Google streetview

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
I've seen time indicative things (movie marquees and such) that put it just after the 4th of July until Late August.

Apparently they didn't get out our way for updated ones yet. The foundations for some of the houses on the other side of the lake aren't even in and they've been there for 2 years this summer.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Oh man looks like they stopped at Naper Blvd so my house got missed by a couple thousand feet

You are lucky, otherwise I would have creeped on your house too.

What is Google even thinking with this anyways? Do they not realize what a terrific advantage they are giving to creepers and stalkers all over the world?

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
Apparently they didn't get out our way for updated ones yet. The foundations for some of the houses on the other side of the lake aren't even in and they've been there for 2 years this summer.

Streetview is a view from the street. I assume you're looking at the satalite images, which have been around for 3+ years in some cases (Soldier Field is still under construction)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
So what other places besides Chicago can you view the streets of?

click streetview while you're zoomed out on the US...

A quick look shows San Fran, LA, LV, Portland, San Diego, Pheonix, Tuscon, Denver, Houston, Chicago, Orlado, Miami, Pittsburgh, Philly, and New York.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
You are lucky, otherwise I would have creeped on your house too.

What is Google even thinking with this anyways? Do they not realize what a terrific advantage they are giving to creepers and stalkers all over the world?

There is that ugly side, but it will also do wonders for people looking for landmarks and such, or just to be able to see where exactly they are going. I keep finding myself having to drive to clubs I have never been to before, and driving city streets looking for building fronts, signs, addresses sucks. If I had a snapshot of what exactly I was looking for, that would help immensly.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Streetview is a view from the street. I assume you're looking at the satalite images, which have been around for 3+ years in some cases (Soldier Field is still under construction)

Oddly some of our area is avaliable in streetview and some isn't. And even more odd is that half of our subdivision is updated on the sat maps. The school is complete and they also show the new HS on Naper/Plainfield being built, but the houses on the other side of our lake don't exist yet. Strange.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 9, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
Cheat is there a way to tell when they took them?

I checked our building, and the picture is VERY recent. Like August or September recent. New building just down our street looks almost like it does now, in terms of phase of construction.

This is uber-cool. And kind of creepy.

I saw the van go by on Congress in late June / early July. I was hoping to see myslef, but don't. There's a couple blogs out there that post funny things found by the Google Street View - a couple making out in a park, a half naked guy walking down the street, reflections of the van they use, etc.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:32 AM)
I checked our building, and the picture is VERY recent. Like August or September recent. New building just down our street looks almost like it does now, in terms of phase of construction.

This is uber-cool. And kind of creepy.

The deck at Rosebud was repaired in early September and the pic reflects that with the view from the bridge. I agree creepy-cool. The technology is amazing.

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
I saw the van go by on Congress in late June / early July. I was hoping to see myslef, but don't. There's a couple blogs out there that post funny things found by the Google Street View - a couple making out in a park, a half naked guy walking down the street, reflections of the van they use, etc.

Do you have a link? That's funny.