast (I know I'm pretty much the only person who focuses on these things). It's a shame I hate Cal Ripken Jr as much as I do because Ernie, Frank and Granderson/Smoltz has been tolerable.

The Stockton/Darling team was just plain horrendous and Chip Carey's hyperbolic bulls*** gets real old, real quick but aside from them the broadcast teams have been pretty good. Stone and Gwynn are 2 of the best in the business.

In the Frank Thomas thread I noted that TBS is well ahead of ESPN in their sports coverage and hope they push further into it. Being able ot utilize TNT helps as well. I have also stated for years that the coverage of Braves baseball is extrordinary.

Also the camera guys are independent guys hired in that city. The camera cuts are production guys that could be TBS guys but probably not. That stuff will work itself out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
The only thing TBS has done wrong is the overkill of the Frank TV commercials.

That.

Also, Big Frank needs some work, he was pretty awkward. But I have to say I was impressed by Granderson - he had the presence and the smoothness of someone who had been there before.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I will take Chip anyday over friggin' Dusty Baker! Good Lord, that guy is terrible!

I know everytime they showed the booth in last nights game I saw Tony Gwynn in there, but did he just run in for face time or what? He really doesn't say much.