Report: Schuerholz expected to step down

SoxPride56

The Braves have a major announcement scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET.

It's expected that longtime GM John Schuerholz is stepping down and being replaced by his assistant, Frank Wren.

Schuerholz took over as GM in 1990 and the team won 14 straight division titles before struggling the past two seasons.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7322496

The Braves and Cardinals continue to weaken the National League with their ownership issues. Maybe baseball isn't as well off as believed. Attendance is up yet the D'Backs had 4,000 tickets available for tonight's game. This should make the cub sale a bit more interesting if teams are finding themselves strapped after an ownership change.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
How long is Pratt's term as President of Soxtalk? I think he's doing a fine job.

By my account, elections are in December but I intend to stay on as Prime Minister, since I'm doing such a good job.

--

I was hoping, praying, that Schuerholz would take the opportunity to go one more time. Frank Wren's a good baseball man, with much time under Schuerholz, so he should be alright, but damn this is surprising. John's still got a lot left in the tank.

I'm not sure how big a loss is. Many indications are that he's still going to be very active. I mean, it's a big difference, but the organization is still going to be run in a John Schuerholz manner, so who knows what'll happen.

I must say, this does sadden me and I will soon write an article for a baseball site I occasionally write for and I'll share it.

"I think it's obnoxious...for someone to suggest that this is a valid salary level for a professional athlete, no matter what kind of voodoo economics they can do in analyzing the books of MLB, it's absolutely asinine...

"When he presented us with that kind of offer with Andruw Jones, we found it so ridiculous and obnoxious we didn't even respond. It didn't even rise to the level of requiring a response. It's just idiotic."

Man, I miss Schuerholz already.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
Man, I miss Schuerholz already.

So...he is basically saying the same thing KW said last offseason, but with a few more adjectives...?

and, if he wants to call it voodoo economics, he can; it's economics all the same. More owners are willing to pay for these players at a higher price, and thus, their salaries have increased.

(and this is all the more reason the Sox should have traded Garland and Dye at the deadline, and Konerko (plus perhaps others) this offseason...an opinion, of course, but if KW intends on contending next year, he has to buy into the economics of today's game, and pay more than a player is usually worth, plus get a hell of a return for Garland in a deal this offseason, along with hoping he gets the free agent he wants and that the planets atleast get close to aligning)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 04:00 AM)
So...he is basically saying the same thing KW said last offseason, but with a few more adjectives...?

and, if he wants to call it voodoo economics, he can; it's economics all the same. More owners are willing to pay for these players at a higher price, and thus, their salaries have increased.

(and this is all the more reason the Sox should have traded Garland and Dye at the deadline, and Konerko (plus perhaps others) this offseason...an opinion, of course, but if KW intends on contending next year, he has to buy into the economics of today's game, and pay more than a player is usually worth, plus get a hell of a return for Garland in a deal this offseason, along with hoping he gets the free agent he wants and that the planets atleast get close to aligning)

Schuerholz has been saying it for a long time -- never this strongly, of course, but he's long had a rough relationship with sleazy agents and irresponsible owners. I especially get a big kick out of hearing him, a conservative Republican, call something "Voodoo Economics." Just another example of Schuerholz being a thoughtful, well-balanced man.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
Schuerholz has been saying it for a long time -- never this strongly, of course, but he's long had a rough relationship with sleazy agents and irresponsible owners. I especially get a big kick out of hearing him, a conservative Republican, call something "Voodoo Economics." Just another example of Schuerholz being a thoughtful, well-balanced man.

Well I guess the Whitesox are filled with thoughtful, well-balanced men then because they have been preaching this approach to Boras and the highway robbery of agents for a while now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
Well I guess the Whitesox are filled with thoughtful, well-balanced men then because they have been preaching this approach to Boras and the highway robbery of agents for a while now.

Yes and no. There are two things the White Sox and Atlanta have in common: 1. No no-trade clauses.

2. No highway robbery.

But these things in common don't match.

1. Atlanta doesn't even give out partial no-trades. (But they assure big-names, "We don't trade away superstars. We sign them for a reason, and it isn't to trade them," and people believe that from them.)

2. They'll deal with Boras on a big name. Like Greg Maddux. We won't ever bid on a big name Boras client. We'll deal with a small-timer like Crede, but not Rodriguez or Maddux, that's for sure.

Besides that, the Braves can get away with refusing to give out money because they pump out talent every single year. We? We're lucky to develop someone who might eventually become a good bullpen arm for hte Washington Nationals.

And Schuerholz is thoughtful and brilliant by all accounts not just because of these things but for a variety of reasons that are unique to him over just about every other GM in baseball. I'd guess over every GM in baseball.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)

KW isnt quite as well-balanced but he has at least tried to take a stand against outrageous contracts and Boras as a person. Of course he is sitll extremely stubborn and has made bad deals because of his arrogant attitude, but at least he doesnt overpay.

Edited by RockRaines