Tips on how to get built

GoodAsGould

Ive had a membership to Lifetime since like January and I dont think ive been there for the last 3 months and decided it's time for a change. Im like 6'3ish and in the 190ish area in terms of weight... so kinda skinny. Want to bulk up kinda, you know the 6 pack etc, not to the extreme but enough. Im not really familiar with the lifting machines at Lifetime nor how much I should use them. So if anyone could tell me the best machines to use and how often(want to go 3 times a week) that would be a big help.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 06:06 AM)
Ive had a membership to Lifetime since like January and I dont think ive been there for the last 3 months and decided it's time for a change. Im like 6'3ish and in the 190ish area in terms of weight... so kinda skinny. Want to bulk up kinda, you know the 6 pack etc, not to the extreme but enough. Im not really familiar with the lifting machines at Lifetime nor how much I should use them. So if anyone could tell me the best machines to use and how often(want to go 3 times a week) that would be a big help.

Protein. Lots of it. Lifting wise, everybody is different. Maybe worth it to have a couple of appointment with a trainer to find what is right for you.

Go four times a week.

Find a commited partner.

Use free weights, as in dumbells and barbells, machines blow.

Lift heavy....but not right away. Wait two months, then start pounding on the weight.

Minimize the cardio you do.

Eat like a freed prisoner.

Sleep 8 hours a night.

Add daily protein shakes to your diet

Oh and save the money you'd blow on a trainer for now. Once you become an intermediate lifter, they will become more beneficial to you.

Depends if you want to gain size, or slim down and be toned and lean. There are basically 2 schools of thought on which way to go. Alot of people nowadays are focusing on being more lean and having greater flexibility. Which one is it that you want to drive towards?

Sounds like youre interested in beach muscles so youre probably looking at lots of crunches and curling. If not get yourself on a 4 day routine and make sure you go. Eat healthy and continue to do cardio. Im not quite sure why people would tell you to stop doing it. If you just load up on protein and dont do cardio youre not gonna get a 6 pack. With your height and weight its gonna be very hard for you to gain a lot of bulk.

Theres actually a huge movement on losing weight without doing actual cardio work and only focusing on weight resistance. Of course I do not follow that trend. If you are looking to go for a six pack or something of the sort, make sure alot of core strength is your focus, lower back abs, etc. I would check out some of the swiss ball routines that focus on upper body as well as core strength.

Cardio should be something people add in to their weekly workout schedule, but that wasn't the question. The question was to get built. Packing on weight, especially muscle is hard enough. But lots of Cardio will make it harder, as the caloretic impact of vigorous cardio has a much higher impact that working out. If my goal was to pack on weight, I would limit my cardio. I have to use large amounts of high impact cardio in my workout schedule during the week. My goal is different, I am a diabetic who is trying to do two things. One is to burn off glucose in my blood stream and also is to help my muscles in conjunction with medicine I am on, use the glucose more efficiently and realize that there is a need for insulin that my body produces. I am type II, and from the tests I produce some Insulin however my body doesnt know what to do with it, so glucose has a hard time entering in my cells for energy. Kind of a lazy system. LOL

My workouts are high impact running, 8 to 9.5 mph over a 40 to 60 minute period, lots of calories burned. When I first started this, the amount of weight I lost in a short period of time was dramatic. So what I needed to do is to calculate the amount of calories I was going to burn during this, and supplement that back into my system as I don't want to lose more weight. When you do a cardio based activity that gets your heart racing like that, your body will first try and tap the bloodstream for fuel, and then after a period of time 15 to 20 minutes your body will then go to long term stores for food supply. It will then start the process of mining fat, and turn it into food source. So for a person trying to put on weight or bulk, you want to add more calories than your body burns in a day, and then use weightlifting to turn that into muscle and not fat. Thats the purpose of the supplements like muscle milk, and the weight gain shakes. Its to jack up your calorie intake, which a hard cardio workout would burn off. I use the supplements like the shakes to keep my weight normalized. It keeps me at the same weight and allows me to workout and help my medicine work.

The only thing from a health standpoint you should worry about with high protein diets, and these types of protein shakes is more of long term issues with your body processing it. Processing Protein is one of the hardest things your body does. Burning sugars and carbs is one of the easiest. So if any of this is long term, I would suggest that when you get your yearly checkup make sure your doctor screens your kidneys and your liver for any issues. Better to be safe than sorry. Outside of that, just remember. Once you get pumped up, make sure you maintain it. Muscle takes a lot of work to put on, it doesnt take a long time to turn that into something you dont want.

Edited by southsideirish71