Barry Rozner on ARod / White Sox

WHITESOXRANDY

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=60316

I'll bet 5 bucks against my house right now that the Sox don't even come close to signing him.

But, even if they brought the same team back with ARod instead of Uribe they wouldn't come close to winning the divison with an outfield of Fields, Owens and Dye and Crede's questionable performance level and the bullpen such as it is.

I know this topic has been beaten to death so I'm stunned Rozner came out with it yet again. Is he serious or just filling space ?

I would love to see the Sox sign ARod even for 10 / $ 300 because that would make them a lot of money and a huge story as long as he's with the team. But, I owuldn't want them to finish 3rd or 4th with him. They would need to add some more pieces which, right now, would mean increasing the payroll even more than $ 30 mil.

I can't see how the Sox would do that. Thoughts ?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
There really isn't much substance in that article. Its kind of disappointing from Rozner. That has more a Kotex-boy feel to it, with a lot of "should"'s and not a lot of real depth. Hopefully he knows something, but it sure didn't seem like it.

The one thing that I don't find makes any sense is how he came up with ARod's signing for $300 million for 10 years would get the Sox back that money 5 fold. How many more tickets can they reasonably sell? How many ARod jerseys can be sold? If paying him that much is such a great deal, how come Tom Hicks has been paying the Yankees to take his contract, which was for less, off his hands? I would love ARod on the White Sox, but financially I don't see where it works out. Pitching still is what wins. If paying him means finding cheap pitching, winning won't be part of the equation.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
The one thing that I don't find makes any sense is how he came up with ARod's signing for $300 million for 10 years would get the Sox back that money 5 fold. How many more tickets can they reasonably sell? How many ARod jerseys can be sold? If paying him that much is such a great deal, how come Tom Hicks has been paying the Yankees to take his contract, which was for less, off his hands? I would love ARod on the White Sox, but financially I don't see where it works out.

The whole article had the kind of a feel to me. It was almost like he was just putting something together on the basis of "because". The five-fold number struck me as hyperbole versus anything rooted in substance or research. The article really was not well written.

To me, I dont really see money being an issue with a player like A-Rod because of the revenue he would create, especially seeing how he would be approaching Bonds record within the next 5-7 years.

And I think the impact he would have on this lineup would be devastating to opposing pitchers. Replacing Uribe's numbers with A-rods and sliding him back to short would be tremendous IMO. heck, i would even option Uribe as a supersub, since that seems to be the last time he actually had a really productive season.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)

I'll bet 5 bucks against my house right now that the Sox don't even come close to signing him.

But, even if they brought the same team back with ARod instead of Uribe they wouldn't come close to winning the divison with an outfield of Fields, Owens and Dye and Crede's questionable performance level and the bullpen such as it is.

I know this topic has been beaten to death so I'm stunned Rozner came out with it yet again. Is he serious or just filling space ?

I would love to see the Sox sign ARod even for 10 / $ 300 because that would make them a lot of money and a huge story as long as he's with the team. But, I owuldn't want them to finish 3rd or 4th with him. They would need to add some more pieces which, right now, would mean increasing the payroll even more than $ 30 mil.

I'll take that bet.

The article definitely seems more like theorizing than having any actual information. But I do think they will make an attempt at him, if he leaves NY. Its not outside the realm of possibility he ends up with the Sox. Just a long shot.

And by the way, as for jerseys and other A-Rod gear... if I recall correctly, the Sox don't get any money directly from that, unless its through the vendors within the ballpark. The money goes to MLB, and is not sent to a specific team for their specific merchandise.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I'll take that bet.

The article definitely seems more like theorizing than having any actual information. But I do think they will make an attempt at him, if he leaves NY. Its not outside the realm of possibility he ends up with the Sox. Just a long shot.

And by the way, as for jerseys and other A-Rod gear... if I recall correctly, the Sox don't get any money directly from that, unless its through the vendors within the ballpark. The money goes to MLB, and is not sent to a specific team for their specific merchandise.

