Byrd's Eye View of God

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
Agreed, it is suspicious. Two of the prescriptions were written by a dentist, there aren't (reportedly) records of any tests for the hormone deficiency, and, although Byrd claimed that he was open about it, MLB and the Indians have said they didn't know. Link to a followup SF Chron story.

Did Byrd have a history of muscle injuries?

Past HGH use is tough to go after, though -- baseball didn't ban it until a week after his last purchase, iirc.

The fact that he didn't purchase after the ban certainly helps his case. And, may I add, that I thought the interview in this thread was great stuff. Still, I'm suspicious.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Agreed, it is suspicious. Two of the prescriptions were written by a dentist, there aren't (reportedly) records of any tests for the hormone deficiency, and, although Byrd claimed that he was open about it, MLB and the Indians have said they didn't know. Link to a followup SF Chron story.

Did Byrd have a history of muscle injuries?

Past HGH use is tough to go after, though -- baseball didn't ban it until a week after his last purchase, iirc.

Often dentists find out about tumors and pitu. conditions because of the location.

(But some are throwing a fit saying dentists don't often prescribe it.)

I don't know the truth. But Byrd looks alright to me.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
Often dentists find out about tumors and pitu. conditions because of the location.

(But some are throwing a fit saying dentists don't often prescribe it.)

I don't know the truth. But Byrd looks alright to me.

Even Byrd has said that the tumor was only found recently (well after his last recorded purchase of HGH).

If his first prescription came from an endocrinologist, it would certainly help his case some. I haven't read anything about the other two prescribing doctors, though.

Though I rarely agree with anything this douchebag says, I think he summed it up here. Jay Mariotti:

I'd like to think baseball's handling of the Byrd situation is a positive step -- but I'm not naive. Byrd claimed MLB officials were aware he was using HGH under a doctor's care to treat a tumor, saying, ``The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states.'' Selig's men and Indians officials moved quickly to deny any knowledge, a departure from baseball's usual hush-hush clampdowns. I was impressed by the rare proactivity of it all.

``We have never granted a (therapeutic use exemption) for (HGH), ever. Not for this guy, not for anybody,'' MLB labor-relations executive Rob Manfred told the New York Daily News. When Indians general manager Mark Shapiro, who has known Byrd since the early '90s, said he didn't know about Byrd's HGH use until last week, it appeared baseball had nailed a victim by its lonesome. And why not? Byrd had lost all credibility by claiming baseball knew when baseball did not know. As for receiving the HGH prescriptions from a doctor, let me say this about those who have been accused of buying the stuff: When you and I have a prescription, we go to Walgreen's. When these guys have a prescription, they allegedly go to an anti-aging clinic that is being investigated by the feds.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
Though I rarely agree with anything this douchebag says, I think he summed it up here. Jay Mariotti:

I'd like to think baseball's handling of the Byrd situation is a positive step -- but I'm not naive. Byrd claimed MLB officials were aware he was using HGH under a doctor's care to treat a tumor, saying, ``The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states.'' Selig's men and Indians officials moved quickly to deny any knowledge, a departure from baseball's usual hush-hush clampdowns. I was impressed by the rare proactivity of it all.

``We have never granted a (therapeutic use exemption) for (HGH), ever. Not for this guy, not for anybody,'' MLB labor-relations executive Rob Manfred told the New York Daily News. When Indians general manager Mark Shapiro, who has known Byrd since the early '90s, said he didn't know about Byrd's HGH use until last week, it appeared baseball had nailed a victim by its lonesome. And why not? Byrd had lost all credibility by claiming baseball knew when baseball did not know. As for receiving the HGH prescriptions from a doctor, let me say this about those who have been accused of buying the stuff: When you and I have a prescription, we go to Walgreen's. When these guys have a prescription, they allegedly go to an anti-aging clinic that is being investigated by the feds.

To be fair to Byrd, that's a very specific statement by MLB, which doesn't contradict what Byrd said. Since the known purchases occurred before MLB banned HGH, there was no need for an "exemption". Byrd only said that the league knew about his medical condition, which hasn't been confirmed or denied.