Konerko Speculation

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't think Steve is advocating for a trade of Jenks for, say, Coco Crisp. He's just saying that if you get a really, really good deal, you take it, and I definitely agree. But I don't think that deal is coming. (Something like the Colon trade.)

Exactly, I never said TRADE THE MO-f***-A! I said you all are overvaluing the closer role and if the right deal comes up you jump on it and laugh...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
Exactly, I never said TRADE THE MO-f***-A! I said you all are overvaluing the closer role and if the right deal comes up you jump on it and laugh...

Especially for a closer with weight issues and a screw holding his elbow together.

Heres a question. Where does Figgins play? 2B? 3B? RF? Cf? those are the positions he has played most the last 2 seasons. Alot of people would want some power from the CF FA class if this deal goes down. So in my eyes that leaves figgins to play 2B and Richar to sit or play in AAA.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
You might want to check that out... dude pitched a lot in 2005 (and was called up July 5)... if 2005 didn't count then I'd think the MLBPA would have something to say about that... teams would do it all the time.

'Dems the rules. He will only have 2 years of service time after this season just as this year will not count towards Fields' service time. The MLBPA did have something to say about it, they negotiated the definition of a full season in the latest CBA.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
You have had a hard on for trading Bobby all year long. Did he kick your dog or something. This is the first time in a long time we have a good closer and the first thing you want to do is spin him for prospects. He is young, and he is cheap. And dont give me the well we could get a Borowski type guy, because those types won't play well at the Cell. Ask the rest of our pen how getting the ball up works in our park in the summer. To me you build your pen backwards from Bobby. You have a Loogy in Boone, Waserman looks like he will stick. This is your starting point. Fill the rest from there.

I didn't take it as him wanting to trade him; the discussion was brought up as to who the Sox most valuable player on the trade market was. I said Buehrle, and I obviously in no means want Buehrle to be traded.

Jenks and Buehrle - two guys you can start to build a pitching staff around - are the two most valuable members on the trade block for the White Sox. That's not surprising, but it also doesn't mean they are going anywhere.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
If the Sox could somehow bring in Rivera on a 3 year deal (incredibly unlikely, I know) I'd be in favor of turning around and dealing away Jenks for a package centered around 2-3 top prospects. It would never happen but IMO it would be a great move.

Agreed that it probably wouldn't work (Rivera will probably want too much $), but it's a good idea. Assuming that the window of opportunity closes after '08, I'd be in favor of holding onto Jenks for one more year as the setup guy. If the Sox are out of contention by late July, he can be dealt then (or next winter, if they do manage to compete).

I think the Angels might finally cough up some of their prospects. This post-season has them reeling from the lack of a power bat behind Vlad, more so than years past. They've made runs at Konerko, Manny and others but have come up short. I think Moreno has seen enough and wants Stoneman to be even more aggressive...at least, that's what I'm hearing from the local media.

I think Bonds and A-rod will be their primary targets.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
is it funny to anyone else that Angels fans want to get rid of Kotchman, in fact keep calling for that deal of Kotchman, Figgins and Santana for Tex, they call him soft, and injury prone. Yet we act like this guy is complete gold.

The grass is always greener...

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
I was listening to Boers & Bernstein at 4:30 today, and Boers said that this deal is being discussed by the Angels and Sox: Konerko and Garland for Figgins, Kochman and Shields. FWIW.

Hi, everyone.

This is my first post on this board and I look forward to posting here daily for years to come with all of you.

I'd have to say this deal wouldn't make sense at all. Mainly because the re-signings of MB and Dye have shown that we're not about to just cut payroll, which is exactly what a deal like this would be trying to do.

I saw Shields pitch 5 or 6 times this year and he's clearly in decline.

I'd rather just get some lightning rod arms and throw them in the pen for cheap rather than on overpriced middle reliever that's on his way down.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Hi, everyone.

This is my first post on this board and I look forward to posting here daily for years to come with all of you.

I'd have to say this deal wouldn't make sense at all. Mainly because the re-signings of MB and Dye have shown that we're not about to just cut payroll, which is exactly what a deal like this would be trying to do.

I'd rather just get some lightning rod arms and throw them in the pen for cheap rather than on overpriced middle reliever that's on his way down.

Yeah, since that worked so well this year. Welcome to the site though!

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Hi, everyone.

welcome to SOXTALK

:cheers :snr :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Hi, everyone.

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

The grass is always greener..

True, everybody on Ozzie's ass should be thankful he managed great in the postseason two years ago. Ozzie as you recall let our starters pitch into the ninth inning unlike these losers this postseason (yes Joe Torre) taking guys out after two to four innings.

Piniella? My god, his decision to yank Zambrano in game one only cost them the entire series at that exact moment.

The grass is always greener. You are right.

That said, this trade should not happen.

Konerko and Garland?? These are key key pieces.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
I was listening to Boers & Bernstein at 4:30 today, and Boers said that this deal is being discussed by the Angels and Sox: Konerko and Garland for Figgins, Kochman and Shields. FWIW.

I wonder if this was some radio skip returning to Earth from about 2004 or so?

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
Hi, everyone.

Don't try and steal my nickame :lol:

Welcome to the board and I think you are right with your opinion of the trade

I think the Angels might finally cough up some of their prospects. This post-season has them reeling from the lack of a power bat behind Vlad, more so than years past. They've made runs at Konerko, Manny and others but have come up short. I think Moreno has seen enough and wants Stoneman to be even more aggressive...at least, that's what I'm hearing from the local media.

I think Bonds and A-rod will be their primary targets.

If what you are saying is true, then I hope this deal gets tweaked a little.

To me, shields is on the decline. He may help us now, but I don't think this team is a "now" team.

Figgins, i just don't like. Maybe its personal, not quite sure. I know that I think he is a little overrated because fantasy heads all have had man crushes on him for the 60+ steals he can offer.

If you're hearing they may be willing to deal prospects, then lets get them. I know lots of people feel the same way I do when you hear dealings of good players for prospects, it makes you sick a little.

In this case though, Kotchman is a top 5 defensive first basemen IMO. He may or may not develop Paulie like power but I'd like to give him the shot. If he doesn't, get the power from elsewhere.

Garland though appeared to be getting dealt for prospects or an over the hill shortstop. If He and Konerko in this deal could bring back Adenhart, I think we will love this deal. Getting Kotchman, Adenhart and another prospect would be huge for us. I doubt they'd give Wood up too but at the same time, I have to imagine they are real frustrated in LA. Konerko behind Vlad is huge for them, and they can still maybe sign another bat for DH.

Garland would help that staff. It's a more pitcher friendly park, and he would be their 4 starter basically. A rotation of Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, and Garland would be tough to beat.

I like this deal. I think the Angels get the better end on the players, but assuming the money saved in the deal gets invested back in the team, this could really improve the Sox. It all depends on who they spend the extra money on. In that way, it reminds me of the Lee for Pods/Viz trade. The Brewers got the better player, and the Sox got the pieces for a ring. With KW, it would not shock me if this was the beginning of a chain of deals that ends up with ARod at short or 3rd. He does not think small. If you want more team speed, adding Figgins a parting ways with Konerko would be good start. I love Pauly and appreciate what Garland has done for the Sox. However, both have had some ugly slumps over the years.

Edited by 103 mph screwball