I think the team gets a greater percentage and then the rest is shared evenely as "revenue sharing". I could be completely wrong though. I thought that was why teams change their look so ofter to get people to buy their s***. Anyone that buys stuff at the park should be shot.

I would put the Sox at even money to get him unless some team does something stupid.

Actually the figure is out there-you know what it would cost-kinda takes dealings with Borass for $ out of the picture. And you wonder how much Comcast would encourage the Sox in ways to make it happen, with all the agent's references to Sports networks. As he always does, Borass pulls everyone into it

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
First of all, nobody is worth that contract. Its absurd.

Secondly, I would pay for Santana before I would pay for A-rod

Odd as this might sound... Santana is probably a bigger impact player than A-Rod for a team, but, I'd still pay for A-Rod over Santana at that level of money. Pitchers are just a lot more susceptible to injury risk, plus A-rod is out there every day.

But I agree that I don't think any team should pay a third of their payroll for one player - its too dangerous.

I'd be surprised if we signed him. From what I've heard -- and I can't be the only one here -- he's still sore about Guillen's comments re: WBC, the other side of Chicago is a much better fit for him because of Lou, and I really doubt we pay what he asks for -- or that he deserves what he asks for.

But I'll wait and see.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)

I saw something mentioned on the boards here suggesting a trade of Konerko and Garland to the Angels. I think if the Sox were to get ARod, you're definitely saying goodbye to those two at least whether it's to the Angels or not. Otherwise the Sox will just have to increase payroll drastically.

This article is a massive heap of dung. While I don't doubt that Kenny has talked to Boras about A-Rod, there's pretty much zero chance that JR is going to fork over the $200+ million in guaranteed money that A-Rod is going to command. LOL at the $1.5 BILLION that A-Rod will supposedly bring into the organization via ticket and merchandise sales and his penchant for biting it in the playoffs. How much profit did the Sox make off of Albert Belle? Probably not much, as they were happy to let him walk via an escape clause after two years of sagging attendance (even after he set the franchise records for HRs and 2Bs in '98). Also LOL at JR supposedly wanting a marquee player to stick it to the Cubs... as if winning a ring two years ago and watching the sCrUBS get swept by the Diamondbacks isn't enough.

I'd be fine with the Sox paying A-Rod $30 million/year IF it's only a three-year-deal. And we all know that isn't going to happen. I don't think that he'll get $300 million in guaranteed money, but I'm sure that he won't settle for less than $150 million.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
I'd be fine with the Sox paying A-Rod $30 million/year IF it's only a three-year-deal. And we all know that isn't going to happen. I don't think that he'll get $300 million in guaranteed money, but I'm sure that he won't settle for less than $150 million.

The problem with that from a business standpoint, is that you aren't getting the meat of the return on investment within 3 years. The most money that Arod will produce for your team will come in years 5+ when he's approaching multiple records. From a pure baseball production standpoint, a 3 year deal makes the most sense, but to JR that's probably not the case. It has probably crossed JR's mind that he brought the greatest basketball player to ever live to Chicago, and now he has the chance to bring in and keep probably the greatest baseball player to ever live to Chicago. Reinsdorf would be a god in this city. Whether it all makes sense to us is a different story, but there are issues past the bottom line on a signing like this one. I'm definitely not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
The problem with that from a business standpoint, is that you aren't getting the meat of the return on investment within 3 years. The most money that Arod will produce for your team will come in years 5+ when he's approaching multiple records. From a pure baseball production standpoint, a 3 year deal makes the most sense, but to JR that's probably not the case. It has probably crossed JR's mind that he brought the greatest basketball player to ever live to Chicago, and now he has the chance to bring in and keep probably the greatest baseball player to ever live to Chicago. Reinsdorf would be a god in this city. Whether it all makes sense to us is a different story, but there are issues past the bottom line on a signing like this one. I'm definitely not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Agreed that they might not get so much on their $90 million investment over just three years. Good point.

