This made me chuckle.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
Only millions of people every week.

Its sad that some people get their "news" that way.

I suppose there are probably some radio and TV folks out there discussing politics that aren't polarizing sufferers of diahrea at the mouth. But I haven't heard or seen any yet.

I do have an objective question, though. Why do you guys think that liberal radio is struggling so much while conservative radio is an explosive success? Is it the message, the marketing, maybe a combination of both? Is it a demographic thing ( being that most listeners of talk radio are white males )?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
I do have an objective question, though. Why do you guys think that liberal radio is struggling so much while conservative radio is an explosive success? Is it the message, the marketing, maybe a combination of both? Is it a demographic thing ( being that most listeners of talk radio are white males )?

I'd go with a combination of poor marketing and the personality of the demographics involved. Marketing is pretty obvious - they just do a really poor job of it, and the conservatives are just better at the business end of things. But another key is that the personality types of the mainline and further left, nowadays, is way too online-oriented. Radio is passe. Whereas the mainline and further right tends to be more old school - radio is still big time.

The liberal folks are far better at the online battleground than the rightists are. That doesn't bode well for the future for the GOP, since that is the direction things are going.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I'd go with a combination of poor marketing and the personality of the demographics involved. Marketing is pretty obvious - they just do a really poor job of it, and the conservatives are just better at the business end of things. But another key is that the personality types of the mainline and further left, nowadays, is way too online-oriented. Radio is passe. Whereas the mainline and further right tends to be more old school - radio is still big time.

The liberal folks are far better at the online battleground than the rightists are. That doesn't bode well for the future for the GOP, since that is the direction things are going.

That's an excellent point. One saving grace for radio, however, is that you can't log onto the internet during your drive time, which is when a lot of folks tune into talk radio.

I don't think "political" talk radio is as popular as it's made out to be. I think some personalites are big like pill poppin Rush. Here in Chicago the "right' radio station the wind 560 was ranked 30th overall. Maybe in the south this is a big thing.

I tried to listen to the wind 560 once and Micahel Savage was on. I was stuck in traffic and Micahel Savage was talking about how the gays were taking over the world. I didn't know if should laugh or cry.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
That's an excellent point. One saving grace for radio, however, is that you can't log onto the internet during your drive time, which is when a lot of folks tune into talk radio.

That's very true. And I think the whole XM/Sirius thing, along with HD radio, has given a bit of resurgence to radio. Probably a temporary one, though.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
I don't think "political" talk radio is as popular as it's made out to be. I think some personalites are big like pill poppin Rush. Here in Chicago the "right' radio station the wind 560 was ranked 30th overall. Maybe in the south this is a big thing.

I tried to listen to the wind 560 once and Micahel Savage was on. I was stuck in traffic and Micahel Savage was talking about how the gays were taking over the world. I didn't know if should laugh or cry.

PROVE IT! ;)

Seriously, I agree with you on this point. Who cares, and why do conservatives get all stupid when it comes to this particular issue?

I don't think there's anyone I find more abhorrent on the Right than Michael Savage. In fact, I lose respect for all those who say they enjoy him or appreciate him. I'm sure there are one or two things people of all stripes could agree with him on but he's a violent (in rhetoric, at least) jag with a foul attitude and crazy ideas.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
I don't think there's anyone I find more abhorrent on the Right than Michael Savage. In fact, I lose respect for all those who say they enjoy him or appreciate him. I'm sure there are one or two things people of all stripes could agree with him on but he's a violent (in rhetoric, at least) jag with a foul attitude and crazy ideas.

Are you aware that he hates Bush? And most of the Republican congress? I guess because he hates the Dems more, that makes him on the right? Just askin, because I know he doesn't consider himself a republican, nor to be anywhere aligned with the religious right.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Are you aware that he hates Bush? And most of the Republican congress? I guess because he hates the Dems more, that makes him on the right? Just askin, because I know he doesn't consider himself a republican, nor to be anywhere aligned with the religious right.

