Konerko Speculation

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
One thing that I am twisted about is this...Let's say we do this deal. Yes, it makes our team younger and potentially better down the road. If we add some quality FA's, then maybe it makes us better now.

If we don't though, I can't see this team being better. I can see them having a better record next season as we all can agree this season seems to have been a fluke, but overall I can't see this team being better.

The part that is bothering me through all of this is what was above, as that was more of an outline. It is that our front office seems to have no clue what they are doing. Now, Maybe the value they were getting at the deadline for some of these guys wasn't as good but either way the resigning of Dye just kills me.

He of everyone seems he will age the worst. He is back to being injury prone and he plays a demanding position for an old guy.

Why would we resign instead of dealing him for prospects, or letting him go for the draft picks?

I don't think this team was a fluke.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this team was a fluke.

You don't think this team has a happy medium between this season and the two previous?

Obviously additions and subtractions hurt/helped but I'd like to think that this team played a little under their standards this season.

If not, and I am mistaken then all the more reason to not have kept lots of these guys around.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
Yes an off year

Konerko SLG

1999 .511

2000 .481

2001 .507

2002 .498

2003 .399

2004 .535

2005 .534

2006 .551

He's going to be 32 at the start of next year -- I would bet a large chunk of change that Konerko won't top 2006.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
He's going to be 32 at the start of next year -- I would bet a large chunk of change that Konerko won't top 2006.

Much as I like Paulie and hate that its true, I have to agree. Over the next 3 seasons, he'll probably be closer to 2007 numbers than 2006. Still a very good offensive weapon with good defense at 1B, but decreasing speed (if thats possible) and range, and not those gigantic All Star type seasons too often any more. So I would not be opposed to trading him for the right return.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I mean, is this really a deal that all of you guys can get excited about? There would have to be additional deals to make this in the Sox favor.

Yes, if the Sox replaced Paulie's bat with Arod or another top bat or if they went out and made a major splash elsewhere. However, I think if you move Garland you have to find a way to get another arm in here (as I still would want to move Contreras for parts).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
I mean, is this really a deal that all of you guys can get excited about? There would have to be additional deals to make this in the Sox favor.

I'm really sure you can say the same thing from Anaheim's perspective too.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
I'm really sure you can say the same thing from Anaheim's perspective too.

Not really.

To put it simply; Anaheim need bat. If I'm Anaheim, if I can get a bat without giving up anyone I can't replace, I'm happy. I have more than enough OF's right now, but I also have too many light hitting guys. I need a 30+ Hr, 100+ RBI guy to hit behind Vlad. End of story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
Not really.

Sure you can. If you're Anahiem, you're production at first-base is going to be marginally better for $12 million dollars more, and the arm you're getting back wouldn't even be your second best starter (maybe not even third best, depending on what you think of Weaver).

Hell, ask any of the Halo fans over at BTF or a place like Halo's Heaven and I'm pretty sure they'd hate the deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
I need a 30+ Hr, 100+ RBI guy to hit behind Vlad.

There's two (if A-Rod opts out) of those guys on the market who would cost nothing but money, and two others (Jones and Hunter) who are pretty damn close who -- again -- cost nothing but money.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:40 PM)
Not really.

To put it simply; Anaheim need bat. If I'm Anaheim, if I can get a bat without giving up anyone I can't replace, I'm happy. I have more than enough OF's right now, but I also have too many light hitting guys. I need a 30+ Hr, 100+ RBI guy to hit behind Vlad. End of story.

well that problem is easy as hell to solve; it doesn't involve giving up any players, there's no long-term commitment, and best of all, comes with a bonus .450 OBP!

Nothing more needs to be said, obviously.

I only read the first page of this thread and if that's the trade, I wouldn't mind it one bit. In fact, I'd love that deal. At the least, maybe include a C+ or B- type spect from the Angels and I'll love the deal. Also considering I'm a big Kotchman fan but Shields alone would be f***ing sick in our pen and Figgins would look sexy in our OF.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
To follow up on CWS's perspective on Konerko and the trade. Would it be feasible to trade Garland for Figgins and Shields?

Depends on the other offers you would get. For example if the Sox could get a good young SS for Garland such as Chin - Lung Hu, I'd probably head down that path.

That said, if Shields got back to his dominant form, and Figgins could produce as he did this season going into the future, I would probably make that deal.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
Sure you can. If you're Anahiem, you're production at first-base is going to be marginally better for $12 million dollars more, and the arm you're getting back wouldn't even be your second best starter (maybe not even third best, depending on what you think of Weaver).

Hell, ask any of the Halo fans over at BTF or a place like Halo's Heaven and I'm pretty sure they'd hate the deal.

