Konerko Speculation

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Considering that Stoneman made the decisions for the Angels, I would assume that this is the puts to rest that Terry Boers has any inside knowledge on this rumor he made up ?

First of all, how do you know that he made it up?

Second, early in this thread some people thought that Stoneman's refusal to trade younger players for older players was the reason this trade would not be made. If that fact is true, then his leaving would make it more likely that it would be made. But, who knows - time will tell.

Second, early in this thread some people thought that Stoneman's refusal to trade younger players for older players was the reason this trade would not be made. If that fact is true, then his leaving would make it more likely that it would be made. But, who knows - time will tell.

** I haven't heard or seen the rumor anywhere else so I wouldn't be surprised if Boers made it up. Or instead of made it up, he probably suggested it.

I've looked and tried to find it through prosportsdaily's newspapers and other websites but just haven't seen anything.

**Stoneman leaving I think will go 50/50 for what can happen. They can bring in a "Steve Phillips" like GM who will trade anything to win now, which I would assume any newly hired GM would try to do. Start out throwing all your chips in the pot and if it pans out, youre secure and crowned king of the respected city. Especially with the Angels having a few older vets and with that division gaining in respectability. They have the prospects to deal and could have deals pan out in their favor for immediate success.

It could backfire and they could hire a statistics head, build through your organization type guy. Which if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal nothing.

**I did see today that the Dbacks are interested in potentially acquiring a SP. Garland and the Sox, I would assume have to be in on the talks if they are serious.

There is no room for Carlos Quentin or Carlos Gonzalez with Byrnes, Upton and Young. I wouldn't think it's rocket science to try and work out a deal starting with Quentin and/or Gonzalez (I prefer Gonzalez) and maybe finishing with Max Scherzer. I can't see them doing it but with how close they got last season, why not? Callapso, a 2b prospect has been compared to Kendrick for his constant contact. May not be a bad guy to go after either.

Scherzer is a Boras client so I highly highly doubt it, I just went to college with him so I know he is a stud and would love to have him in our organization.

We seem to have a good relationship with the Dbacks for deals so I wouldn't be surprised if we are among the top on their list.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/99698

Edited by Chombi and the Fungi

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
** I haven't heard or seen the rumor anywhere else so I wouldn't be surprised if Boers made it up. Or instead of made it up, he probably suggested it.

I've looked and tried to find it through prosportsdaily's newspapers and other websites but just haven't seen anything.

**Stoneman leaving I think will go 50/50 for what can happen. They can bring in a "Steve Phillips" like GM who will trade anything to win now, which I would assume any newly hired GM would try to do. Start out throwing all your chips in the pot and if it pans out, youre secure and crowned king of the respected city. Especially with the Angels having a few older vets and with that division gaining in respectability. They have the prospects to deal and could have deals pan out in their favor for immediate success.

It could backfire and they could hire a statistics head, build through your organization type guy. Which if so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal nothing.

**I did see today that the Dbacks are interested in potentially acquiring a SP. Garland and the Sox, I would assume have to be in on the talks if they are serious.

There is no room for Carlos Quentin or Carlos Gonzalez with Byrnes, Upton and Young. I wouldn't think it's rocket science to try and work out a deal starting with Quentin and/or Gonzalez (I prefer Gonzalez) and maybe finishing with Max Scherzer. I can't see them doing it but with how close they got last season, why not? Callapso, a 2b prospect has been compared to Kendrick for his constant contact. May not be a bad guy to go after either.

Scherzer is a Boras client so I highly highly doubt it, I just went to college with him so I know he is a stud and would love to have him in our organization.

We seem to have a good relationship with the Dbacks for deals so I wouldn't be surprised if we are among the top on their list.

Max may be a Boras client but he's also a guy that you won't even have to deal with Boras for a good number of years. The same could be said with John Danks who was acquired even though he is a Boras client. If you get 5 to 7 good years out of Scherzer before he becomes a UFA than who cares if he ends up walking (you'll take the draft picks or maximize his trade right near the end). Heck, for all you know he opts to change agents or something else happens.

I to a point understand drafting away from Boras guys (if there are similar guys on the board that rate out as good tools wise) but once they have signed and they are still in the minors I'll take my chances because you don't even begin dealing with Boras until arbitration kicks in.

And you are right about Max being a stud. The only major question with him is whether or not he will be able to stay healthy (I know his last season or so at Mizzu he had some arm issues and those concerns along with Boras had him fall a bit on many draft boards).

Max may be a Boras client but he's also a guy that you won't even have to deal with Boras for a good number of years. The same could be said with John Danks who was acquired even though he is a Boras client. If you get 5 to 7 good years out of Scherzer before he becomes a UFA than who cares if he ends up walking (you'll take the draft picks or maximize his trade right near the end). Heck, for all you know he opts to change agents or something else happens.