But I completely disagree with your comparison of A-Rod to Jordan. MJ was a god because he WON CHAMPIONSHIPS. A-Rod has a very average .279 playoff batting average and has been average-to-awful under playoff pressure recently, has significantly less impact on each game in his sport than MJ had, and his $30 million/year contract would severely cripple the Sox's ability to go after other difference-making free agents that they would need to get them over the top (e.g., Contreras, Garcia, etc.). Basketball teams are small and you can get away with spending ridiculously on one marquee player. As A-Rod has shown, it doesn't work that way in baseball... there are 24 other roster spots to fill. Plus, A-Rod is already 32 and probably won't be hitting 50+ HRs halfway into that 10-year/$300 million deal. You don't give a blockbuster deal like that (or even a $200 million deal) to a player on the wrong side of 30.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)

I think people forget that just a little over 10 years ago Reinsdorf...after complaining loudly for years about baseball salaries...made Albert Belle the highest paid player in baseball. People's jaws dropped at the time. But we need to remember that Reinsdorf is a smart businessman. The quest for Arod would be in an attempt to win the city of Chicago. This is a battle fought over decades...last off season the Cubs spent $300 million to get themselves a 3 and out in the playoffs...and who would bet on them for next year. If Reinsdorf spends $300 million on Arod and Rowand...trades Garland for prospects?? The city would be ABUZZ. When the Cubs get sold...WGN comes with hat and wallet in hand to pay for Sox TV. Young suburban baseball fans start wearing AROD jersies. It's really a great plan. To win Chicago it could be argued that Arod is more valuable to the Sox than any team in baseball.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
I think people forget that just a little over 10 years ago Reinsdorf...after complaining loudly for years about baseball salaries...made Albert Belle the highest paid player in baseball. People's jaws dropped at the time. But we need to remember that Reinsdorf is a smart businessman. The quest for Arod would be in an attempt to win the city of Chicago. This is a battle fought over decades...last off season the Cubs spent $300 million to get themselves a 3 and out in the playoffs...and who would bet on them for next year. If Reinsdorf spends $300 million on Arod and Rowand...trades Garland for prospects?? The city would be ABUZZ. When the Cubs get sold...WGN comes with hat and wallet in hand to pay for Sox TV. Young suburban baseball fans start wearing AROD jersies. It's really a great plan. To win Chicago it could be argued that Arod is more valuable to the Sox than any team in baseball.

Personally I think ARod is probably worth more to the Marlins. They have a low payroll, he's from Miami, he will draw big, and help them get a new stadium. He'll get ripped for going there, but the only team with more championships the last 10 years than the Marlins are the Yankees. Ramirez, ARod and Cabrera would be a left side that could match probably any in history.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)

Reinsdorf is intelligent enough to know that signing a marquee player won't "win over" Chicago baseball fans. It didn't happen with Albert Belle, who appeared to be headed to the HOF back when the Sox signed him. The only way to "win over" fans from the Cubs, and the only way for the Cubs to increase their fan base, is to WIN. And since the Cubs can't win, and the Sox have very recently, it's not like the Sox have their back against the wall in terms of fan support.

The only way that JR and his board would ever sign A-Rod would be if A-Rod/Boras agreed to several "out" clauses in the contract (salary ranking, diminished skills, etc.) so that he could dump the remaining $200+ million on some other owner if the A-Rod experiment went awry. And since dedicating 1/3 of one's payroll to one player doesn't work in baseball, I seriously doubt that A-Rod would be in Chicago for more than a few years. And, most importantly, paying A-Rod an obscene amount of money wouldn't help the Sox win.

And I really think that the number of A-Rod jerseys being sold is somewhat exaggerated. While A-Rod may be a "star", he's not exactly embraced by fans in the same way that Jordan was. A-Rod is basically seen as a great regular-season player who doesn't get it done in the playoffs and who has a somewhat contrived personality. He's not perceived as a winner and he's not going to be the Derek Jeter of Chicago.

Edited by WCSox