Umm, I don't hate Bush. And I'm pro-War in Iraq. And I'm a Capitalist. It has s*** to do with "The Left" and everything is "HOMOSEXUALS!" and "BORDERS!" and all the other nonsense he writes about. This is the second time that you have gotten me and my ideology and political affiliations wrong but I'll excuse it as I guess you had no way of knowing whether or not I affiliate myself with the Liberal Left as my numerous criticisms of men ranging from Jimmy Carter to Kofi Annan and my criticisms of women from Cindy Sheehan and Nancy Pelosi don't display anything resembling independent thought. It is clear, I suppose, that I'm a Partisan hack.

really. "Are you aware that he hates Bush?" Yeah, that's what I base everything on.

And just because he identifies with the Right doesn't mean he isn't on the Right. He's definitely on the Right.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Umm, I don't hate Bush. And I'm pro-War in Iraq. And I'm a Capitalist. It has s*** to do with "The Left" and everything is "HOMOSEXUALS!" and "BORDERS!" and all the other nonsense he writes about. This is the second time that you have gotten me and my ideology and political affiliations wrong but I'll excuse it as I guess you had no way of knowing whether or not I affiliate myself with the Liberal Left as my numerous criticisms of men ranging from Jimmy Carter to Kofi Annan and my criticisms of women from Cindy Sheehan and Nancy Pelosi don't display anything resembling independent thought. It is clear, I suppose, that I'm a Partisan hack.

really. "Are you aware that he hates Bush?" Yeah, that's what I base everything on.

And just because he identifies with the Right doesn't mean he isn't on the Right. He's definitely on the Right.

Read it a little closer. Are you aware HE (Savage) hates Bush? You lumped him with republicans/conservatives, and he does NOT identify himself with them. He just hates them less than Democrats. So you can come down off your high horse now before you get hurt, no assumptions were made here about you, at least not by me.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
Read it a little closer. Are you aware HE (Savage) hates Bush? You lumped him with republicans/conservatives, and he does NOT identify himself with them. He just hates them less than Democrats. So you can come down off your high horse now before you get hurt, no assumptions were made here about you, at least not by me.

Aside from Michael Savage and the people who make him money....who does Michael Savage not hate?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

You're telling me to read a little closer -- and yet you mentioned Republicans/Conservatives. I didn't mention either. I mentioned The Right. And if you're denying that Savage is a figure from hte Right, you're mad. It's like Nader -- he's not a Democrat, but damn if he isn't on "The Left." "You're aware that he hates Republicans/Bush"? Good for him. I didn't say s*** about Republicans and Bush. I said that I find him the most abhorrent member of The Right.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)

Reason one: Signal Strength - In Chicago you can hear Conservative Talk Radio on WLS and WIND, pretty much all the time. Those are very strong signals. Progressive Talk is on WCPT which is not a metro grade signal.

Reason two: Poor Backers - IIRC: Rush Limbaugh is distributed by Premiere which is owned by Clear Channel and is a marketing priority. Air America Radio has been owned by several groups with little money, and little clout in the radio industry.

Reason three: Lack of Talent - Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and a lot of other conservative talk show hosts understand the radio format and know how to keep a show moving. Only a couple of radio hosts on the progressive side of things understand the format - Lionel, Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes. Randi needs some guidance though - needs someone to reign her in when she goes crazy and overboard.

Reason four: Poor Marketing - Rush Limbaugh has been around forever and is really the first incarnation of what conservative talk has become. But other big hosts - like Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, they both have actual TV shows to cross promote with. Progressive talk doesn't enjoy this. And their solution was bringing in celebrities who don't understand what it takes to make good radio (Marc Maron being the main exception).

Reason five: Different Listening Habits - There are plenty of liberal media consumers out there, they just spread their energies, and they tend to congregate to NPR, I'd imagine. 20 million listeners a week tune into Morning Edition. More than any other radio show in the US.

6.) Advertising dollars funneled through and from Republican donors. Even markets like this which is 90% Dem have a plethora of conservative talk. Give them air time and it makes a profit for the stations regardless of ratings.

7.) All the hatred for the "liberal media" and a desire to know the "truth".

8.) Older people listen to more radio than younger.

9.) as Kickass mentioned, better talent, hands down, not even close. It's like community theater and Broadway.