Barry Rozner on ARod / White Sox

WHITESOXRANDY

Boston has become the Yankees in regard to salary. They can give money away without any repurcussions to it being a bad contract. They suffered with Manny's contract for years. Lugo and Drew are bad deals. Dice-K can be average for the rest of the contract and it will not matter to them. There is no such thing as a bad contract to the Yankees or Red Sox for the most part. I wish the NL had a team other than the cubs that were run like that. The Mets are close but they do have some restraint.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
Boston has become the Yankees in regard to salary. They can give money away without any repurcussions to it being a bad contract. They suffered with Manny's contract for years. Lugo and Drew are bad deals. Dice-K can be average for the rest of the contract and it will not matter to them. There is no such thing as a bad contract to the Yankees or Red Sox for the most part. I wish the NL had a team other than the cubs that were run like that. The Mets are close but they do have some restraint.

I agree with the entire post but that line, because quite frankly, I'll suffer a $20 mill salary for a 1.000+ OPS and ridiculous marketing.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
I agree with the entire post but that line, because quite frankly, I'll suffer a $20 mill salary for a 1.000+ OPS and ridiculous marketing.

Funny you should say that seeing as how the Red Sox have been willing to give Ramirez away in previous seasons and the White Sox need a LFer.

The way this team is currently built (ie slow power hitters) I don't think Manny would be a good fit here regardless of his OPS.

But get some guys with some speed who can get on base....

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Funny you should say that seeing as how the Red Sox have been willing to give Ramirez away in previous seasons and the White Sox need a LFer.

The way this team is currently built (ie slow power hitters) I don't think Manny would be a good fit here regardless of his OPS.

But get some guys with some speed who can get on base....

Bob

If by give him away, you mean trade him for Alex Rodriguez, then you are correct.

They did put him on irrevocable waivers after like the 2002 season, but that was when there was still like $80-100 mill left on the deal. It'd be a hell of a risk to take on that much money, even on a hitter as good as Manny.

The talk is that Arod is going to be offered a 5 year extension from the Yanks that will be around the 30M per year range. It would also make Arod signed for the next 8 seasons in New York (till he's 40). No way will the Sox make an 8 year offer to him. I could see them going 5 years 150M, but not 8YRs 200+.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
So if you are Borass do you let ARod say yes to 3 years at 27 million, plus 5 years at 30 million each? Or does he try to hit the 10 year 300 million dollar grand slam.

There is little doubt that Boras won't have to 'try' for the $300 mill. He already knows if he can get it or not. He's blowing a lot of smoke right now which is whwat he does best. There's no doubt there is tampering involved, just like the JD Drew negotiations last year. If A-Rod accepts 'only' a 5 year $250 mill extention with the Yanks it's because he knows he wasn't going to get more then that elsewhere. If he opts out, there's no doubt that the team that signs him has already expressed interest to Boras.

It will be hard to prove tampering, unless a team can somehow set him up and let MLB know ahead of time of the plan. It won't happen. Odds are A-Rod is staying with the Yanks. There's a very limited number of teams that would actually realistically give out the contract Boras wants.

Bob