Many Yankee question marks..

GreatScott82

Torre looks to be all but gone.

Posada, Rivera and Pettite are all free agents. They will likely keep Posada but Rivera is reported to be shocked that the Yankees haven't approached him for a new contract. Pettite is likely to go back to Houston or retire with his boy Roger.

And then we have A-Rod. Im guessing he opts out of his contract and signs with Boston.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)

Posada, Rivera and Pettite are all free agents. They will likely keep Posada but Rivera is reported to be shocked that the Yankees haven't approached him for a new contract. Pettite is likely to go back to Houston or retire with his boy Roger.

And then we have A-Rod. Im guessing he opts out of his contract and signs with Boston.

where he should have been since moving from Texas....

I don't see why they should be in trouble. They have three stellar young starting pitchers in Joba, Kennedy, & Hughes plus two young position players in Melky/Cano. They also have zillions of dollars in payroll and even if Arod walks they have the ability to both trade for new guys or sign new guys (albeit none will be as good as Arod).

its a very compelling yankee offseason for sure....the yankees recommitted to their farm system and they have some terrific young players even outside of the ones weve already seen...itll be interesting to see if they continue to shift towards younger players or if they sign some vets to bad contracts...my guess is posada and rivera resign...posada will get more than he should you are right about that...especially at his age, but if arod walks they really have some offensive production to fill, given that abreu posada and even jeter a little bit appear to be on the downswing...the pitching can probably withstand the pettitte hit, its just the question of whether or not the boss will be willing to count on wang mussina and 3 of hughes/kennedy/chamberlain/igawa

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
its a very compelling yankee offseason for sure....the yankees recommitted to their farm system and they have some terrific young players even outside of the ones weve already seen...itll be interesting to see if they continue to shift towards younger players or if they sign some vets to bad contracts...my guess is posada and rivera resign...posada will get more than he should you are right about that...especially at his age, but if arod walks they really have some offensive production to fill, given that abreu posada and even jeter a little bit appear to be on the downswing...the pitching can probably withstand the pettitte hit, its just the question of whether or not the boss will be willing to count on wang mussina and 3 of hughes/kennedy/chamberlain/igawa

I dunno, probably the best catcher around. He'll get what he deserves.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)

You look to be partially right:

Alex Rodriguez's agent hints A-Rod likely to opt out of contract and become free agent

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez is ready to cash in. Again.

Agent Scott Boras hinted Tuesday that A-Rod will opt out of the final three seasons of his contract with the New York Yankees and seek a new deal in the free-agent market that will lock him up through his pursuit of Barry Bonds' home-run record.

Boras negotiated Rodriguez's record $252 million, 10-year agreement with the Texas Rangerd before the 2001 season, a contract the Yankees took over when they acquired A-Rod before the 2004 season. His next deal could last for more than a decade.

"Alex wants to be in one uniform for a long, long time, if not to the end of his career," Boras said of the 32-year-old, headed to his third AL MVP Award. "I think Alex could play very reasonably until he's 45. So you're talking about a situation where we want this guy to be identified with one franchise and one uniform for a very, very long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Alv3...p&type=lgns Edited by RME JICO

If I were the Yankees I would just flip the team. Make some in the FA market and via trade and just change the mentality up there.

He can buy players at the deadline or earlier for next to nothing so why not see where a little "small ball" gets him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
Remember when Pettite leaves Joba is stepping right in to the rotation.

and hughes is becoming a forgotten name in that mix....it was only a few months ago that many considered hughes to be one of the top few pitching prospects in the game along with bailey and lincecum

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
and hughes is becoming a forgotten name in that mix....it was only a few months ago that many considered hughes to be one of the top few pitching prospects in the game along with bailey and lincecum

s***. Those two could anchor the rotation for the next 5-7 years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Posada and Rivera will still be Yankees next year. That team is both too loyal and too smart to let those guys walk.

A lot of those guys have never played for anyone else but Joe Torre. Firing Joe could be seen as the ultimate disloyalty and piss some of them off enough to not come back.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
A lot of those guys have never played for anyone else but Joe Torre. Firing Joe could be seen as the ultimate disloyalty and piss some of them off enough to not come back.

They were talking about htis on ESPN Radio this mornign with Jayson Stark and they all agreed that money is what will keep Posada Petitte and Rivera in NY over Torre leaving and Torre has nothing to do with A-Rod.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Nothing is ever set. Joba, Hughes, Kennedy and Wang can very easily implode tomorrow.

But yes, they do have a nice young assembly.

Nope, the laws of humanity to not apply to the New York Yankees. They have this 4 man rotation set for 10 years.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Nope, the laws of humanity to not apply to the New York Yankees. They have this 4 man rotation set for 10 years.

I don't understand why you like Wang so much. He's good, but I don't think he's a genuine front-of-the-line starter. I'd take him as a two, though.