White Sox Fall/Winter League Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

Phoenix loses 1-0. Sox players...

Getz: 1-4, CS (hitting .280, getting lots of AB's)

Lucy: 2-3, 2B (6 for his last 14, average now up to .227, he's also thrown out 5 of 11 attempted base stealers)

Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (His line so far in the AFL: 10.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 10 K)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bourgeois, who has been in a bit of a slump, had a good game as Mochis won 7-5.

3-5, 2B, R, RBI...upped his average to .291.

33 year-old Tomas Perez has been hot in the Venezuelan League. He's batting .389 in 14 games, good for third best in the league.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Just making sure you're aware of Russell's 4.79 ERA in 194 innings in AA, which is a pitcher's park, to go along with some very mediocre peripherals.

He may have dynamite stuff, and he may be a breakout candiate next year at AAA as a reliever full-time, but I'm not about to put the word good anywhere near him yet, even if it's talking about the pen as a whole. That would insinuate that he's a good prospect, when merely I think all you can do is classify him as a sleeper.

Well, I know he is a project, and I'll like to think that spring training last year wasn't a mirage. He should a good mid-high 90's fastball w/ movement, and a good breaking pitch. I'm not saying he will be anything special, but I wouldn't write him off this early.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 07:30 AM)
Phoenix wins 6-5. Sox players...

Sweeney: 2-5, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB

Getz: 1-5, R, RBI

Lucy: 0-1

Russell: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

Day: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Sweeney has played well in the past week or so. He is showing pretty good base running ability as well now with 2 SB's. Perhaps that is something the white sox want him to work on?

Russell with a bad outing, but Day (outside of the first week or so) has pitched very good.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Sweeney has played well in the past week or so. He is showing pretty good base running ability as well now with 2 SB's. Perhaps that is something the white sox want him to work on?

Russell with a bad outing, but Day (outside of the first week or so) has pitched very good.

Ryan is still slugging .262

A few Sox players did good in the AFL today...

Getz 2-4, 2B, R (now hitting .281)

Egbert: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (ERA now 3.26)

Russell: 1.0 IP, K (ERA now 2.40)

----------------------

By the way, he didn't play today, but something nice to think about - Fernando Hernandez' line so far in the AFL:

11.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 11 K, for a 0.60 WHIP, a .100 Avg Against and a perfect 0 ERA

That's after his 2007 AA B-Ham campaign where he had a 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 84 K's in 85 innings. In 2006, he had a 1.93 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 81 K's in 65 innings for A+ W-S.

He's 23, and probably headed for Charlotte in 2008. He was a 49th round (wow) selection in the 2002 draft, but signed with the Sox in 2003 after playing a year of college ball. The only "hitch" in his development was a lousy 2005 with W-S, after having pretty good 2003 and 2004 campaigns at GF and Kanny. Other than that 2005 year, does anyone know why this guy seems not to be mentioned among the system's relief prospects? Does anyone know more about this guy, like stuff, velocity, etc.?

He's got an AAP page, but its just the introductory stuff.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
A few Sox players did good in the AFL today...

Getz 2-4, 2B, R (now hitting .281)

Egbert: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (ERA now 3.26)

Russell: 1.0 IP, K (ERA now 2.40)

----------------------

By the way, he didn't play today, but something nice to think about - Fernando Hernandez' line so far in the AFL:

11.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 11 K, for a 0.60 WHIP, a .100 Avg Against and a perfect 0 ERA

That's after his 2007 AA B-Ham campaign where he had a 3.06 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 84 K's in 85 innings. In 2006, he had a 1.93 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 81 K's in 65 innings for A+ W-S.

He's 23, and probably headed for Charlotte in 2008. He was a 49th round (wow) selection in the 2002 draft, but signed with the Sox in 2003 after playing a year of college ball. The only "hitch" in his development was a lousy 2005 with W-S, after having pretty good 2003 and 2004 campaigns at GF and Kanny. Other than that 2005 year, does anyone know why this guy seems not to be mentioned among the system's relief prospects? Does anyone know more about this guy, like stuff, velocity, etc.?