I agree. This deal would be completely slanted in the Sox favor. Look past the HR totals and factor in park effects and defense -- Kotchman is as good as Konerko right now and $12M cheaper. A year of Garland at $12M certainly isn't more valuable than Shields & Figgins. This would be a great trade for the Sox. So great that there's no way LAA does this. They are a smart conservative organization with money. They can just buy a bat and 4th starter and keep the talent. Why wold they do this trade?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
I agree. This deal would be completely slanted in the Sox favor. Look past the HR totals and factor in park effects and defense -- Kotchman is as good as Konerko right now and $12M cheaper. A year of Garland at $12M certainly isn't more valuable than Shields & Figgins. This would be a great trade for the Sox. So great that there's no way LAA does this. They are a smart conservative organization with money. They can just buy a bat and 4th starter and keep the talent. Why wold they do this trade?

Depends how desperate Arte Moreno is right now. If they can't get A-Rod, my guess is he forces Stoneman to make a big deal.

Remember they were after a big bat last off-season and they ended up with Garry Matthews Jr.

Can people please stop saying the Sox will go after ARod?! 20 mil a year won't do it for him anyways. It's like people conveniently forget Boras is his agent. I'll say it right now....for 30 mil a year, I'd much rather have Fields at 3rd base, and use the other 29.5 million to upgrade the other holes.

2 quick Arod factoids I heard from Olney today. Boras is looking for an 11 year deal for his 32 year old client and according to Buster the Yankees are prepared to offer Alex a contract that averages $31M a year.

Now tell me, how and why would the Sox compete with that?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
2 quick Arod factoids I heard from Olney today. Boras is looking for an 11 year deal for his 32 year old client and according to Buster the Yankees are prepared to offer Alex a contract that averages $31M a year.

I'm sure you could offer him about a hug a week.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Depends how desperate Arte Moreno is right now. If they can't get A-Rod, my guess is he forces Stoneman to make a big deal.

Remember they were after a big bat last off-season and they ended up with Garry Matthews Jr.

Bonds, Hunter, and Jones would be other power options they could buy without parting with any talent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)

Even if they could, the Sox can't lock up that much payroll in one player. Particularly without any cheap young talent on the way. It would cripple the team. The Sox don't have resources LAA, BOS, and NYY do.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
Bonds makes a ton of sense, and is the most likely option. Hunter and Jones are going to take a DH job, and the Halos aren't just going to kick Matthews to the curb...

Well, Anderson could move to DH and that would open an OF spot for Hunter or Jones. I agree Bonds seems like the most likely option.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
Bonds, Hunter, and Jones would be other power options they could buy without parting with any talent.

Hunter and Jones I would cross out because they signed Garry Matthews Jr. to play CF, and I don't know if they'd ask him to move to a corner after 1 season.

So Bonds is probably the best bet there.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
That would be an awful trade. You need to get some younger players, and adding only one of them in a trade for 2 of your biggest players just wouldn't be beneficial. When you take into account the rumored players in the Teixiera trade to the Angels, we should be able to get a better package. There's no doubt in my mind that any trade to the Angels would bring back Ervin Santana.

If teams inquired about PK during July and KW wanted 3 top prospects, why would he lower his demands so much for just PK and give up a 200+ inning pitcher.

It doesn't add up.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
If teams inquired about PK during July and KW wanted 3 top prospects, why would he lower his demands so much for just PK and give up a 200+ inning pitcher.

It doesn't add up.

Bob

Because he was never going to get 3 top prospects for a 1Bman who might be top 10 in the league.

Off the top of my head, and in no order...

Morneau

Teixeira

Howard

Pujols

DLee

Berkman

Fielder

Gonzalez

and that's not including guys like Ortiz and Hafner who are DH's, nor does it include the 2nd best home run hitter this year in Carlos Pena, and it's very possible I'm missing some.

At this point, there is only one player you might get 3 top prospects for in the White Sox organization, and that's Mark Buehrle, and even then some teams will question whether he is consistent enough to be the #1 of their staff. Also, Vazquez has the stuff, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't been nearly consistent enough the past 4 years or so, so you'd probably be able to get 1 or maybe 2 for him, but not much more.

If KW's expecting 3 top prospects, he may as well go pound some sand now because he isn't getting it.

Because he was never going to get 3 top prospects for a 1Bman who might be top 10 in the league.

Off the top of my head, and in no order...

Morneau

Teixeira

Howard

Pujols

DLee

Berkman

Fielder

Gonzalez

and that's not including guys like Ortiz and Hafner who are DH's, nor does it include the 2nd best home run hitter this year in Carlos Pena, and it's very possible I'm missing some.

At this point, there is only one player you might get 3 top prospects for in the White Sox organization, and that's Mark Buehrle, and even then some teams will question whether he is consistent enough to be the #1 of their staff. Also, Vazquez has the stuff, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and hasn't been nearly consistent enough the past 4 years or so, so you'd probably be able to get 1 or maybe 2 for him, but not much more.

If KW's expecting 3 top prospects, he may as well go pound some sand now because he isn't getting it.

I think Paulie can command a few prospects. Maybe not all top flight but he still puts up good numbers and if you deal him to an AL team, they can DH if they want.

As far as Buehrle goes. Idk if we can get the kind of stuff you think for him. If we can, you would figure the Cardinals who are dying to get him would consider their top prospect Rasmus for him. I would be happy with Rasmus alone, anything else would be great.