I to a point understand drafting away from Boras guys (if there are similar guys on the board that rate out as good tools wise) but once they have signed and they are still in the minors I'll take my chances because you don't even begin dealing with Boras until arbitration kicks in.

And you are right about Max being a stud. The only major question with him is whether or not he will be able to stay healthy (I know his last season or so at Mizzu he had some arm issues and those concerns along with Boras had him fall a bit on many draft boards).

I agree with that. It's just the signing post-draft that is difficult. Boras is an asshole. Everyone knows that and he sometimes goes overboard to stick it to people.

Take for instance the Arod signing in Texas. Supposedly, The Braves and Schuerholz were among the top (ironically Schuerholz took shots at him and the new Arod contract today - calling it and essentially Boras obnoxious and idiotic) to land Arod. They laughed at what Boras was demanding for Arod and if the word is true, the deal with Texas was for 250 mil. He insisted on 252 just to exactly double the Braves offer (supposedly 2nd best) and sent an email to Schuerholz saying "You just don't get it".

It's that kind of thing that a bad relationship with him can lead to where maybe he tells a drafted player to hold out and just go to college or indy league and wait for the next seasons draft.

If you can get the guy in and signed immediately, then by all means, it makes sense because you don't have to deal with him for years. If not, then stay away as lots of teams did this season. He had a few guys drop several spots this season and even with Scherzer two seasons ago. Some say it may have been him being injured at Mizzou but I think moreso it was a Boras thing that kept him out of the top 3, where most experts had him going for years.

If the Sox had any chance at getting him. Why not, he definately gives us a grade A prospect IMO.

Edited by Chombi and the Fungi

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
With the depth we have at SP, that'd be a fairly stupid position to lock yourself into.

Well Balta, I guess Kenny is really pretty stupid, because part of the deal for Dye in Boston was Kenny's interest in Justin Masterson, a Starting Pitcher in their AA.

The poster who followed you also made another great point that I don't need to expand on.

Well Balta, I guess Kenny is really pretty stupid, because part of the deal for Dye in Boston was Kenny's interest in Justin Masterson, a Starting Pitcher in their AA.

The poster who followed you also made another great point that I don't need to expand on.

Definately true. We have a lot of decent guys but no one at the top. Masterson is a guy I really like. Keeps it on the ground. Was it him though or Bowden we wanted though?

Also, let's not forget that just because we add more arms that we can't subtract some in other deals. It's not like once you have them, you're stuck with them. Adding a higher quality arm benefits us and teams are more willing to deal more for arms. So trading away a C or low B level arm after acquiring a B-B+ arm wouldn't be a bad idea. Trading away a couple of our guys to get a decent hitting prospects seems logical.

The quality over quantity thing is so true, especially for us.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Definately true. We have a lot of decent guys but no one at the top. Masterson is a guy I really like. Keeps it on the ground. Was it him though or Bowden we wanted though?

Also, let's not forget that just because we add more arms that we can't subtract some in other deals. It's not like once you have them, you're stuck with them. Adding a higher quality arm benefits us and teams are more willing to deal more for arms. So trading away a C or low B level arm after acquiring a B-B+ arm wouldn't be a bad idea. Trading away a couple of our guys to get a decent hitting prospects seems logical.

The quality over quantity thing is so true, especially for us.

The media reports indicated that it was going to be Masterson or that other reliever (whose got an awesome arm) + Willy Mo Pena. Bowden's name came up a bit, but I think Masterson was the guy they wanted.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)

Because it's Terry Boers and he all of the key components of the trade named so he was leading us to believe that this was a deal that could be likely done fast early on in the off-season.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)

Boers claims to have a source in the organization. I remember one time towards the end of the season he was talking about 8 players that wouldn't be wearing a MLB Sox uni in 2008 for various reasons. I didn't get the whole list but here are some of the names he mentioned:

Garland

Aardsma

Cintron

Hall

One of the other sucky relievers KW just traded for last winter, I forget the name

We'll see if any of these guys will be back.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Boers claims to have a source in the organization. I remember one time towards the end of the season he was talking about 8 players that wouldn't be wearing a MLB Sox uni in 2008 for various reasons. I didn't get the whole list but here are some of the names he mentioned:

Garland

Aardsma

Cintron

Hall

One of the other sucky relievers KW just traded for last winter, I forget the name

We'll see if any of these guys will be back.

Bob

Seriously, you don't need a "source" for that list. That is about as common sense as you get. If he has mentioned someone like Bobby Jenks or Mark Buehrle for example I might be inclined to believe that, but every name on that list has an intelligent reason for not being here next year, and has been well talked about that they might be gone.