What to do about a skunk...

Steve9347

So I get home from work and discover that skunks have doused the yard with their happy scent. From the Web I now know that boiling apple cider vinegar and baking cinnamon help for inside the house (and it is working slowly, this s*** spreads fast)... but what do I do about my lawn?

Does anyone know if there is a trick to get this stench to leave... and is my only option if it happens again to call animal control?

Thanks... this night sucks!

You should jar some air and save it for later. What a terrific fragrance.

Found this on some Do it Yourself website:

Outside the House

Bare wood, concrete, soil: Get chlorinated lime water at drug store, or mix 1 cup agricultural lime in 1 gallon chlorine bleach and put on areas. BE VERY CAREFUL TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS - don't get on skin, clothing, etc. as it will burn (is a caustic solution), and will also burn grass or other vegetation.

Seriously though, skunk musk is good s***.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)

Kalapse already gave you the directions to get rid of the smell. So I will add this insane skunk to the conversation

Allow me to bask briefly in my taxonomic dorkiness to inform you—wholly without the aid of The Google, mind you—that the skunk in that video is Mephites mephites, and not the co-occurring American skunk species Spilogale putorius or its western congener S. gracilis. I took Mammalogy in my senior year of college 20 years ago (yikes), and I still can't purge that cr@p from the cranial hard drive. . .

But, seriously, calling animal control is not the only option. If the skunk is a male and you or one of your neighbors has a pet cat (black with a white belly works best), you can arrange for it to rub against some wet white paint and the resulting stripe down its back often fools skunks into thinking the cat is a female skunk. At that point you can usually get the cat to lead the skunk off your property. I have seen Chuck Jones depict this very strategy on several occasions, so I think your chances of success are quite high.

[A quick word of caution, however. Make sure the cat knows if she is running away from le' skunk and finds that she has accidentally run off the edge of a cliff, she should NOT LOOK DOWN, because she apparently will only succumb to the pull of gravity after she has looked down to discover she is suspended in mid-air.]

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
But, seriously, calling animal control is not the only option. If the skunk is a male and you or one of your neighbors has a pet cat (black with a white belly works best), you can arrange for it to rub against some wet white paint and the resulting stripe down its back often fools skunks into thinking the cat is a female skunk. At that point you can usually get the cat to lead the skunk off your property. I have seen Chuck Jones depict this very strategy on several occasions, so I think your chances of success are quite high.

[A quick word of caution, however. Make sure the cat knows if she is running away from le' skunk and finds that she has accidentally run off the edge of a cliff, she should NOT LOOK DOWN, because she apparently will only succumb to the pull of gravity after she has looked down to discover she is suspended in mid-air.]

:notworthy :lol: :lol: :notworthy

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
Allow me to bask briefly in my taxonomic dorkiness to inform you—wholly without the aid of The Google, mind you—that the skunk in that video is Mephites mephites, and not the co-occurring American skunk species Spilogale putorius or its western congener S. gracilis. I took Mammalogy in my senior year of college 20 years ago (yikes), and I still can't purge that cr@p from the cranial hard drive. . .

Really? Hm. Similar to skunks...

Tell me about Coatimundi.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
No love for my Christmas Vacation reference? I hate you all.

actually it made me laugh out loud in class. This is my first post ever from a class. Yay Con Law

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)

Beautiful, Jim. Just beautiful. (The part about Pepe le Pew - not the science BS)

QUOTE(G&T @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
actually it made me laugh out loud in class. This is my first post ever from a class. Yay Con Law

That's why I've always liked you. You're cool, unlike these other cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sacks of monkey s***.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
That's why I've always liked you. You're cool, unlike these other cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sacks of monkey s***.

you crazy

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)

That reminds me, what time should I drop your mom back off at your house?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 02:58 AM)
Kalapse already gave you the directions to get rid of the smell. So I will add this insane skunk to the conversation

What kind of lowlife leaves a lap dog (or any dog for that matter, but especially a little guy) in an outdoor cage while he works the graveyard shift? I don't care what his excuse is. If there isn't someone in the house to watch after him, or if he can't take the time to potty-train the poor fella, then don't get a dog in the first place.

Secondly, I would absolutely love to play soccer with this dude's head and then shove that camcorder up his ass after watching him kick that skunk. I don't mean to sound like a tree-hugging lunatic, but that sh*t bothered me.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
What kind of lowlife leaves a lap dog (or any dog for that matter, but especially a little guy) in an outdoor cage while he works the graveyard shift? I don't care what his excuse is. If there isn't someone in the house to watch after him, or if he can't take the time to potty-train the poor fella, then don't get a dog in the first place.

Secondly, I would absolutely love to play soccer with this dude's head and then shove that camcorder up his ass after watching him kick that skunk. I don't mean to sound like a tree-hugging lunatic, but that sh*t bothered me.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

At that point of him kicking the skunk, that thing was off its rocker. I honestly think it was rabid, it was not acting right. Then it went bionic skunk on him and was trying to drag itself towards him after he kicked it, which was even crazier.

I dont condone kicking skunks or any animal for that matter, but I dont know if I would have reacted different if I would have seen that thing coming after me and my dog like that. The guy tried to let it out and let it go, but it came after him and his dog when he let it out. And it was biting his dog in the pen too. It was definitely hard to watch though, I dont like seeing animals abused like that.

I still want to know how that skunk got in there, it was chain link and a cement floor. It must have really squeezed itself in there

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)

Hallelujah, and holy s***! Where's the Tylenol?!

I'm just a day late.

Edited by G&T