He's got an AAP page, but its just the introductory stuff.

1.41 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 10.6 K/9, 2.9 K/BB in 70.1 IP - Jeff Bajenaru at AAA in 2005

It's possible to be a dominant reliever in the minors and be a pretty mediocre (or worse) reliever in the majors. I'd imagine that's what Hernandez is.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
1.41 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 10.6 K/9, 2.9 K/BB in 70.1 IP - Jeff Bajenaru at AAA in 2005

It's possible to be a dominant reliever in the minors and be a pretty mediocre (or worse) reliever in the majors. I'd imagine that's what Hernandez is.

Of course its possible. Its also possible to be a mediocre reliever in the minors (statistically) but be good in the majors. My question was, if his numbers are good, what is it we don't know about him that makes him less of a prospect? I'm not saying it isn't the case. I was looking for the "why".

Phoenix won big today. Sox...

Sweeney: 3-5, RBI, R, SB (he's 5-for-6 in SB in 20 games in the AFL - he was 8-for-13 in all of the regular season)

Getz: 3-5, 2 R, RBI (hitting .304, he's the only .300 hitter on the team)

Lucy: 1-5, R, 4 K (Donny still hitting .200, striking out a lot)

Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB (now has 12.2 IP, still no earned runs)

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm really starting to like Chris Getz...ive never seen him play but im starting to think he could be one of the Twins type guys that always bug the hell out of us, which would be a good thing to have on this team

From Steve Stone's Blog 11/6/07:

Chris Getz was a 4th round pick in June 2005. He went to the University of Michigan. He is hitting 279 with no homeruns and 4 runs batted in. He is a second baseman with a good eye and a 367 on base percentage. He has plus speed but he is not a great base stealer, he is a good base stealer. In his career, he walks more than he strikes out and that’s rare in this day in age.

Here's a description of Getz from MiLB.com in Spring 2006 where they were recapping the 2005 draft after players' first year in the minors...

"Getz represents a new kind of player coming in via the draft, guys who can fill super-utility roles right off the bat. One of the best pure hitters in the draft, Getz spent most of last summer with Kannapolis, where he hit .304 and drew 35 walks vs. only 10 strikeouts. Mostly a second baseman at Michigan, Getz can also play short, third, even center field, where he can use his plus speed to be a Chone Figgins type. If he doesn't end up being an everyday player at one spot, he could be a guy who gets 450 ABs moving around the field."

Edited by scenario

I can't remember if it was Bureau, but someone recently stated that Getz was looked at as having some plus hitting skills. Add that to his speed, and ability to draw walks, and I think he might make a good backup plan if Richar doesn't work out in 2008. And having him and Bourgeois in the system is good - one of the two of them could make a solid backup IF.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm really starting to like Chris Getz...ive never seen him play but im starting to think he could be one of the Twins type guys that always bug the hell out of us, which would be a good thing to have on this team

He doesn't do anything spectacularly, but he does pretty much everything well.

If not for the injury that robbed him of almost two months, he would have been a Southern League post-season All-Star. The offensive performance in Birmingham really suffered without him at the top of the lineup.

He's a big leaguer, maybe not an everyday guy, but he's a big leaguer.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
He doesn't do anything spectacularly, but he does pretty much everything well.

If not for the injury that robbed him of almost two months, he would have been a Southern League post-season All-Star. The offensive performance in Birmingham really suffered without him at the top of the lineup.

He's a big leaguer, maybe not an everyday guy, but he's a big leaguer.

Platoon him with Richar.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Platoon him with Richar.

you can't really platoon him with Richar cause both are lefties... unless one of them kills lefties but can't righties, and that just wouldn't make any sense.

I like Getz and can see him as early as sometime in 08 due to injury or lack of preformance by Richar.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
A good comparison for Getz is a lesser, but lefty version of Dustin Pedroia.

Christ... you're certainly on a roll today.

Pedroia, seriously? The same Pedroia who at 21 was already at AAA (Getz is already 24 and hasn't tasted Charlotte)? The same Pedroia whose minor league OPS is over .140 points better than Getz'?

That's a brutal comp.